Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this?

Hi All,

Woke up this morning to go clean my grill from yesterdays cook, and saw this. Looks like rust, but this is a brand new grill and rust doesn’t make sense. Just curious if anyone knows what this is and if it’s normal.
    Attached Files

Looks like rust…….

Comment

• sigaris
      sigaris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, but doesn’t make sense given that this is literally 2 weeks old. Would think they would make these things rust proof.

Spray it with pam and season it quickly. Remove the rust and season it.

Comment

is the inside of the lid painted?

Comment

• sigaris
        sigaris commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes.. brand new grill. Inside is painted black.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd clean it off and see if the paint was lost and you're seeing bare metal that's rusted. Regardless, it's brand new so if it's even slightly defective, I'd return/exchange it.

What did you cook last?

Comment

• sigaris
        sigaris commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoked some Ribs yesterday. It was only my second cook on the grill. First was earlier in the week.. just some chicken legs.

Huh. It looks like rust but I'd wipe it off. I wonder if some iron/steel powder was there and rusted? very odd.

Comment

Return it. Weber will make good.

Comment

Weird.

Comment

I don't think it's rust. Here is what the good folks over at Virtual Weber Bullet have to say.
            https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/f...uestions/#rust

I get the same thing on my WSM, and knock it off with a wire brush if it gets bad enough to bother me. Which means I very rarely give it a second look.
            Last edited by willxfmr; December 20, 2021, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• sigaris
              sigaris commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! Appreciate the link. Very informative and consistent with what I did which was low and slow with water in a roasting pan.

• zinfella
              zinfella commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, Smokealatoryness Condenserated Adhesion, of course!

• Razor
              Razor commented
              Editing a comment
              Immediately thought of that post when I read this thread. Good job finding it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here