Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Original Kettle Premium 2015 (formerly One Touch Gold) Vents & Other Measurements

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Original Kettle Premium 2015 (formerly One Touch Gold) Vents & Other Measurements

For any getting their hands on the 2015 model of 22" Weber Kettle, I thought I would show some detailed pics of the vent handle/vent settings. Different sized kettles may vary on these settings.

Second Hole
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6230.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	46442 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6229.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	46443
    Second Hole Vent position ^ (barely a crack)

2 1/2 Hole (between 2nd & 3rd holes)

Name:	IMAG6231.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	46444 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6232.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	46445

2 1/2 Vent position ^

3rd Hole:

Name:	IMAG6233.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	46447 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6234.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	46448

3rd Hole vent position ^ (3/4 open)

4th Hole:

Name:	IMAG6235.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	46449 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6236.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	46450

4th Hole Vent position ^ (nearly wide open)

4 1/2 Holes (top of arrow):

Name:	IMAG6237.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	46451 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6238.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	46452

4 1/2 Holes Vent position ^ (wide open)

And lastly....

Far right, cleanout position:

Name:	IMAG6239.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	46453 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6240.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	46454

Far right Vent Position ^ (still wide open)

NOTE: This is for the 2015 redesign, may not necessarily reflect prior One Touch Gold models.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Huskee; December 30, 2014, 09:20 PM.

Nice review Huskee. It looks to me like vent settings 2 to 2.5 are where all the real action should be happening.

Comment

Interesting - I'll have to see how that matches up to my markings on my Performer or OTG.

Oh, and starting to notice the trend here. Nice gifts
      Last edited by The Burn; December 30, 2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Please post what you find if you're able!

Not sure how you're gonna fit a log in there though.

Comment

As our friend Strat50 woud say: "Easy peasy lemon squeezy" - the charcoal grate on a 22.5" is 19.5", plenty of room for a few "sticks"
        Last edited by The Burn; December 31, 2014, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Is the grate smaller than the older gold version?

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd be happy to snap a couple pics of the grill and grate sizes....but tape measures when you have little kids tend to disappear don't they....still looking...

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Measured, see a couple posts down...

Based on the descriptions on Weber's site of the total cooking area (363 in) and the replacement parts/accessories, I'm pretty sure they just dropped the "1/2" to sound cleaner. They did it on the 18 also, and the WSMs. Heck, some number cruncher probably told them they could save X millions of dollars a year in ink costs by not have to print the .5, .75 or 1/2 on advertising, packaging and manuals.

Comment

Smart use of the holes, Huskee. I would have saved disfiguring my weber with a sharpie if I'd thought of that!

Comment

• bhleigh
              bhleigh commented
              Editing a comment
              And I'm 2 hours late to reading this post before I did just that!

Nice kettle ya got there stick man!

Comment

For any getting their hands on the 2015 model of 22" Weber Kettle, I thought I would show some detailed pics of the vent handle/vent settings. Different sized kettles may vary on these settings.

Also some other measurements just because...

Top & Bottom vent settings are in first post at top of this thread ^^

Grates:
              Still 22.5" outer diameter, 22" inner diameter. The main cooking grate is 21.5", with a little back & forth play.

Name:	IMAG6248.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	46686

Name:	IMAG6249.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	46687
              Last edited by Huskee; April 17, 2015, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Nice new rig there Husk.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! Maiden voyage is some pecan smoked turkey burgers tonight!

Very cool. I made chicken on mine last night, brats for lunch today, and soon burgers for dinner. Tomorrow is ribs.

Comment

Thermometer measurements:

Accuracy test: Boiling water 210-212*F

Name:	IMAG6226-1-1.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	46777

I'd consider this as accurate as it needs to be. Just over the 210 mark, not quite halfway to the 220 mark.

Distance from dome thermometer to cooking grate:

Lid sitting on the edge of the counter, tape measure from counter surface to tip of thermometer= 4.5"

Name:	IMAG6250.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	46778

Cooking grate recess (distance from cooking grate to lid edge) = 2"

Name:	IMAG6252.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	46779

Total distance from grate to tip of lid thermometer sensor= 6.5".

Since most food is 1" or 2" (steak) or 4-6" (roast, whole chicken), this isn't too terribly bad of a distance IMO. At least this shows us 2 things- the thermometer is quite accurate for being bi-metal, and it's not terribly out of place for real world cooking.

However, here's the downside of Weber's thermometer placement on the newer models: When doing indirect, we would typically place the vents over top of the food, opposite the coals, to cause the heat/smoke to travel over the food. To do this, now the thermometer will be on the opposite side, or right over the coals, giving us a higher reading than where the food is. Always use your digital cooker thermometer!

Deduction- The older placement being 90* from the vent is better than this new 180* opposite placement IMO.

Comment

• W.A.
                    W.A. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you. Enjoy the grill. I'm using mine right now. Hard to keep hot with 15 degree temps.

This has to be a sign of a true pit master (or bbq geek) lol. Most people would just fire it up and cook on it and here I am soaking in all the info and thinking to myself .. I need to find a tape measure and find out if my 2014 OTG measures out the same as yours hahahaha!!!!

Nice kettle, have fun

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm not sure which I prefer, pitmaster or geek. It's all the same, just depends who you ask I guess. Those eating your food, you're a pitmaster. Those who couldn't care less, you're a geek!

Originally posted by cdd315 View Post
                  This has to be a sign of a true pit master (or bbq geek) lol. Most people would just fire it up and cook on it and here I am soaking in all the info and thinking to myself .. I need to find a tape measure and find out if my 2014 OTG measures out the same as yours hahahaha!!!!
                  Keep us posted!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here