Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Original Kettle Premium 2015 (formerly One Touch Gold) Vents & Other Measurements

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jgg85234
    replied
    Saw the comment about the green grass.

I guess I shouldn't get you a photo of the winter (rye) lawn we just got growing last week. First cut is Thursday.

I'll save the pictures for January

We're having our first winter "storm" for the year. It's only 72 degrees here (5:00 PM). Overnight low projected for 57, with a high tomorrow of only 70. Brrrr.

Best regards,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Smokin' Ham Congrats on the GREAT new gear!

You'll soon learn that with your SnS, the only movement your bottom vents will make (on the newer models) is from the second hole to the third. Most of the control will actually be @ the 2.25 hole to 2.5 hole marks to be honest. 3 holes when you're heating it up initially.

I don't drill holes in mine for probes so I can't comment on the best way to do it....but if I did I'd just use a regular metal bit. I run my wires under the lid. Others will go through the lid vent, but like you say to me it seems cumbersome when I want to remove the lid (but in others' defense I've never tried it, under the lid works just fine for me). I like to have a non-permanent way to run my probe wires.

As far as dry run, I would let your grill heat up good & hot for 30 to maybe 60 minutes just to burn off oils and manufacturing residue before putting food in it....but w/ an SnS & following the lighting directions carefully you certainly don't need lengthy dry runs. It's quite controllable with minimal effort if the directions are followed.

Leave a comment:

• Smokin' Ham
    replied
    Great timing. I just bought a 22" Weber Original Kettle Premium on Sunday night. There's a Slow 'n Sear on the way. I'm thinking of doing some calibration runs this weekend. It's probably overreach to think I can grill a turkey for Thanksgiving, but maybe for Christmas I'll be up to speed.

The markings for vent opening are interesting. I was thinking of putting a strip of metal under the vent handle with graduations and mounting a shorter strip on the handle itself, so that I could have vernier scale. That's probably too geeky....

I read about drilling holes in the kettle close to food grate level and coal grate level for the thermometer probes, and it looks like a good idea after my fooling around with thermometer wires going through the top vent. That's way too cumbersome. I have a few concerns about drilling the holes, though:

1- The kettle is coated with enamel. That sounds like glass to me. Do you grind the glass off the spot where you'll be drilling with something like a Dremel tool, or just drill? Will putting a dimple on the steel with a center punch cause the enamel to crack?

2- I am thinking that you don't want for the thermometer wires to go directly over the coals, so the holes should be on the side of the kettle opposite the side where the slow 'n sear will be. Does it matter which side that is? I was thinking about putting a hole under one of the handles, between the places where the handle is spot welded to the kettle, and the other hole below that one, so that I can hang the thermometer transmitter from the handle. This means that the slow 'n sear will be against the other handle side. If I had to put coals on two sides, they would have to be at 90 degrees from the hole. Or does it not matter if the wires cross over the coals?

3- Do the holes let enough air in to matter? I was thinking I could plug the hole not in use with crumpled aluminum foil if they did.

I know that the advice is to do a dry run without food, but it seems a shame to burn charcoal and not cook anything. I am tempted to experiment with hitting the temperatures and playing with the vents and such, but by the time I get a handle on all that the manufacturing oils and so on should be burned off and I will probably just put some brats on the grill or may be a splatchcocked chicken.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Wow sorry for the delay....yes, squeeze the handle and it tips down and slides out.

• cdd315
    replied
    How do you release the ash pan? Do you have to squeeze the handle to let it down?

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Always got some green. Thankfully it is lethargic for a few months.

• W.A.
    commented on 's reply
    Weber's markings are much better now.

• W.A.
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. Enjoy the grill. I'm using mine right now. Hard to keep hot with 15 degree temps.

• Huskee
    replied
    Do I see green grass back there? I remember green...

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not sure which I prefer, pitmaster or geek. It's all the same, just depends who you ask I guess. Those eating your food, you're a pitmaster. Those who couldn't care less, you're a geek!

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I eye balled mine and marked. Click image for larger version

Name:	1420066209041-383426244.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	46838

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by cdd315 View Post
    This has to be a sign of a true pit master (or bbq geek) lol. Most people would just fire it up and cook on it and here I am soaking in all the info and thinking to myself .. I need to find a tape measure and find out if my 2014 OTG measures out the same as yours hahahaha!!!!
    Keep us posted!

Leave a comment:

• cdd315
    replied
    This has to be a sign of a true pit master (or bbq geek) lol. Most people would just fire it up and cook on it and here I am soaking in all the info and thinking to myself .. I need to find a tape measure and find out if my 2014 OTG measures out the same as yours hahahaha!!!!

Nice kettle, have fun

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Thermometer measurements:

Accuracy test: Boiling water 210-212*F

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6226-1-1.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	46777

I'd consider this as accurate as it needs to be. Just over the 210 mark, not quite halfway to the 220 mark.

Distance from dome thermometer to cooking grate:

Lid sitting on the edge of the counter, tape measure from counter surface to tip of thermometer= 4.5"

Name:	IMAG6250.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	46778

Cooking grate recess (distance from cooking grate to lid edge) = 2"

Name:	IMAG6252.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	46779

Total distance from grate to tip of lid thermometer sensor= 6.5".

Since most food is 1" or 2" (steak) or 4-6" (roast, whole chicken), this isn't too terribly bad of a distance IMO. At least this shows us 2 things- the thermometer is quite accurate for being bi-metal, and it's not terribly out of place for real world cooking.

However, here's the downside of Weber's thermometer placement on the newer models: When doing indirect, we would typically place the vents over top of the food, opposite the coals, to cause the heat/smoke to travel over the food. To do this, now the thermometer will be on the opposite side, or right over the coals, giving us a higher reading than where the food is. Always use your digital cooker thermometer!

Deduction- The older placement being 90* from the vent is better than this new 180* opposite placement IMO.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Very cool. I made chicken on mine last night, brats for lunch today, and soon burgers for dinner. Tomorrow is ribs.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here