Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leave kettle grill vents Open or Closed when not in use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7x57mm
    commented on 's reply
    I do the same thing! I have full bags of Kingsford blue and always kept a large paper grocery store bag of blue nuggets 👍 Don't think of it as being cheap, think of it as being charcoal prudent 😁

• 7x57mm
    replied
    ".why the hell did you go 3 years without using your kettle! That’s grounds for termination of your membership here. 😂"

LOL! Panhead John, I got hurt...backyard went to hades in a handbag, Covid, and a splash of depression. My somewhat passible pulled pork cook is bringing me around 👍

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    I always keep mine closed. Kettle, preformer and a 26” kettle. Keep them all covered unless they are being used. Never an issue.
    The way it’s been out here in the north east lately we’re pretty much like you guys. Humid, rainy seems like every other day.
    Keep them closed.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Don't listen to PJ, he's just trying to make more work for you!!

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    7x57mm I know we just touched on it, but one of the most important things though, is to store it clean with no ash inside. Grates should be clean too.

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Since your kettle is covered, there is little to no air flow to speak of. That’s why I’d keep them closed. Also with the damp and rainy weather you have there, keeping them closed should help. And if you left them closed before with no mold/mildew buildup, I wouldn’t stop what’s working for you. But I have one question…..why the hell did you go 3 years without using your kettle! That’s grounds for termination of your membership here. 😂
    Last edited by Panhead John; November 28, 2021, 02:56 PM.

• 7x57mm
    commented on 's reply
    I didn't have a choice for three years I was a bit skeert when I opened the kettle up last week, lol.

• 7x57mm
    commented on 's reply
    That is what I simply don't know PHJ....keep the vents open to prevent moisture buildup or close vents to prevent moisture buildup.

• rickgregory
    replied
    I'm in seattle and I clean it out (not fanatically, but removing the ash), close the top vents and leave the bottom open mostly because I'm lazy but also because it does allow any water that leaks in to drain out.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    replied
    Just don't let it go let it go long enough to grow mold.

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    replied
    With a cover on and left outside, I would leave them closed like you have been. I’m no scientist but it seems to me it would help in keeping out moisture. And just like you did, it’s important also to keep it clean between cooks. I keep mine in my garage, without a cover, here in Texas, but I leave mine open. I figure a little air flow helps in keeping out moisture buildup.
    Last edited by Panhead John; November 28, 2021, 02:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• coupster
    replied
    I'm cheap. So unless I'm deliberately trying to turn the remaining coals to ash, I close top and bottom vents as soon as I finish a cook. I reuse the partially burnt remnants for quick cooks. My 22" Performer lives on my uncovered deck under a cover and its always the rainy season here - never had a problem with mold or nesting critters

Leave a comment:

• 7x57mm
    started a topic Leave kettle grill vents Open or Closed when not in use?

Leave kettle grill vents Open or Closed when not in use?

My Weber kettle lives outdoors. I don't have a covered patio but I do use a grill cover. Now that I'm able to grill/smoke on a regular basis, should I leave the vents open or closed when not in use (while covered)? I live in W. Oregon and we are now in our rainy season. My kettle sat idle for three years covered, vents closed. It was cleaned well prior to the hiatus and there was no mold/mildew when I did a cook last week (I did a hot burn out prior for the just in cases). I don't know if I just got lucky with the vents closed? What say you?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here