Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle Ordered!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichieB View Post
    Thanks Mosca Been looking around at the KBB you mentioned. I like the description of the Stubbs. Can't find it anywhere including Amazon. What's your source for it? Big Boxes and locals no luck. In my search i saw someone asked if it was discontinued. Thanks again.
    The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board says that Stubbs was made by Cowboy, and they dropped the Stubbs name. So, if you see Cowboy briquettes, they are the same ones, I suppose.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought that too and bought a few bags of the supposed cowboy equivalent. The bags were half dust by weight.

Cowboy applied the Stubbs idea with cowboy typical quality. Very disappointing. I’m still looking for a decent replacement locally

Thanks I'll start with the KBB you suggested.

BTW SnS ordered!!!!

Comment

Congrats on your new purchase .

Comment

RichieB I have found that Royal Oak briquettes also work pretty well, its cheaper, and I like the aroma more than the Kingsford Original. However, my testing in the Slow 'N Sear for long cooks with the 3 following charcoal showed these results:

Royal Oak Briquettes - 5 to 6 hours on a load in the SNS
        Kingsford Original - 6 to 8 hours on a load in the SNS
        Weber hardwood briquettes - 11 to 12+ hours on a load in the SNS

For regular grilling, or anything 6 hours or shorter, I always use the Royal Oak or Kingsford. I only buy them at Lowe's or Home Depot when they are on sale. However, even the regular price on Royal Oak is something like $5.90 for 15 pound bags, but it goes on sale for about $3.90 quite often at my Lowe's. I've got a huge stockpile of the Kingsford that I pick up only when they have the 2 packs on sale for half price Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day weekends at Lowe's and Home Depot.

I don't find that I need different vent settings on the Slow 'N Sear or kettle so much as I just get different burn times and different amounts of ash with the various brands I have tried so far.

One brand I have yet to try, but which I think you should check out if you find it, is B&B, available in both lump and briquettes. My local Academy sells it reasonably priced, I just have yet to pick some up, as I have sworn off bringing home more charcoal until I deplete the 20 bags I still have in my pool shed.

Comment

I have a Master Touch and it is my go to camping rig. I live the additional height most of all. Weber kettles can do anything.

Comment

Congrats on the new rig!

Comment

Well as I await my Kettle. Was supposed to be here today after 2. No grill no communication from ACE. Ugly conversation to take place at 10 when they open. SnS and charcoal ready. Honestly, my son and family down from VT. So no focus on cooking. My wife made sure I understood what my priorities were. But satisfaction 101 has to be a priority. At a minimum meet expectations. Goal exceed expectations. Only can be done with solid communications. In my experience always preached bad news is better than no news. I'd rather know than not.

That was my rant. Here's why I posted.

So, I joined a Weber FB group Weber Kettle Fans. Really been lurking as I do not have much to contribute to. I find it informative or my ignorance is bliss. Anyone here follow? Any opinions?

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not a member of that FB group. I've found one FB group that I like a lot and it's focused on cooking with the SnS (and all the products of Adrenaline BBQ). The rules are similar to here in The Pit (a very good thing). It's a closed group so you'll have to request membership. On FB I'm David Polston. https://www.facebook.com/groups/slownsear/

It's here. Had to put garage as the rain is falling again. So I'll need to wait till tomorrow best case. Quick question to season it, how much charcoal to be used?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kettle_New (1).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	671148Click image for larger version

Name:	Kettle_New (2).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	671149Click image for larger version

Name:	Kettle_New (3).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	671150

Comment

Congrats on yer new Kettle, Brother!

I'd set it up fer a Direct Cook, vents wide open...

Use a chimley, if ya have one; easier than lightin on th grate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Weber Charcoal Guide.JPG Views:	1 Size:	63.5 KB ID:	671163

Comment

• RichieB
                  RichieB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you. I did include a chimney in the purchase. I'll do as you suggested.

You would think it would stop. No way. I'm now looking for a Vortex, checked Amazon and a web site owensbbq.com. Any feedback on them?

Please provide suggestions on this. It's suggested to go with the medium for the 22.5. But I do not see the demensions. Any sourcing direction and size guideance will be appreciated.

Comment

• mnavarre
                  mnavarre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love mine. Owens BBQ is an authorized reseller of the OG Vortex, if you order from Amazon make sure it's sold by Island Outdoor. And the Medium is the right size for the 22" kettle.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here