Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling a hole for thermometer probes in Weber 22"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheGrizMan
    commented on 's reply
    Very informative, thank you!

• RonB
    replied
    I can tell you what I did. Others have done it differently.

I used a step bit to drill a hole large enough for a 1/2" close nipple to fit through. I also bought two nuts large enough to fit the nipple and a cap that also fit the nipple. All were brass. It turned out that I was able to drill the hole to fit the threads of the nipple, so I didn't need the nuts. I can fit all my probes through that one hole. I do have some "L" shaped probes that will not fit through the nipple, but the plug on the other end is straight, so they do fit. I also have a straight probe that has an "L" shaped plug, so it will fit too.

I suggest checking to make sure you can fit the probes through the nipple before drilling a hole. I could saw some of the nipple off to allow the "L" shaped probes to fit through the nipple, but it's not worth it to me since the other end fits.

Others have drilled several small holes - one for each probe. Some have used close nipples while others have used heat proof grommets, and some have not used anything. Some don't bother covering the holes when not used either.

As far as placement goes, I suggest between the grate and the rim of the kettle making sure nothing interferes with the top closing all the way. Drilling the holes opposite your SnS, or where you place the coals for low and slow would be a good idea too. Also, if you use a nipple and place it above the grate, you don't want too much nipple inside the kettle because it might interfere with placing the grate in the kettle.

If any of this is not clear, let me know.
    Last edited by RonB; April 17, 2017, 09:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheGrizMan
    started a topic Drilling a hole for thermometer probes in Weber 22"?

Drilling a hole for thermometer probes in Weber 22"?

Hi All,
    Please redirect me to the correct place if the following has already been discussed. My cursory search to find the topic rendered useless. That said, I'm thinking about drilling a hole somewhere into my Weber 22" (Master Touch I think it's branded as?) for thermometer probe wires.
    My questions:
    1. what size drill hole for the probes?
    2. where to drill the hole on the kettle (obviously not the lid portion, but where on the bottom portion)?
    3. Lastly, how to cover it up when/if ever I opt NOT to use thermometer probes?

Thanks so much!
    -TheGrizMan

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here