Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you folks think of this mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you folks think of this mod?

Click image for larger version

Name:	webber:SMgrill.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	70246

A friend sent this pic to me, apparently someone local is modifying 22" grills like this. Personally I think it's a nice novelty, and I could see myself using this before using a generic Santa Maria grill (like what you see at costco), even if it is smaller.

Attached Files

That is awesome!!!!

Comment

That bow might melt or something. hehehehe

Nice mod!

Comment

Are we putting the charcoal on the food grate? Trying to figure the real world practicality of this. But it is cool, for sure.

Comment

Hasty Bake did that 50 years ago. They knew then that to cook a steak properly you needed to have the ability to move your coals up closer to the your meat or father away from it. They just did it better. They don't move the grate, they move the coal with just a handle on the coal box. See Hasty Bake products on Meathead's equipment page.

Comment

That's pretty cool but it seems excessive when far less expensive and less cumbersome options are available. For example, the hover grill that the Smokenator folks offer. Use it in place of the standard charcoal grate and because it's diameter is a bit smaller it sits lower in the kettle and closer to the coals (I think Meathead suggests using the hovergrill in this fashion).

Of course Huskee raised a good point as well in terms of the feasibility of this mod.

Comment

I should point out that this is made near Santa Maria where the SM grills are everywhere... every park has them built in, 90% of the population has them in their back yard...

One thing it has over a standard SM grill is the lower vent, for air flow. ;-)

Comment

I bought a second charcoal grate for my Weber 22.5 and use three bricks between the 2 charcoal grates to raise the coal when I cook steaks or burgers. You actually have 3 possible heights, no bricks (original height), bricks on their narrow side, and bricks on the taller side. Of course you cannot adjust the height once you put it all together, but you cand get a great 3 zone fire by putting some of the coal on the bottom grate, then put in the second grate and put the rest of the coal on it. A bit more set up, but cheaper than a whole new grill (and if I buy one more I might have to sleep in or on it!).

Comment

Welcome Ken! We're glad you're here. That's a nice setup. Before you get yet another grill... Check this out. www.abcbarbecue.com

Comment

Kind of like the Weber Wishing Well only with some actual value to the rig.

Of course being able to open the lid like this keeps the heat in so it actually has an advantage over the modern lid holders. And it does keep the rain off the kettle. And it would surely be a major conversation piece.

Might actually need one...

Comment

How do you put the lid on? lol

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here