Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The grill that started it all (probably for many)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I built my first grill at ~ 13, (almost 60 years ago). It was a Charles Chip can that I punched some holes around the bottom rim. I don't remember what I used for a grate, but I do remember scrounging the neighborhood for sticks to use as fuel.

Next grill was a Weber kettle about 36 years ago when my Dad and I built the first house for my wife, son and I. Been cookin' on a kettle since except for a short period when I tried a gas grill. I was glad that I had kept the kettle.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      My Carolina cousins used to send use big tins of Charles Chips. We in turn would counter with Jays 👍

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man, I remember the days of still having a milk man, and the Charles Chip guy coming by in his truck selling chips and cookies.we always had the big cans of potato chips.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      My aunt used to get Charles chips delivered. They sell them in the local Fresh Market in bags, but they don't compare to the ones that used to come in the cans. Or maybe I am my uncles now "they don't make sh$%@$ like they used to" lol

I started with a little hibachi, moved to gas grills for years, and now my favorite is probably my kettle. Also acquired a Lodge hibachi just for the memories.

Comment

Started with a cheapo charcoal grill from the hardware store. That rusted out and I got talked into the "convenience" of a gas grill. What a mistake. That thing had 2 heat offerings: fester and incinerate. It was a memorable day when I took that piece of crap to the curb and replaced it with a Weber 22. Later got a Smokenator and the rest is history!

Comment

Growing up my parents had one of these:

And one of these:

I was a gas grill guy for a long time. Then I got a BGE.

Comment

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          Your red grill is a twin of the one I started with🤣.

I started with a little hibachi and from there I moved up to a Weber Kettle.

Comment

Up until 2 years ago the only experience I had of outdoor cooking was live fire. I have had numerous shapes and sizes over the last 35 years. Some made from truck rims others 1/2 drum on a stand to bent up steel rectangular or box shaped braais.

Just over 2 years ago I was building a food trailer and decided to add a smoker inside. In short I manufactured a large verticle gasser. In hindsight I would have made it with a few changes. It works fine as is.

After completing my project when looking for some guidance with smoking foods came across AR and joined the pit.

Now I don't need to tell anybody what effect the Pit can have especially with infecting one with MCS.
          I persevered with my HB and convinced myself that the kettle is not as wonderful as it's made out to be.
          Found out what a big mistake that thought was when I finally acquired one. It is so convenient and does a fine job.

I made a gizmo that converts my kettle to a stick burner that I use from time to time for familiarizing myself with stick burning.
          It is definitely more work and is used to practice for when my HB offset is finished.

Then I need to get a gas grill to satisfy the itch followed by a PBC.
          I have given up on my UDS for fear of being disappointed in the cook results vs the real deal.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't forget some pavers. ;o

20 years ago when we bought our house I bought a Charbroil gasser, because we always had a gasser when I was growing up. About a year later the Mrs stoked the MCS by buying me the Weber Kettle. That was it for a while. Now I have 4 and wondering what the 5th will be. Sure do like the look of the Good One Open Range.

Comment

My first charcoal grill was a BGE. But if I’d had the Weber first, I would probably never gotten the BGE.

Comment

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a BGE and a PK360. never thought about a kettle. Then I bought a used Performer for camp. That is a great grill with the Slow and Sear. Easily does two zone cooking with the slow and sear and gets hotter than the PK for indirect cooks..

Back about 1965, my college roommate and I bought a small hibachi. We'd go to the 2 or 3 supermarkets in the small town where we lived and collect cuts from the reduced price meat rack. That's where I developed a love for flank steak. We also scored a lot of chuckies which we'd marinate all day in soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and then incinerate on the hibachi. God, they tasted good. Got my first Weber kettle about 1978. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Comment

The last grill Dad had was a Weber kettle so this is what I learned on. Read burn meat.
              I bought a Smokey Joe after getting married. Great for cook outs at the park or camp site. Went through a couple of gassers before getting a full size kettle.

Comment

A home depot gasser until my sister who hails from Texas informed me that I dont bbq I grill the hobby started due to sibling rivalry. I bought a copy of Steve Raichlen Bbq Bible and got a 40 dollar electric brinkman smoker from lowes. The electric soon became a uds
                Last edited by tenphases; September 15, 2019, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Had a cheap stamped hibachi that rusted out on me. Purchased a Weber Gas Go Anywhere in the early 90’s and the rest is history as they say. Still have the GGA. It’s in storage at the moment. I need to get it out and clean it up...

Comment

My first grill was a gasser from Lowe's or HD, twas a birthday gift before I left for college. My roomates ruined it for me. They had a Weber kettle (similar to OP) and I absolutely loved cooking on charcoal. I didn't even mind the extra time it took for us to cook a quick meal, heck, we were in college, didn't really have many commitments so it didn't matter how long it took. I used the gasser infrequently, but eventually sold it to a buddy and we just cooked the wheels off that weber. My parents didn't mind, they loved the food that came off the charcoal.
                    Last edited by au4stree; September 16, 2019, 03:10 PM. Reason: edited to add content

Comment

My first was an old refrigerator, the kind with a latch type handle and "freezer" inside the refrigerator. Pulled the compressor and "stuff" out of the bottom section for the firebox. Used a fire ax (from our volunteer fire dept) to chop holes between the firebox and main compartment. Used a 22 rifle to shoot holes in the sides and top for ventilation. Having a biology/chenmistry degree i was aware of the potential health problems associated with cooking in a plastic coated (and probably lead painted) environment. Being an East Texas country boy I chose to pretty much ignore those potential side effects. Built a large fire in the refrigerator compartment to burn off any poisonous or volatile chemicals. Scraped out anything that melted or peeled. Used old 3 pound coffee cans to hold the fire in the bottom (ccompressor) section. Could fit 2 cans at a time so we could start charcoal and wood outside the cooker and then swap out the cans without opening the cook box. It worked great. Could fit 8 large turkeys in it for the church Thanksgiving dinner or about 9 briskets for fire dept fund raising dinners. And other than the extra nipple and a couple of weird growths on my back there haven't been any adverse health problems. Not sure what happened to it as I left it to the fire dept a couple of years later when I moved away.

Comment

• AZ Fogey
                        AZ Fogey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great story. So what are you cooking on now?

• KenC52
                        KenC52 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Pit Boss Tailgater, Oklahoma Joe verticle stick burner, Weber Performer, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe (with homemade mini WSM added), Weber Q120 (with a steel plate making a small griddle), 36 inch Blackstone

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here