Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling a hole for thermometer probes in Weber 22"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling a hole for thermometer probes in Weber 22"?

Hi All,
    Please redirect me to the correct place if the following has already been discussed. My cursory search to find the topic rendered useless. That said, I'm thinking about drilling a hole somewhere into my Weber 22" (Master Touch I think it's branded as?) for thermometer probe wires.
    My questions:
    1. what size drill hole for the probes?
    2. where to drill the hole on the kettle (obviously not the lid portion, but where on the bottom portion)?
    3. Lastly, how to cover it up when/if ever I opt NOT to use thermometer probes?

Thanks so much!
    -TheGrizMan

I can tell you what I did. Others have done it differently.

I used a step bit to drill a hole large enough for a 1/2" close nipple to fit through. I also bought two nuts large enough to fit the nipple and a cap that also fit the nipple. All were brass. It turned out that I was able to drill the hole to fit the threads of the nipple, so I didn't need the nuts. I can fit all my probes through that one hole. I do have some "L" shaped probes that will not fit through the nipple, but the plug on the other end is straight, so they do fit. I also have a straight probe that has an "L" shaped plug, so it will fit too.

I suggest checking to make sure you can fit the probes through the nipple before drilling a hole. I could saw some of the nipple off to allow the "L" shaped probes to fit through the nipple, but it's not worth it to me since the other end fits.

Others have drilled several small holes - one for each probe. Some have used close nipples while others have used heat proof grommets, and some have not used anything. Some don't bother covering the holes when not used either.

As far as placement goes, I suggest between the grate and the rim of the kettle making sure nothing interferes with the top closing all the way. Drilling the holes opposite your SnS, or where you place the coals for low and slow would be a good idea too. Also, if you use a nipple and place it above the grate, you don't want too much nipple inside the kettle because it might interfere with placing the grate in the kettle.

If any of this is not clear, let me know.
    Last edited by RonB; April 17, 2017, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• TheGrizMan
      TheGrizMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Very informative, thank you!

• Stevo
      Stevo commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you post a pic? Thanks!

RonB has is covered! The hole in this photo is about 3/8" and I can fit 4 of my probes through it (2 Thermoworks meat, 1 Thermoworks air, and 1 PartyQ air).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2001.jpg
Views:	6857
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	306541

Comment

• TheGrizMan
      TheGrizMan commented
      Editing a comment
      No concern for rust?

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      TheGrizMan so far no rust. After a lot of cooks it has a nice amount of buildup. If it were to rust I'd probably not do anything other than knock off any flakes when I clean the kettle.

RonB is all over the technique, so I won't try to elaborate.

I ordered a small bag of silicone inserts, very similar in size to the one in fuzzydaddy's post above. I used one, but have given all of 'em away except two. If you want one, just PM your snail-mail address and I'll drop one in the mailbox to you.
    Last edited by Lowjiber; April 18, 2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Stevo - here is a link to some of my mods. I have removed the nuts since those photos were taken, and I found a threaded cap to replace the silicon plug.

Comment

• Stevo
        Stevo commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

On my 22" Weber and WSM, I drilled a hole just large enough for a probe to fit, then realized that the second probe couldn't go in because of the wire from the first probe. I used a small rat tail file and notched the hole so the first wire would drop out of the circumference of the main hole. I touched up the edges with hi temp paint. Initially I sealed the hole with a small wad of foil during cooks but have ceased to do that. I use temp probes on every cook now and this mod works for me, though I cringed at the thought of drilling a hole in my brand new Performer.

Comment

Can't one just make a small cut to the lip of the grill just to run the probes through and still have the lid close normally?

Comment

Ernest - yes you can, but that's no fun. All you need is a hacksaw - where's the fun it that. If you drill hole(s), you need a drill and at least one bit - maybe more. Then you can add a close nipple, some nuts, and, and .... The fun never stops.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            I read that post a few times and it just sounds, umm, hahahahahaha! I get it now.

Here is what I did.

Comment

I drilled a 1 and 1/4" hole with a step bit and put in a replacement rubber grommet for a WSM . It keeps it sealed up tight around the probes, and allows for putting larger probes through (i.e. fireboard probes).
            Attached Files

Comment

• grampa
              grampa commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually I've been thinking for some time that Weber should have this on all their charcoal grills. It's so handy on the WSM, and needed on every grill!

• grampa
              grampa commented
              Editing a comment
              Okay, done on both 22" and 26". Works a charm! Thanks for the tip, sorensen_j!

• sorensen_j
              sorensen_j commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad it worked out grampa!

I just drilled two parallel 5/16" holes at grill height. Took about 30 seconds, drilled from outside in. It's that simple, didn't bother or need grommet, the holes have no impact whatsoever on cooking.

Comment

Here's the hole I made after everyone's recommendations, 3/8 right now, along with some pics from the day of smoking... 2 whole chickens and 1 pork butt. Brought some of the chicken into the ED where my wife works at the local hospital and the staff devoured it. Many said if I ever choose to leave nursing, I could make it as a BBQ chef. Kind words, gonna keep it as a hobby right now, though! Click image for larger version

Name:	20170610_153511.jpg
Views:	6678
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	332702Click image for larger version

Name:	20170610_162913.jpg
Views:	6817
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	332703Click image for larger version

Name:	20170610_151425.jpg
Views:	6688
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	332701

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Man, that chicken looks good!

Henrik my wife will eat without any BBQ sauce she likes it that much. I know the running thought here is no stuffing, but, after an overnight brine in 1 gallon H2O, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1 cup kosher salt, I follow a recipe with lemon, garlic, onion, apple, and olive oil stuffing, complements the smokey flavor quite nicely!

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Oooh, that sounds good! I usually don't stuff, but that's just because I'm a lazy bum :-)
                The lemon, apple and garlic sounds great with chicken.

This is the solution I came up with. The silicone plug is made by MOCAP and rated to 600 F. I have provided links to both the plug and port below. The tapered plug allows you to use as many probes as needed and still get a tight seal. The plug will also not do any damage to the probes.

Plug: https://store.mocap.com/mocap_en/msp...668.1495405160

Port: uxcell Stainless Steel 6.0-12.0mm M20 Cable Gland Connector with Locknut https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00843ULPY..._cJzqzbK8STVEJ

Happy smoking 👍
              Attached Files
              Last edited by rgriffeath; June 14, 2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• TheGrizMan
                TheGrizMan commented
                Editing a comment
                What's the diameter of the hole you ended up doing?

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                I love this idea! I just wish you didn't have to buy a minimum of 20 of those plugs.

• rotagilla
                rotagilla commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. Glad I found this post. I did the same exact thing and like it.

1/2 inch inside the port. The drilled hole in the grill is 3/4 inch.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here