Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade wheels on a Weber Performer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade wheels on a Weber Performer?

I'm curious is anyone has upgraded their wheels on a Weber Performer. I have the basic Performer (with the fold down shelf) and have a hard time rolling it over uneven surfaces at my house. I was thinking I could buy some actual tires but I'm not handy enough to think through the process without first seeing if someone else has done it. I searched the forum, but didn't look like anyone's talked about doing it before. I did find this post online that looks really cool, but I don't know that if it would maneuver well.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?699...ormer-Facelift

I would say go for it! It will not be that tough to do and it will make a huge difference in portability. Plus, we LOVE seeing mods! The guy who posted that on the other site seems to have it figured out.

Comment

That looks great. I might try that at some point too. I think you will need some wheel chocks to keep it from moving though.

Comment

From the pics, it looks like the "front" casters were replaced by fixed tires that don't swivel. Not necessarily a show stopper ... but it means that you'll probably need to pick up the front end and aim the cart where you want to go before rolling.
        Last edited by MBMorgan; September 30, 2018, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• JDenver
          JDenver commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, that's what I was thinking too and is really the only reason I'm not sure if I want to try it. I've been looking online to see if I can find someone who did a similar mod, but one where the castors were replaced by better wheels that swivel.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          JDenver - You can buy large diameter, heavy-duty casters but if you wanted to use something like that you'd likely need to shorten the front legs of the cart to keep it level.

I also found this photo online. The guy who made this mod said he used 5" urethane casters.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          That'll work ...

You might want to consider a solid rubber tire instead of the pneumatic. Different application - but I had the pneumatic on a garden wagon. Each time I wanted to use the wagon I first had to air up the tires. That got old.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point. Also, the cart is going to be just a little bit less stable with the pneumatic tires.

• JDenver
          JDenver commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a great point, Jerrybell. I have that issue with my garden wagon as well. Maybe I should pick up some extra to replace on my wagon too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	81422004.gif
Views:	2295
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	573134

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here