Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leave kettle grill vents Open or Closed when not in use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave kettle grill vents Open or Closed when not in use?

My Weber kettle lives outdoors. I don't have a covered patio but I do use a grill cover. Now that I'm able to grill/smoke on a regular basis, should I leave the vents open or closed when not in use (while covered)? I live in W. Oregon and we are now in our rainy season. My kettle sat idle for three years covered, vents closed. It was cleaned well prior to the hiatus and there was no mold/mildew when I did a cook last week (I did a hot burn out prior for the just in cases). I don't know if I just got lucky with the vents closed? What say you?

I'm cheap. So unless I'm deliberately trying to turn the remaining coals to ash, I close top and bottom vents as soon as I finish a cook. I reuse the partially burnt remnants for quick cooks. My 22" Performer lives on my uncovered deck under a cover and its always the rainy season here - never had a problem with mold or nesting critters

Comment

• 7x57mm
      7x57mm commented
      Editing a comment
      I do the same thing! I have full bags of Kingsford blue and always kept a large paper grocery store bag of blue nuggets šŸ‘ Don't think of it as being cheap, think of it as being charcoal prudent šŸ˜

With a cover on and left outside, I would leave them closed like you have been. Iā€™m no scientist but it seems to me it would help in keeping out moisture. And just like you did, itā€™s important also to keep it clean between cooks. I keep mine in my garage, without a cover, here in Texas, but I leave mine open. I figure a little air flow helps in keeping out moisture buildup.
    Last edited by Panhead John; November 28, 2021, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• 7x57mm
      7x57mm commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what I simply don't know PHJ....keep the vents open to prevent moisture buildup or close vents to prevent moisture buildup.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Since your kettle is covered, there is little to no air flow to speak of. Thatā€™s why Iā€™d keep them closed. Also with the damp and rainy weather you have there, keeping them closed should help. And if you left them closed before with no mold/mildew buildup, I wouldnā€™t stop whatā€™s working for you. But I have one questionā€¦..why the hell did you go 3 years without using your kettle! Thatā€™s grounds for termination of your membership here. šŸ˜‚
      Last edited by Panhead John; November 28, 2021, 02:56 PM.

Just don't let it go let it go long enough to grow mold.

Comment

• 7x57mm
      7x57mm commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't have a choice for three years I was a bit skeert when I opened the kettle up last week, lol.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      7x57mm I know we just touched on it, but one of the most important things though, is to store it clean with no ash inside. Grates should be clean too.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't listen to PJ, he's just trying to make more work for you!!

I'm in seattle and I clean it out (not fanatically, but removing the ash), close the top vents and leave the bottom open mostly because I'm lazy but also because it does allow any water that leaks in to drain out.

Comment

I always keep mine closed. Kettle, preformer and a 26Ć¢ā‚¬Ā kettle. Keep them all covered unless they are being used. Never an issue.
      The way itā€™s been out here in the north east lately weā€™re pretty much like you guys. Humid, rainy seems like every other day.
      Keep them closed.

Comment

".why the hell did you go 3 years without using your kettle! Thatā€™s grounds for termination of your membership here. šŸ˜‚"

LOL! Panhead John, I got hurt...backyard went to hades in a handbag, Covid, and a splash of depression. My somewhat passible pulled pork cook is bringing me around šŸ‘

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Youā€™re just damn lucky I didnā€™t call you what you really areā€¦.a low down n dirty scallywag!

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Who you callin' dirty?

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John CaptainMike

Rapscallion comes to mind, as well...

An, unless Etiquette has changed, in my Lifetime, I do b'lieve that'd be Mr. Scallywag! LOL

Not, by any means, a Weber Expert, but know what has worked fer me, thus far (since th '60's )

Most mine have no cover, so I keeps th top vents closed. Has to do with all kinda Scientifical thangs, like Precipitation, Gravity, an such, that I'd havedta reckon some y'all might, quite frankly, find kinda borin...

Bottom, I leave open, try to make it too small fer any wasps to git up in there, make em a nest..., but, Most Importantly, it prevents mould from growin, in there...

Not, by any means, any kinda Expert, as I have mentioned, previous...

But: I Do Reckon This; I currently has me more Webers sittin here on my lil patch of land, than Both Ace Hardwares, an both Walmarts, plus: throw in Tractor Supply currently has...

(Not fessin to alla th ones I has, spread round to other places I go cook/eat/play music/hang out)...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 28, 2021, 05:07 PM. Reason: tidied up, jus a smidge...

Comment

I also live in a swamp and I keep my Kettle outdoors and covered with the vents closed. In three years, I have not had any mold issues. I often wonder if it is accumulated grease and not the ash per se that attracts the mold. My Kettle usage is 90% direct grilling, so I often have a full bed of coals in there covered all of the charcoal grate.

Also, after any indirect cooks, I will spread the remaining coals over the entire grate in an effort to burn off any grease/basting drippings that got in there.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Since almost all of my mold problem happens in the WSM 22 I believe you are correct. Grease plus moisture plus wet conditions.

I live near Seattle, in an area that gets 70Ć¢ā‚¬Ā/year of rain. I just recently got a kettle, but have had a Weber Smokey Mountain and a Hasty-Bake for years. In both of those, I find the trick is to 1. Dump any water container that you have immediately after the cook. 2. Make sure that the cooker has cooled completely and then cover it. I close the vents right at the end of the cook for that.

If you cover it while it is hot, I have found you get a lot of condensation inside. And since I get a lot of mold and mildew where I live, I do everything that I can to avoid that problem.

I still occasionally have mold problems in the Weber. When I do, I scrub it all out with a wire brush, then run a hot fire in it for an hour to 90 minutes.

Comment

I keep all vents closed because I live in the dusty desert. I also keep everything covered with nice and heavy covers to help keep the layer of dust from forming.

Comment

I keep my vents open and keep the kettle covered when not in use. I figure that with the vents open it can breathe a bit and keep mildew and mold from forming.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                yup.

I would leave them closed. I always do, and mold in the kettle has not been an issue, unless I go and leave a drip pan full of grease in there and forget about it for months.

Comment

My Weber performer retired a few years ago, but I always closed all the vents when I was done cooking. Part to save a little unused charcoal, part to keep critters from crawling in. Iā€™m in a drier climate, but never had any mold.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here