Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling a hole for thermometer probes in Weber 22"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuzzydaddy
    commented on 's reply
    TheGrizMan so far no rust. After a lot of cooks it has a nice amount of buildup. If it were to rust I'd probably not do anything other than knock off any flakes when I clean the kettle.

• TheGrizMan
    commented on 's reply
    No concern for rust?

• kmhfive
    commented on 's reply
    That's an interesting solution. Got me thinking.

• sblair1255
    replied
    I just drilled two parallel 5/16" holes at grill height. Took about 30 seconds, drilled from outside in. It's that simple, didn't bother or need grommet, the holes have no impact whatsoever on cooking.

Leave a comment:

• sorensen_j
    replied
    I drilled a 1 and 1/4" hole with a step bit and put in a replacement rubber grommet for a WSM . It keeps it sealed up tight around the probes, and allows for putting larger probes through (i.e. fireboard probes).
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    I read that post a few times and it just sounds, umm, hahahahahaha! I get it now.

• phoccer
    replied
    Here is what I did.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Ernest - yes you can, but that's no fun. All you need is a hacksaw - where's the fun it that. If you drill hole(s), you need a drill and at least one bit - maybe more. Then you can add a close nipple, some nuts, and, and .... The fun never stops.

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    Can't one just make a small cut to the lip of the grill just to run the probes through and still have the lid close normally?

Leave a comment:

• Corvus
    replied
    On my 22" Weber and WSM, I drilled a hole just large enough for a probe to fit, then realized that the second probe couldn't go in because of the wire from the first probe. I used a small rat tail file and notched the hole so the first wire would drop out of the circumference of the main hole. I touched up the edges with hi temp paint. Initially I sealed the hole with a small wad of foil during cooks but have ceased to do that. I use temp probes on every cook now and this mod works for me, though I cringed at the thought of drilling a hole in my brand new Performer.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

• RonB
    replied
    Stevo - here is a link to some of my mods. I have removed the nuts since those photos were taken, and I found a threaded cap to replace the silicon plug.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    commented on 's reply
    Can you post a pic? Thanks!

• Lowjiber
    replied
    RonB is all over the technique, so I won't try to elaborate.

I ordered a small bag of silicone inserts, very similar in size to the one in fuzzydaddy's post above. I used one, but have given all of 'em away except two. If you want one, just PM your snail-mail address and I'll drop one in the mailbox to you.
    Last edited by Lowjiber; April 18, 2017, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    replied
    RonB has is covered! The hole in this photo is about 3/8" and I can fit 4 of my probes through it (2 Thermoworks meat, 1 Thermoworks air, and 1 PartyQ air).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2001.jpg
Views:	6857
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	306541

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here