Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Copper Kettle time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a short video showing the kettle getting hot REALLY fast using a half full vortex.

Comment

Nice video, those thermometers are fast acting.

To add to Pit Boss' above video, here's a pic I took of the Weber lid thermometer in boiling water. I'd say they're quite accurate, at least at boiling point. (But remember, food isn't up there at the lid in most cases)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6226-1-1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	46700

Comment

Time to make some wings on that new combo kettle/vortex! 60 coals gives you a little more than half full, with a chunk of wood on the cooking grate above, and it took 35 minutes to get nice juicy looking wings and then slid them over the Vortex for a minute to add a little extra crispness.

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
          Time to make some wings on that new combo kettle/vortex! 60 coals gives you a little more than half full, with a chunk of wood on the cooking grate above, and it took 35 minutes to get nice juicy looking wings and then slid them over the Vortex for a minute to add a little extra crispness.

I actually went to the store last night to grab wings, but they only had drumettes and my wife likes the wing portion, so we ended up getting thighs. They turned out pretty good.

This photo was taken shortly before I put on the chicken:

Name:	IMG_6001.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	46723

I used Memphis Dust for the kids and Southern Flavor (commercial rub) for the grown ups:

Name:	IMG_6003.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	46724

Final result! Overall tasted awesome, but we all wish the skin was a little crispier. Something to tweak for next cook=)

Name:	IMG_6010.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	46722

Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Sear them bad boys!!!!

David P. You're killing me with those pictures...hunger is out of control now! I'm out of town on vacation and just dying to get back home, order my new Weber Kettle (I may go with the 26"), and do a cook. Congrats on the new grill and the mouth-watering food.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought the 26 back in November and I couldn't be happier. In a previous life I had owned a 22 and the extra space on the 26 is well worth the investment. For Thanksgiving I was able to smoke a 14 lb turkey and a 6 lb sirloin roast with room to spare.

Originally posted by fuzzydaddy View Post
          David P. You're killing me with those pictures...hunger is out of control now! I'm out of town on vacation and just dying to get back home, order my new Weber Kettle (I may go with the 26"), and do a cook. Congrats on the new grill and the mouth-watering food.
          Thank you Sir. That's much appreciated! My advice is to grab the Vortex (or a Smokenator) to go with that kettle.

Comment

Nice that you three each mysteriously received the same kind of kettle at the same time I want to insert some smart Stooges reference but I can't think of anything right now!

Have fun!!

Edit: Does that mean we're getting a new Kettle sub forum? LOL, just kiddin!

Comment

Actually, that's not a bad idea. We could use a kettle forum!

Comment

The chicken looks great. What I've found with wings is that I have to leave them on a minute or two more to get a good crisp. Or if they don't seem crispy enough, slide them over the Vortex briefly. I think next time I may try Doc Blonder's baking soda suggestion.

Comment

David,
                  Very nice rig. I have yet to try my Vortex. I have used my Smokenator and love it. The Smoke EZ is awesome. So let me know what you think of the Vortex. All the write ups say it's the bomb. What say you? Hmmm....maybe a Weber for each attachment?.....food for thought.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think he hates his Vortex, he's always telling me "don't bother with it, just mail yours to me, mail yours to me..." I kid. No, huge hit from all I've been in contact with regarding it.

And yes, you have the right idea. You need 4 kettles. One with a Smokenator, one w/ a Vortex, one with GrillGrates, and one stock for reference.

The Vortex is one of my new favorite accessories. If you're thinking about getting one, I suggest go ahead and pull that trigger!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here