Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me decide please. 22" or 26" kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 22”, a 26”, and a PBC. I sold the 22” Performer Deluxe earlier this year, tho I do have the SNS XL and easy spin grate for my 26” and neither are available anymore. The side table was nice, but I found something else I’m liking even better (outdoor side table on wheels with a stainless steel top) so I don’t miss it. We’re a family of 3, and I often was frustrated by the lack of space on the 22” and didn’t use all the extras very often. I love the 26” and still use the same vortex and wok in it that I used in my 22”. The 26” just takes a bit more fuel to run. I find it a great compliment to my PBC, and still choose to smoke on it sometimes since it’s a noticeably different flavor profile and I tend to get a lot more bark on it (but never chicken, that’s reserved for the PBC ha!) If you’re cooking for 8 or more sometimes I’d go for the 26”. FWIW...

Comment

DurhamBuckeye think about how your going to use it the most. For example there are only 2 of us and I have to plan carefully on my 22 kettle to cook dinner on her. I will cook meat and vegetables for and entire meal and hardly have any room left over. So think carefully if the 22 is big enough or you can make it work for you.

@JBMorgan list of what you can cook is a good one. But you can get a raised shelf and increase your space Mine is from Smokenator, I saw that Adrenaline had one So instead of 1 brisket you can do 2 and so on. You won't be able to double every thing but about 1/2 - 2/3 depending on what your smoking or cooking.

You get it all with the Elevated Cooking Grate: a larger cooking space AND more versatility to your grilling styles. 304 Stainless Steel.

Good luck on you decision.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 5, 2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I have a 22 & others. Go 26 cuz it’s bigger! Mo is better!

Comment

• DurhamBuckeye
        DurhamBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        Straight to the point. Thanks!

Either go with the 26 or a pair of used 22s for the same price or less.

Comment

• DurhamBuckeye
        DurhamBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        Two 22's , Hadn't really considered that. 🤔

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm findin myself likin th way yer thinkin, Brother Attjack lol!

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a 26 and a Jumbo Joe. I sometimes find the 26 a little too big and sometimes find the 18 a little too small. If you get a pair you can not only have flexibility in terms of capacity you can run them at different temps.

Having had both, the 26 real estate is helpful. When you want to cook sides and mains at once you quickly run out of room on the 22”. Plus a 20lb brisket or a spatchcocked turkey will fit in the 26” easily...

You’ve got a lot of other equipment so you could go either way.

Comment

26 all the way!

Comment

Thanks to all for your input/advice. I think I'm gonna go with a 26" with sns & vortex.

I told my wife I was trying to decide between the two & she immediately said to get the 26", so I don't have to do any convincing. But she has watched me labor in 90+ degree heat over the last several weeks putting in a paver patio so I could move my cookers off the deck at her request (and she really likes everything I cook).

So I'm going to be a bit patient & watch for a deal on the 26 & will share some pics from my first cook once I get her home.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Congratulations! You're going to love the 26. I bought the 26 first and then the original SnS and it has been a dream. Even though it is just the two of us at home, I can almost always cook the meat and two sides without issue at the same time on the 26. My only regret is I didn't buy a second 26 when I bought the 22, just to have the extra room. The 22 has served us well and is a rib machine with the SnS but I would like to have the extra real estate the 26 provides.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats! Hey, we also have a "show us your outside kitchen" sticky so post some pic's of your new spot!

26 no doubt about it. The 26 with the original SnS is a dream. I ran mine that way until I got the XL SnS cuz I needed it.

Comment

22” all day.

in addition to more options in general, almost everything related to the 26” is way pricier. The slight convenience of a 26” over like a pair of 22” models just isn’t worth it to me.

If money is no object, the 26” is fine or if you really need that space a lot. Even for smoking though, I can do a pair of butts or a packer in the 22” without an issue.

Comment

• binarypaladin
              binarypaladin commented
              Editing a comment
              And I just noticed the final comment. Haha. 26 it is.

