Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimizing grey/white smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimizing grey/white smoke

I smoke on my Weber kettle with a slow n sear. When it stabilizes around 225 I throw the meat on and spread out wood chips along the charcoal.
    However this inevitably causes grey smoke the first 5 minutes afterwards.

Does anyone have any tips on how to minimize the amount of grey smoke or is it simply unavoidable until the wood chips come up to temp. Have since ordered wood chunks to see if that makes a difference but have not yet had a chance to try them.

Chunks will be a massive improvement over chips in terms of adding flavor. Why don’t you bury the chunks with the charcoal when you light it versus afterwards? That will reduce the white smoke as the chunks will smolder during the cook.

Comment

Chunks buried in the charcoal will make a positive difference. Also, don't get too hung up on the "thin blue smoke" thing. That is very hard to do with anything other than a true stick burner. Even then, it takes a lot of practice to learn to manage your fire correctly.

Comment

I agree with both comments, I never use chips, just chunks and once going the kettle with a SnS works great. Yes, some grey smoke but that is normal as well as some leaks around the bowl. These leaks have not hurt my cooks over the past 4+ years. I want to get a gasket, but I never have gotten around to ordering one.

Comment

• Finster
          Finster commented
          Editing a comment
          I use a few binder clips on my kettle to minimize leaks, as I too have just never gotten around to installing a gasket..

When I used chips, I would wrap them in foil and punch a few holes in the foil to let smoke out. That worked, but I prefer chunks.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Got in before I finished typing.

If you have a wood chips to use up the best way to get maximum effect from them is to make a pocket or purse from heavy duty foil and fill that with the chips. Seal the purse then puncture a couple holes in the foil. Place on the grid above the coals. This works better than wood chips directly on the coals that burn out quickly, without any real impact.
        Wood chunks are the answer.

Comment

Number 4 in the SnS instructions says to add the wood chunks after the starter group is lit and the bin is filled with charcoal, which is roughly half an hour BEFORE the charcoal is up to temp. Do it this way when your chunks arrive and you’ll avoid future problems.
          Last edited by Sid P; June 12, 2022, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• Finster
            Finster commented
            Editing a comment
            Instructions?
            We dont need no stinking instructions 🤣

• Sid P
            Sid P commented
            Editing a comment
            Finster. Exactly. I wish I could say I always practice what I’m preaching here…

What Sid P says... You can also light a small batch of charcoal in eht SNS corner, when those are ashed over add the rest spread out in the SNS and then put wood on top (some on the lit coals)... but the key is to wait for the smoke to stabilize for 15-30 minutes.

Comment

Only thing I can add to the chunks recommendation is that I’ve learned to give the fire time to clean itself up before cooking. Takes a little more patience than I sometimes have🤣.

Comment

Shoot for 190, put your meat on, when it over shoots with the lid off, it hits the marker your shooting for earlier. The extra rise in temp will be what you are really shooting for

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here