Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Budget Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draznnl View Post
    Since you plan to only use it for smoking, have you looked into a WSM? You can probably pick up a used one cheaply. Mine served me well until I got a pellet cooker and even when the pellet cooker broke.
    The WSM is very similar to my ProQ so there’s no sense in getting one for me but I’ve heard lots of good things!

Comment

Originally posted by Panhead John View Post
      You will NOT be blowing money by adding a kettle to your cooker collection. As mentioned, it’s the most versatile cooker out there, when paired with the SnS insert and a Vortex. I’d bet that 3/4 of us have a kettle. The SNS Kettle has a few more features over the basic 3 legged Weber Kettle. I’d recommend the SNS Kettle over the basic Weber, just for the additional features.

You won’t be able to fit 2 full packer briskets on the 22” kettles, though one medium size should fit easily. You should be able to do 2 racks of ribs, though they might need to be halved or used with rib racks. I have recently started using my SNS Kettle at home for smoking, it does a great job and I’ve easily gotten 8 hours of smoke time out of one load of coals in the SnS insert, I probably could have gotten a few more hours out of that load too. Another tip is the use of good charcoal. A lot of us are fans of B&B Charcoal Briquettes, clean smoke and long cook times.
      I had never heard of a Vortex until you mentioned it just now. Looks awesome. I must admit, my desire to get a kettle is increasing from these posts. Thank you !
      Last edited by iggy 84; March 8, 2022, 12:19 PM.

Comment

+1 to what Panhead John said above.

I have a couple 22" Webers with a SlowNSear. I'm no magician with them and size is somewhat limited. You definitely can only fit 1 brisket on board, but I've crammed 3 racks of ribs using racks. With that said, I have successfully smoked everything from ribs to brisket to pork butts, and I can grill everything from shrimp to burgers to meatballs to ribeyes to tri-tip to pork chops. I'm a huge fan of the Weber by itself, and adding the SlowNSear was giant step forward in performance and temperature control.

If you want to spend a bit more, the write up by ecowper is a tour-de-force on what the SNS Kettle is capable of producing. The Weber with a SNS is pretty close behind.

Edit: Hinged grate - 100%. Nearly impossible to tend the coals if necessary or add smoking chips without it.

I don't think you'll regret your strategy of a 22" Weber and SNS at all. Good luck, and post pix!
        Last edited by Caffeine88; March 8, 2022, 12:22 PM. Reason: Forgot what I was gonna add. Grate. Just grate.

Comment

Best charcoal for snake method anyone?? Also, Does anyone "snake" with the PK360? Love to hear/see results!
        Thanks!

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          B&B. I can't answer the PK360 part, but the B&B stuff lasts for a looong time. It DOES take awhile to light and ash over so allow for that (I mean like 45 minutes vs 20 or 30 for KBB, not hours...)

If I were only going to smoke with it, as you said you are, I would get the PBC or Bronco. I have the PBC and a Kettle with an SNS. For low and slow smoking, the PBC is vastly superior to a Kettle with an SNS, in my experience. The flavor is better and the capacity is much larger.

Comment

When I got serious about smoking meats, and I was allowed to have only 1 grill or smoker, I started with a Weber MT Kettle and a SnS because I could grill and smoke and cook pizzas. Then I added a Vortex and a Cajun Bandit Rotisserie. I can do just about anything with this 1 grill/smoker and accessories. 4+ years later Father's Day 2022, an OKJ Bronco was added. I have done one cook on the Bronco and that was hanging 8 chicken quarters and I must admit, they were the best I have ever done. I am pleased with both of my smoking/grilling cookers. I added the Bronco based on advice here from members of The Pit.(see my post: PBC or WSM in Weber Smoky Mountain posts dated 6/6/22) One day I was smoking ribs on the kettle, which btw were great, and I wanted to grill something for lunch but with only 1 cooker, I was out of luck, thus the need for another cooker. I love my kettle! I am becoming a fan of the Bronco. Is the Bronco a better smoker? Time will tell. Is the Weber the most versatile? I think so. I believe you will be pleased with either and for sure with both. I also like using only 1 fuel source for both. I have no regrets. Of course, YMMV.
          Last edited by Purc; June 22, 2022, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s what’s great about having the Bronco and a kettle, you can grill or smoke on both, comes in handy. I think the more you smoke on the Bronco, the more it’ll become your primary smoker. My go to for grilling is the kettle, smoking on the Bronco, but nice to have a choice.

