Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Kettle Thermometer Wire Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Kettle Thermometer Wire Question

For the past 5 months, I've been using a 2002 Weber OTS that was left behind at a house we bought in early Spring. The kettle is in decent shape, although the lid does not seal especially well to the base. I've had some success improving the lid seal with binder clips. I've added a SnS and a Thermoworks Smoke. I like the grill (and love the SnS!), but not as much as my 16 year-old OTG that we left behind when we moved. So I will be upgrading. Experience with this grill along with my previous OTG, helpful comments from the Pit, and the space available on our patio, have me inclined to buy a new Weber Performer Deluxe.

My questions/issues have to do with routing of temperature probes while maintaining a seal between lid and base in a Performer Deluxe. It would be helpful to get some input from the Pit before I acquire a new kettle.

One option is drilling holes for grommets. After reading about Pit members adding WSM grommets and other drill-related solutions, I followed the suggestion (and video tutorial https://vimeo.com/134139647) from former member Jon Solberg. I drilled two 3/8" holes (about 1/32" larger than Smoke probe transitions) in the OTS. That seems to work well enough.

Another option is to install a gasket.

Should I drill holes? Install a gasket? Both? Other suggestions?

Questions:
    1. Will a lid gasket accommodate temperature probe wires and maintain a tight seal between lid and base?
    2. Is a lid gasket preferable to drilling probe holes in the kettle's base?
    3. Will the integrated table on the Performer Deluxe get in the way of binder clips, if they are needed to seal the kettle?
    4. When is the best time to install a lid gasket? Before the initial use of the kettle? Or does that matter?
    5. Lava Lock's seller on Amazon suggests that their "Fireblack" gasket is better for the Kettle than Lava Lock. Any comments?
    6. What is the preferred location for the SnS in a Performer Deluxe? 12 O'Clock? 9 O'Clock? ?

Thanks for any advice.

As soon as you start cookin' on a new grill, grease and creosote will start to build up on the lid. You will have to remove it all to install a gasket. So it seems to me that installing the gasket first would get the best seal from the adhesive. The problem is that you don't really know if you need a gasket until you cook on the kettle. I think you should be ok if you cook once to see if you need a gasket, and if you do, clean the area where the gasket attaches with something like acetone.

I drilled one hole, (5/8" if I remember correctly), and put a brass close nipple in it. I also found a brass threaded cap to close the hole when not using a probe. I also had to grind the nipple shorter on both sides so that L-shaped probes would fit through the opening.

If you use a gasket, try running the wires between the base and lid to see if you are getting leaks. If you are, you can just cut small notches for the wires. A little smoke will not hurt.

The table does interfere with clips

Location of the SnS depends on your cookin' style. I have mine at 9:00 and t hat works for me. YMMV

Comment

I've always run my wires under my lids on all my cookers. I don't have the heart to drill holes since that's a permanent action. The amount that this affects your temps, if even measurable, is inconsequential. Don't slam and jam and it won't damage your wires either. But of course, different strokes for different folks. Gaskets are always a good idea, although I still haven't gone the gasket route myself on any of mine.

Comment

• Rolo Tomassi
      Rolo Tomassi commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Huskee.

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to see I’m not the only one. I figure for what those wires are built to withstand a little possible weight from the lid isn’t going to hurt them as long as you aren’t slamming it down.

I bought some gasket but I keep going back and forth on that. The leaks are so small now, I’m afraid of making them worse by messing up the gasket job, lol. If those leaks were that bad I’m guessing Weber would make gaskets part of the grill in the first place.

I forgot - another option is to use a file to make a groove in the lip of the base so that the wire is not crimped.

Comment

• Rolo Tomassi
      Rolo Tomassi commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve seen that in a related thread, but had forgotten about it. Makes sense — smaller hole/slot, since it only has to accommodate wires. Thank you.

I just drilled a 1/2 inch whole with no nipple. Till I get four wires through it for my Maverick and DigiQ they pretty well block any air into or out of the Weber,

Comment

• Rolo Tomassi
      Rolo Tomassi commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you mountainsmoker.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Your welcome I drilled my hole right above the food grate, as all the probes go above the grate. The grate is far enough down your not drilling in the lid.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 12, 2019, 09:14 PM.

I run them under my lid, I have seen people use lamp fittings (like the brass area that the pull cord pulls through, I have seen people cut a small notch (I think that is worst thing), and the rubber gaskets. I guess if I did one of them I would choose the rubber gasket. My wsm has that, I think I prefer that, but, I have not damaged a lead in the 5-6 months that I have been using temp probes (on my kettle), my wsm is significantly heavier, maybe it might be worse on that. p.s. I would never put the gasket in the lid, you take that on and off to much, the leads would be a pain in the ass, if I drilled a hole, I would drill it right under the grill grate, never in the lid.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 12, 2019, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Drill for a grommet in the bottom of the kettle, near the lid, right at grate level. That’s the money. Just be aware of it when lighting the fire. Hot side/cold side and all of that.

Comment

Or you can add a fan control. Below is my set up. There are several of us running this way. I just smoked a couple meatloafs Sunday on my 26" and had three probe wires running under the lid. Zero issues. Sure they created leaks, but it doesn't matter with the fan control. Ran rock solid at my set temp.

I post this in an attempt to help our newbies (to which I once was a short time ago) not feel so overwhelmed on the topic of selecting a cooker that is right for them. There are a lot of “looking for advice on a cooker” posts from newbies and seasoned vets looking to expand their arsenal. Obviously, the choices and opinions

Comment

• Rolo Tomassi
      Rolo Tomassi commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Rod. That’s a great guide to your setup.

Invest in one of these step bits, you can get one for around $9....

...drill a pilot hole then open it up to 1-1/4". Be careful to get it as close to that size as you can. Take a small rasp and dress up you hole and smooth it out. Then buy a Weber probe bladder.....

They can be a little tricky to get on, one trick is to use some vaseline, seems to slip on a little easier. I like this because you can fit 4-5 wires through the slit part, and just stick your temp probe into the small hole on the top, no need to have that wire within the kettle.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      If I ever replace my kettle, this is what I would use.

• Woodson
      Woodson commented
      Editing a comment
      This is exactly what I did. I would send a picture, but my Weber is in my comp trailer on a storage lot. Have an extra grommet or two on hand, also.

• Woodson
      Woodson commented
      Editing a comment
      And be careful to the shards of ceramic coating flying off.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here