Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp control fan for kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp control fan for kettle

Just got my Slow n Sear. Do l need a fan for kettle for temp control in addition?

A good temp control fan makes cookin' super easy, but you don't have to have one. Ya just need to learn to control the temps with the vents. The key here is to not move a vent every two minutes. Let the temp settle in when you move a vent. And I also suggest that when you find the proper vent setting, use a paint pen to mark that location. I just put a mark across the edge of the movable vent cover onto the kettle lid. That will be the place to start next time. And you can do that for each temp you use.

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Or something like electrical tape if you're ADD like me.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Razor - plastic electrical tape might not be a good idea on hot metal...

I have been testing the Thermoworks Billows on one of my kettles. Still need to use it a couple more times to form an opinion.

Up until now I haven't had a problem keeping steady enough temps with just the SNS. Once you get it dialed in it does hold very steady. But if the Billows can get me an extra hour or two of sleep on the long overnight cooks I think it will be worth it.

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      That video is FANTASTIC! Is that you?

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Razor no, not my video. Just one I found and added to the post.

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Good work finding it.

You absolutely dont need one. That said, makes it a hell of a lot less stressful. SnS set up vids from the company will run pretty true and solid. Ur bigger worries in my experience will not be getting too cold unless you completely ignore it, but getting too hot if its sitting in direct sun for example. In which case a fan is not going to help you.

All that said, i have the pit viper and digi Q set up and i love it, but do i need it? No. Do i love having it? Yes

Having a fan set up gets you that much closer to the pink dragon chase of set it and forget it.

Comment

I spent 39 years with out anything it just takes time to learn how to manage the vents. The setting will vary on weather conditions more than any other thing. Keep a smoking diary of each of your cooks will help you learn as you can look back at your previous cooks. I finally got lazy and bought a DigiQ at the beginning of the year for my kettle and boy am I glad I did. No more jumping up and adjusting vents as the weather changed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here