Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Smoke on the new Weber Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Smoke on the new Weber Kettle

I thought the first day of the year would be a good day for a first smoke on the new copper kettle. Up for eating this evening will be baby back ribs cooked using the Last Meal Ribs recipe. This is going to be an interesting cook as I don't have a smokenator. I did a little improvisation to set up low and slow smoking. I think it's time for some pics.

This is a Weber rack that goes on the charcoal grate and holds the charcoal off to the side.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6043.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	47135

Here I've installed the charcoal "basket". I placed my Grill Grates on the charcoal grate as well. I'm going to put the water pan on them, which should help conduct heat into the water and give me more humidity to help with smoke adhesion.

Name:	IMG_6044.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	47137

I used my last Grill Grate as a heat deflector to help set up two-zone cooking.

Name:	IMG_6045.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	47138

Added the water pan and charcoal

Name:	IMG_6048.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	47136

In this pic I had just added a chunk of apple wood. Nice and thin smoke!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6050.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	47134

Attached Files

OK onto the cook. I've got two racks of baby back ribs that I dry brined with salt overnight, then rubbed with modified Memphis Dust (replaced half the paprika with chili powder) this morning about 30 minutes before the cook.

I let the temp climb to 234F to compensate for the drop in temp when I open the pit to add the ribs. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6051.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	47144

Ribs are over the water/drip pan. You can see the apple chunk in the pile of charcoal (bottom of pic). Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6052.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	47145

Sorry this might be hard to see but the Maverick is reading 225F. This is ten minutes after closing the lid. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6057.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	47143

Comment

Lookin' good!

Comment

Perfect so far!

Comment

Nice cook going on

Comment

Nicely done. How many coals to you use to get to 225 with that setup?

Another option - that I've see but not tried, since I have a smokenator too - is pushing the Vortex off to one side

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
            Nicely done. How many coals to you use to get to 225 with that setup? Another option - that I've see but not tried, since I have a smokenator too - is pushing the Vortex off to one side
            Sorry Burn I didn't count. I'm using lump charcoal anyway.

Comment

Here is a pic of the ribs 1:40 into the cook. I rotated them so each rack would get time close to the charcoal for more even cooking.

Name:	IMG_6058.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	47173

Comment

2:15 into the cook the temps are holding nicely.

Name:	IMG_6060.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	47191

Comment

A work of art, PB! Just stunning that you got it perfectly on the first shot!

Comment

So you haven't needed to add any coal at this point? I haven't done any low and slow with my kettle so I have little experience. I really like your deflector shield setup with the grill grates .. nice improve!

Comment

Nice setup. I've been using 2 fire bricks side by side, but it splits it closer to half with less indirect area to put a big pan underneath.

Comment

• David Parrish
                        David Parrish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks! Yeah Grill Grates are useful for all kinds of applications.

Originally posted by cdd315 View Post
                      So you haven't needed to add any coal at this point? I haven't done any low and slow with my kettle so I have little experience. I really like your deflector shield setup with the grill grates .. nice improve!

I moved the coals around back when I flipped the ribs around, then added coal just now at the three hour point.

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
                        A work of art, PB! Just stunning that you got it perfectly on the first shot!

Thanks! So far so good. Keep your fingers crossed.

Comment

Three hours in I added charcoal, hit the charcoal with a torch to warm it up, and rotated the racks again. Pit temp spiked up to 243 ten minutes after closing the lid but is slowly heading back down. I'm tweaking vents as needed of course.

Name:	IMG_6061.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	47240

Comment

• The Burn
                            The Burn commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Semi-off topic: when you torch unlit coals, do you do it just long enough to get an edge started or do you take them farther along?

• David Parrish
                            David Parrish commented
                            Editing a comment
                            TB that's not off topic at all. I hate to say it, but the answer is I torch them just enough to hit the temp I'm looking for. In this case since it was just 225F I torched them just enough to get the edges burning... about 30 seconds.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here