Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber 22” kettle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber 22” kettle question

As I’ve been using my 22” kettle this year, I’ve noticed some things about the stability and fit of the lid that I wanted to ask others about.

I purchased this at Home Depot in May, was already assembled and on sale for $60 compared to the original cost of $160. There were three available (I should have bought all three!) and I bought what I thought was the most stable of the three.

After 4-5 months, I’ve noiced the lid is not necessarily the easiest to put on, as it has to be somewhat perfect to make sure it is on and sealed as well as possible. Also, When I roll it to store in the shed or use for a cook, a slight bump and it falls off.

As for stability, it is stable, but it seems to "twist" a bit from the legs to the kettle part. So, maybe not stability but just something I noticed. I tried to make a few adjustments to the legs, ash catcher and kettle and that seems to have helped but it still moves.

But, is this normal for the kettle grills? Or, is this possibly why they were on sale for $100 off? I just purchased some heat seal that I’m going to install for the lid to provide a better seal during cooks, but hopefully there is a side benefit of holding it on and making placing the lid on a tad easier.

Just thought I’d ask - as my OCD is kicking in as I’ve been using it more as of late.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds like the lid is slight out of round. I have had a couple old kettles like that and a quick squeeze usually fixes the problems. Find out where it is a oblong and give it a hug. Should straighten it out.

Or register it and call Weber and see if they will give you a warranty replacement. They have been great for me on a few different occasions when I had problems.

Comment

Regarding the wobbliness, mine are very wobbly. How they're built with the snap-together ease of assembly I suppose. When scraping the grates off I often have to hold the handle to keep it stable.

Comment

Hmmmm.... mine are solid as a rock. Both the 22 and the 26.

Perhaps i I just have a routine down and maybe they wobble. But I don’t think they are wobbly at all.

My kids are also solid and stay on but do leak so I use the binder clips without issue.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice to know your kids are solid but what about the kettles?

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP Dang. Meant to say lids.

I think it was a display model and was probably banged around in the store . The seal is not that big of a deal, I would just deal with it if it’s not bad. Mine seals great but the lid does bounce off whole rolling over rough surfaces.

Comment

I have found the kettle lid can be a little oblong and like above mentioned a big hug. or find the spot and roll it on the grass across that area and it will likely get to round form. I have not worried about it on one, and just learned to smoke with it in that form, also, you can put it on and turn the lid until it is tight, and set yourt grill up with that in mind...?

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. Sounds like its about what to expect. It isn’t bad, and if you were at the house and went to use it, I’m sure you wouldn’t really notice it. But I will take a look at the lid and hug it a few times 😁 I think that will be what fixes that part.

And the wobble, I guess is more of a slight movement. Not really there, just if I’m cleaning it or moving the grate around. So, more OCD than anything. And being a 3 legged grill, there has to be a little play I guess.

I appreciate the help everyone.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Use a tape measure across the width a few different angles, you will find the spot

You might consider adding a gasket to your lid. Seems to help mine seal better.

LavaLock 12 GREY High Performance BBQ gasket smoker seal SELF STICK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9FE60K..._m-IGDb03VP170

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought this Sunday and is being delivered today! Will install and test out this weekend after cleaning the area well.

Thanks for the link!

You can always add a stick on gasket and not worry about it.

Comment

I had an old 1997 kettle that I rescued from my mother-in-law when she was cleaning a shed out, and that thing was horrible to roll around. Often the legs would just come out of the sockets, and it would all fall apart. They were just friction fit I think back then. I got to where if I was moving it across the yard, it was best to just pick it up and carry it. That said, I gave it to a friend who is kinda hard off financially, and was grilling on an even older kettle where he had to support the cooking grate with bricks, as the welds that held the grate brackets on had broken on one side. He was very appreciate, and I am sure he is still grilling on it.

All in all, I think the leg socket design could be improved with some type of fastener to lock the leg in better during assembly.

As far as the lid fit - sounds like it is out of round, as others have mentioned, and you ought to be able to just compress it some, when you find out which direction it is bigger in, and tweak it.

Comment

I had lid leak right out of the box so just bought some paper binder clips and that sealed the problem. If yours is new call Weber and in all likelihood they will send you a new lid. I got one free from them a few years back.

Comment

Making a ribeye tonight on the kettle. I looked at the lid a bit, hugged it, squeezed it, and loved it like it was my very own bunny wabbit...... wait, that’s the abomibababal snowman cartoon....

the love hug hug fixed the kid issue not sitting great. Love it. Tomorrow I’ll clean the lid and put some sealing tape on since I ordered it as well.

Thanks for the tips!
                  Last edited by barelfly; September 20, 2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So glad to hear that part worked out fer ya...

Good luck with th gasket tapin, hope ya like th outcome!

I've never felt any need to do so, but totally unnerstand if someone wants it on their kettles...

I liken it to paintin a perfeckly good brick wall...once ya done it, then ya'll always have to re-do it, every so often, cause it will inevitably wear off, crack, peel, etc..

I tend to avoid doin things that add another lifelong chore to my already very full To Do List...

Smoke On!!!
                    Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 20, 2019, 08:27 PM.

Over the years I have had this problem as well. Sometimes from the factory, and sometimes from "Drinking while BBQing" and dropping the lid on its side. Either way as JoeSousa said, inspect carefully, find out where the out of round is, give it a hug....It will hug you back!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here