Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leave kettle grill vents Open or Closed when not in use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santamarina
    replied
    My Weber performer retired a few years ago, but I always closed all the vents when I was done cooking. Part to save a little unused charcoal, part to keep critters from crawling in. I’m in a drier climate, but never had any mold.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    yup.

• jfmorris
    replied
    I would leave them closed. I always do, and mold in the kettle has not been an issue, unless I go and leave a drip pan full of grease in there and forget about it for months.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    I keep my vents open and keep the kettle covered when not in use. I figure that with the vents open it can breathe a bit and keep mildew and mold from forming.

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    replied
    I keep all vents closed because I live in the dusty desert. I also keep everything covered with nice and heavy covers to help keep the layer of dust from forming.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Since almost all of my mold problem happens in the WSM 22 I believe you are correct. Grease plus moisture plus wet conditions.

• ecowper
    replied
    I live near Seattle, in an area that gets 70”/year of rain. I just recently got a kettle, but have had a Weber Smokey Mountain and a Hasty-Bake for years. In both of those, I find the trick is to 1. Dump any water container that you have immediately after the cook. 2. Make sure that the cooker has cooled completely and then cover it. I close the vents right at the end of the cook for that.

If you cover it while it is hot, I have found you get a lot of condensation inside. And since I get a lot of mold and mildew where I live, I do everything that I can to avoid that problem.

I still occasionally have mold problems in the Weber. When I do, I scrub it all out with a wire brush, then run a hot fire in it for an hour to 90 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Panhead John CaptainMike

Rapscallion comes to mind, as well...

An, unless Etiquette has changed, in my Lifetime, I do b'lieve that'd be Mr. Scallywag! LOL

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Who you callin' dirty?

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    You’re just damn lucky I didn’t call you what you really are….a low down n dirty scallywag!

• Michael_in_TX
    replied
    I also live in a swamp and I keep my Kettle outdoors and covered with the vents closed. In three years, I have not had any mold issues. I often wonder if it is accumulated grease and not the ash per se that attracts the mold. My Kettle usage is 90% direct grilling, so I often have a full bed of coals in there covered all of the charcoal grate.

Also, after any indirect cooks, I will spread the remaining coals over the entire grate in an effort to burn off any grease/basting drippings that got in there.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    I prefer rascal or upstart, but the shoe fits....

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Not, by any means, a Weber Expert, but know what has worked fer me, thus far (since th '60's )

Most mine have no cover, so I keeps th top vents closed. Has to do with all kinda Scientifical thangs, like Precipitation, Gravity, an such, that I'd havedta reckon some y'all might, quite frankly, find kinda borin...

Bottom, I leave open, try to make it too small fer any wasps to git up in there, make em a nest..., but, Most Importantly, it prevents mould from growin, in there...

Not, by any means, any kinda Expert, as I have mentioned, previous...

But: I Do Reckon This; I currently has me more Webers sittin here on my lil patch of land, than Both Ace Hardwares, an both Walmarts, plus: throw in Tractor Supply currently has...

(Not fessin to alla th ones I has, spread round to other places I go cook/eat/play music/hang out)...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 28, 2021, 05:07 PM. Reason: tidied up, jus a smidge...

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Anything I can do to help git ya back on Th Trail, please reach out, an Lemme Know, Amigo!

Might only be a 7.62x54R, but I'm Dang Danged GUUUDDD with it, Brother!

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry to hear about all that, I hope you continue to get better! Stick around and show us some of your cooks. Also, this place is a lot of fun, in addition to learning a lot. Just keep an eye out for that CaptainMike guy. He’s a known scoundrel, as well as a hoodwink.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here