Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How-to: Weber kettle and fan combo

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I wish this post had been around when I first tried
    to mod a kettle. Old "SwissCheese" super hot for pizza though with all those extra holes.

Comment

Has anyone needed to file down rough edges or add some type of rust proof coating near the drilled hole?

Comment

You done good!
        Have a PBR to celebrate.

Comment

I didn't do either, but if you want to file rough edges, go ahead. I think normal usage will put a protective layer of gunk, (note my expert use of scientific language ), on the exposed metal. At least I haven't noticed any rust and I did mine several years ago.

Comment

I did use a dremel to knock some burrs off and applied some high temp spray paint just as a precaution. It's easy enough to do. Probably not necessary as I live in a very dry climate, but like I said, it's easy enough.

Comment

Mine is by the sea in New England (so everything from hot and humid to ice and snow, salt air throughout) and no issues over the last 10 years. Never had to file or paint and no rust so far. The gunk build up seems to work well!

Comment

I'm drilling the hole today and the Fireboard and cable should arrive tomorrow. Will be using a 6.5 cfm Auber fan that I already had rather than the Pit Viper. I have all three of the SNS accessories, so my setup is identical to this one except the fan.

I want to do an overnight brisket cook tomorrow night. Other than learning the Fireboard operations (easy), should I be hesitant at all to try the setup for the very first time on an overnight cook (starting around midnight)? Or is it steady/consistent enough to just plug and play? Looking forward to it either way!

Comment

• pknj
                  pknj commented
                  Editing a comment
                  With the Fireboard, it is fairly easy - the alarms alone should wake you if there are any issues. That said, I get a little worried about your first time using the set up being an overnighter...

I honestly don’t remember if I had any issues my first time few times around. I don’t think I did? SnS with a fan is pretty rock solid...like a pellet grill, but you have to refill it more often.

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You might just want to try it out in your indoor oven to make sure it works properly...

Well I went ahead and decided to give it a go straight out of the box. No learning curve required. Still going, but I slept like a baby, for good reason. I'm in love!

The downward spike is me lifting the lid after getting up this morning.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by MillerTime; December 23, 2020, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
                  Alabama Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Impressive.

• pknj
                  pknj commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very nice! Glad it all worked out.

Thank you. I have been suffering severely from MCS. I also have a wife that has declared a two grill maximum rule for aesthetic reasons.

It has been a few years and some of the equipment has changed, but tonight I finished my install. I was hoping to,test tomorrow, but other plans indicate there will be a slight delay. I am not a ‘handy’ person, but would have been able to do the entire fit in less than one hour except for an under charged drill battery. This was the install of the adaptor for the Pit Viper and a gasket for probes so I no longer need to thread through the top vent. I already had the SnS, but added the DnG, mostly for airflow as I found maintaining consistent temps with SnS difficult.

Comment

I recently bought the Fireboard and Pit Viper for my Performer and I am pleased. I had my doubts on first dry run as the temps were like a roller coaster. Second run was a spatchcock chicken that wife could not get enough of and temp roller coaster moderated. Third run has it tuned in and averaging 224.1 for 4.75 hours in the automatic mode. I kept adjusting the exhaust vent on kettle and the damper on the Pit Viper. No wild swings, just low, steady and slow. It's a winning combination.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 7.58.47 PM.png
Views:	597
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1052330
                  Last edited by ken g; June 28, 2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

What is the reason the port needs to be located on the opposite side of the charcoal? I may try this modification one day and need a better understanding of how it works. Thanks.

Comment

I have always understood it was for air flow. If your charcoal is at 9:00, your fan should be at 3:00, and the top vent should also be at 3:00. This will cause the air to flow down and under the hot coals, and then up and over the food and out the top vent. At least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Comment

• frailinryan
                        frailinryan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Makes sense. Thanks!

Can this be cross-posted to the "kettle accessories" channel too? We're happy it's HERE, but we'd be equally happy to see it THERE *also*.

Comment

Very Nice, I set up Pid control on a Drum, I think air control is inherently more stable that controlling pellet flow

Comment

Probe port question: I bought the SNS probe port, and also the gray gasket I've seen here. if anyone had to do it again, would you recommend one or the other? I'm leaning toward installing the SNS probe port instead of the gray gasket.

I just did a wifi test with my fireboard and it's rock solid. Finally, I don't have to be within close bluetooth range babysitting a cook and instead I can hang out with my family and let my phone alert me when things come to temp.

Comment

• RichardCullip
                            RichardCullip commented
                            Editing a comment
                            On my Kettle I went with a small notch cut out of the rim on the top lid. My temp probe wires sit in the notch and I get a good air seal that way. This way I avoid drilling another hole just for a probe port

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here