Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody gasketed their Weber One Touch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody gasketed their Weber One Touch?

I have a performer, and like pretty much every one touch I've seen it leaks some from under the lid. I'm going to drill and grommet a hole for my temperature probe soon, so I was thinking about ordering some gasket material for the lid, too. It's not a large problem but I am curious to see if anybody has used actual gaskets to seal it up and their results. I've cleaned up and greased the lip of the dome and used a bead of RTV but it did not seem to make much of a difference as far as controlling temperature, and smoke still comes out. I'm going to drill and grommet a hole for my temperature probe soon, so I was thinking about ordering some gasket material for the lid, too.

I think you need to be careful, especially if you use this grill for Warp 10 cooking. Many gaskets won't be able to handle that kind of heat. You might be better off fitting some type of metal clasping system that forces the lid to sit tighter. Also, try using a rubber mallet to help get it more tightly sealed. And of course make sure the lips of both halves of the kettle are clean of chunks of soot.

Comment

How about making a seal from foil? Crumple it up into a rope and form it over the lip of the kettle bottom.

Comment

Take a look at gasket replacement kits for wood stoves.

Comment

I have not had to. I am lucky and mine seems to seal fine. The latch idea is a good one. Something you might try, and I did this on one of my Brinkman cabinet smokers, is use a Big Green Egg gasket. I think they come in 1/2 and 3/4 inch widths. They are peel and stick. You can trim them to width & and length you need. If anyone near you sells the BGE they should have the gasket on the shelf. If memory serves, they are not that expensive.
          Last edited by Gunderich_1; August 4, 2014, 09:54 AM. Reason: .

Comment

10-4. Yeah I use metal binder clips now, but when I run the thermometer cable under the lid it doesn't make much difference as far as sealing it up. I'll run my thermometer cables then experiment with the gaskets. I'll check the area for BGE kits. Thanks!
            Last edited by Flavorsavor; August 4, 2014, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I tried a fireplace/wood stove gasket on my ECB when I had it but it ended up falling off after a couple of cooks. My WSM and OTG lids leak a little but it's not really that much and I've never had any problems controlling temps as is.

Comment

Yeah I don't really have any trouble controlling temperature. I just have trouble leaving well enough alone...I think it would be cool to see an air tight lid.

Comment

Using binder clips has worked fine for me for lower temps. I drilled a hole for my thermometer probes so there's no issue with the cable under the lid.

Comment

One hole for both probes? Any kind of grommet or eyelet? I'm thinking about putting in eyelets and sealing with floppy magnets (have on hand) or ponying up a couple bucks and ordering some of these high-temp silicone grommets. They're good to 500 degrees, pop in and out, and come in packs of 25 should I accidentally burn one up and a high temp cook.
                    McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

I drilled two 1/4 inch holes, no gromets, don't lose enough smoke to think its an issue.

I do like your magnet idea. I got them stuck all over my smoker to hold stuff

Comment

I use 6-8 binder clips when I use the Smokenator. I feed the cables through the bottom vents for my Maverick ET 733. I did drill a one inch hole for the Party Q from BBQ Guru

Comment

I was looking for gaskets for my big trailer cooker and found these:

Rated to 842 degrees!

Comment

Nice. I've drilled a 1/4" hole I that will fit both probes through, one at a time. No grommets at the local hardware store so I'll order some if I think I need them. I did find some "super magnets" shaped like 3/8" washers that will go around the hole and I can use to hold in aluminum foil around the wires, sort of like a packing retainer. I'm not sure if the strong magnet will affect the reading on the probes though, Maverick guys are supposed to get back to me tomorrow. I'm about to go smoke some honey-cracked pepper pecans though, and give see how she seals up without the wires under the lid. I love playing around with my grill.

Comment

• Huskee
                              Huskee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              If you need grommets for your Maverick, check this out http://maverickhousewares.bigcartel....icone-grommets

• Flavorsavor
                              Flavorsavor commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yeah I've seen those. You can get a bag of them (24 I think?) for about the same price from mcmaster carr. I'm probably going to try them, I'm still playing around with the magnets.

Update. Magnets were too "super", hard to move...didn't pan out. Drilled a 1/4" hole that both probes will fit through (one at a time of course), and ordered a bag of silicone grommets that are good up to 500*. Grommets are 1/4" x 1/8", pack of 24 cost about six bucks from Mcmaster Carr. I split the grommet so I can wrap it around the probe wires with out having to thread them through. The grommet pops inside the hole in my grill and seals pretty tightly around both probe cords. The lid now seals plenty tight with the RTV and binder clips, enough so I see no smoke come out, as does the hole with the probe cords. I'm not sure any of it matters for actual temperature control, but I'm only out about nine bucks and enjoyed experimenting to get an "air tight" lid.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here