I have cooked on both extensively and the 26 without a doubt is my preferred kettle!

Comment

The 26”, no question. We are a family of 3 and I do not regret purchasing the 26”. It’s easier than the 22” in almost every way.

Comment

Sounds like other cookers matter here a lot. I rarely try a full meal on one cooker. I make heavy use of my WSM and my Jumbo Joe along with my 22” kettle. Maybe that’s why I never find myself wanting with the 22, even with a family of 5 and usually 2-3 more on top of that for most cooks.

When I need two zones, I can spread that across two cookers.

Incidentally, all this conversation has done is made me think I owe it to myself to get another cooker for Christmas, lol.

Comment

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Merry Christmas!

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am in that same situation too - if I need to cook two different things, I spread it across 2-3 grills. Veggies/chicken/whatever on one, burgers/whatever on another. I've got two Weber Genesis gas grills with Grillgrates at the moment, the 22" Performer, and an offset that doubles as a charcoal grill with 748 sq inches grate space.

And... Merry Christmas! Let us know what Santa brings you!

I have a family of 6 and we sometimes have friends or family over for dinner. For that reason I bought the 26 inch kettle and SNS and am glad I did. The extra real estate is nice. Additionally, it’s a versatile grill. I modified it with a guru fan adapter for whenever I plan long cooks. It will easily fit a large packer brisket, 2-3 butts, a large spatchcocked turkey, 6 chicken halves, and I have cooked 5 racks of ribs (standing them on edge using a rack). I mostly cook hot and fast now and it does that admirably. I had no idea the XL SNS had been discontinued, but honestly I wish I had purchased the regular SNS with removable water reservoir. That’ll give you even more grilling space. The 26 Weber is a machine and I don’t think it gets as much publicity as it should. Beside my 26 inch Weber, I have a PBC and between those two, I can cook for a crowd.

Comment

Buy one of each! That way you can get all the toys you want for the 22 and have the real estate of the 26 available as needed.

So... I'm half joking. I have 3 22s (one Premium, 2 Performers) that I bought used and got them all for half of what a new 26 plus a cover would have cost me. But I am on the lookout daily for a used 26 to add to the collection because I would really like the extra cooking space. A quick look on Facebook Marketplace searching for Weber within 40 miles of Durham returns this (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7345987301541/). No pictures of the insides, which I would definitely ask for.

22s can be found so cheap that if the higher price of the 26 makes you hesitant (as it made me), I'd buy a 22 and keep and eye out for a used 26 in case one pops up. If owning one of each isn't an option, can always sell the 22 if you manage to find a 26. Plus, if by some chance you decide you don't like cooking on the kettle as much as your other grills, you haven't dropped the extra $$ on the 26.

I've also found that going the Craig's List/Facebook Marketplace route often has a cover, chimney starter, and some other goodies (charcoal, bbq tools) thrown in.

Comment

• jumbo7676
                    jumbo7676 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I didn't see there was a 2nd page of comments before responding. Looks like you already made a decision. Good luck in your search for a 26 and happy cooking!

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I decided to go with the 26". I was able to stack up some coupons & cash back to get $60 off a new one, which arrived this weekend.

I'm really happy with the size of it, and I know it'll be a workhorse for me. pic from the beginning of the cook

We had some friends over for dinner tonight so I fired it up to make up some wings. I used a pecan chunk & finished with 3 different sauces, hot buffalo, sweet BBQ & Caribbean jerk.

Here's a pic from the start of the cook. I forgot to get one at the end, with hungry kids & guests.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Thanks again for your advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191013_172309.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	755701 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Ben Que'n
                    Ben Que'n commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very wise decision for sure!
                    #nowthatssmokin

• LA Pork Butt
                    LA Pork Butt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have fun with your new toy!

• holehogg
                    holehogg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good advice given all round excellent decision made. Happy cooks ahead.
                    Must add great choice for first cook.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here