Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to use a smaller grill - weber 18.5" one touch charcoal grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to use a smaller grill - weber 18.5" one touch charcoal grill

I recently have been trying the reverse sear method for steaks and realize my temperatures have been too high all around. Anyone have an 18.5" grill? If so, how many coals do you use when using a 2-zone setup to maintain 225 degrees?

Have you used this grill to smoke successfully?

You could probably get by with 14-18 coals, light half of them pile on top of the unlit. I use a 14.5", which is obviously not the same, smaller, but I get by with 12-14 coals and it keeps me at or around 250-280 when I do burgers reverse sear.

Comment

ok i'll give it a shot. i was doing 3/4th chimney full and that was getting it way way too high (around 350-375 on the indirect side).

Comment

Yeah I think that may be about 3x what you'll really need. You don't necessarily have to hit 225 for reverse searing a steak, if you can hit the 225-250 range, you'll be ok there. What are you using to monitor your grill temp and your meat temp?

By the way reemas, welcome to The Pit!

Make your next stop over at the Welcome & Announcements channel, and check out the tips posts there too. These will help you learn your way around The Pit, set up your signature, as well as learn the best way to post some nice big bragging pictures for all of us to enjoy. Then head over to the Introduce Yourself channel and tell us a little about yourself. What grill(s) you use, what thermometer(s) you use, what you like to cook, what you aspire to be able to cook in the future, etc.... We look forward to getting to know you and any help we can offer.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Huskee; September 16, 2014, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips and info Aaron. I've improved my technique quite a bit in the last week, more than I have in the last year simply by getting a thermometer. I use a ThermoPop to check the steak temperature and I just got a Maverick ET-733 for grill temps. Unfortunately I think my Maverick ET-733 is off by 8-10 degrees when testing boiling and ice bath temps (compared to the ThermaPen).

Any suggestions for a different grill temp thermometer? I'd need it more for the grill than the food.
          Last edited by reemas; September 16, 2014, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Reemas, we're HUGE fans of the Mavericks here, (simply because of their proven track record no financial ties) and from what many have said their customer service is excellent. My suggestion is get ahold of them (www.maverickhousewares.com or email: [email protected]) and explain your unit seems to be off when testing boiling and ice water baths, I'm quite certain they will take care of you, or at least offer suggestions. If you choose to go another route there is a large thermometer database at the main AmazingRibs site. You can access it above by clicking the Equipment Reviews tab and going from there.

To me it sounds like you are very well armed in the thermometer dept....hopefully you can get your Mav squared away. I own 3 of them. One is in the box still and the other 2 are very accurate.

Comment

I have three Webers (got the 2nd and 3rd on craigslist for $40 total) and I go low and slow on my main Weber and do the reverse sear on my 18.5" Weber with bricks under the coal grate to within two inches of the food grate to get a super hot sear. As has been referenced elsewhere, flip often

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here