Guys - the original poster already has a drum/barrel smoker. His ProQ is pretty much a clone of the WSM 18, with an 18.8 inch (48cm) cooking grate, and a 50cm overall barrel diameter. It has 2 cooking grate levels, same as a WSM. It's smaller than the WSM 22, but about an inch bigger than the WSM 18. So all the advice to buy another barrel smoker is not what he is wanting to do.

iggy 84 Since you already have a drum/barrel smoker - that ProQ looks a LOT like a clone of the Weber Smokey Mountain - I think the Weber kettle would do quite well for smoking smaller batches, and having less cleanup. I'm in a similar situation, where I have an offset smoker that I've been using for 30+ years, and while it will hold up to 8 Boston butts, 3-4 briskets, or 8-10 racks of ribs, its just a lot of fuel and a lot of work to use. I bought a Weber Performer Deluxe (22" kettle on a cart) in 2017, used from a friend for $100, and started smoking on it using the charcoal "snake" method, later getting a SNS and switching to using that. I've not looked back, and I am loving smoking on the Weber kettle with the SNS versus my old offset. It's nice to use about 1/4 the fuel my offset required, and be more hands off. And if you use a foil-lined drip pan, aside from hitting the cooking grate with a brush, cleanup is minimal.

Just make sure you are getting the 22" and not the 18" kettle. The smaller kettle won't hold nearly as much, and does not use the regular SNS if you decide to go that route.

I got a Vortex for my kettle about a year ago, and that is my preferred method for cooking chicken now, but I still use the SNS for making everything else - brisket, butts, ribs, steaks, etc.

Oh - I will also throw out that with the kettle and a SNS, I've churned out some nice wood-fired pizzas on the grill!
          Last edited by jfmorris; June 22, 2022, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            "Guys - the original poster already has a drum/barrel smoker. His ProQ is pretty much a clone of the WSM 18, with an 18.8 inch (48cm) cooking grate, and a 50cm overall barrel diameter. It has 2 cooking grate levels, same as a WSM. It's smaller than the WSM 22, but about an inch bigger than the WSM 18. So all the advice to buy another barrel smoker is not what he is wanting to do."

jfmorris Jim, this is all about getting others to spend as much $ as possible. When are you gonna learn? 😂

Originally posted by iggy 84 View Post
          I own a ProQ Excel 20 (large drum stackable smoker).

I find it annoying to clean every time I want to smoke a couple of briskets or a couple small racks of ribs because it’s so damn big !

I’m seeing lots of basic Weber Kettles on sale- 2nd hand in good condition for like $60-$80. I’m considering one, and simply adding the slow n sear because I’ve been led to believe it’s a game changer, but I’m not sure if I’m just blowing money.

I’m not looking to grill anything on it- this is purely for smoking. Is it worth it, or should I be aiming for something like the pit barrel cooker or SNS grill and just fork out the money ? How’s your experience been if you’ve done something similar ??
          You my friend can solve this problem easily. Just smoke a lot more ribs each time!

Comment

Or of course you could pick up an inexpensive smaller propane smoker. (invoke heresy mode)

Comment

As long as you are in the Pit you will learn "budget" & "smokin" doesn’t fit in the same paragraph.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
                As long as you are in the Pit you will learn "budget" & "smokin" doesn’t fit in the same paragraph.

As with most things in life, most often, you get what you pay for.

Comment

I recommend a 22" Weber Kettle to first timers all the way up to pros all the time. I've had all kinds of smokers join my patio fleet over the years, and the only one that produced as good (maybe better) results was the Pit Barrel Cooker. However, the Kettle is more versatile (grilling/searing). If I'm not cooking more than will fit on the Weber Kettle (or 2, since I have 2), then it is my first choice every time. They are also very easy to find on facebook marketplace, craigslist, etc, for cheap. I got one barely used for $20 and another brand new, Professional, never used (and already assembled) for $70.
                  Last edited by JPGators17; June 23, 2022, 11:21 AM.

Comment

This is an old thread but, yeah, 22" kettle is the right choice here, IF you can only have one device or you don't have anything right not. The accessory range is what really sells it - you can smoke low and slow, grill, do wings etc, make it a rotisserie....

Obviously if someone has specific needs - higher capacity etc - then other things might be better. Likewise if you have a grill and just want a dedicated smoker. But the kettle should be the first thing someone considers and then they can ask themselves if it fits what they want to do.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here