Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle lid gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kettle lid gasket

Hey, I’m about to put a foam adhesive gasket on the lid of my Weber kettle (hoping to seal it up a bit). I’ve got it all cleaned up, 3 years of smoke, grime, and gunk all scraped off. Do I want to put the gasket on the outermost ‘vertical’ portion of the lid, where the lid meets the outside surface of the bowl, or on the more ‘horizontal’ surface of the lid, where the lid meets the upper edge of the bowl? I’m guessing where the lid meets the upper edge of the bowl, but thought I’d do a quick double-check with people who have done this before.

Also, should I leave a gap in the gasket, where I can run my temperature probe wires through, or can I just run those anywhere over the gasket?

Thanks in advance!!

I placed mine on the horizontal surface. It's worked great that way,

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      No wonder I couldn’t get the lid to fit properly when I tried this. I ended up taking it off. Should’ve asked the Pit!

I placed mine on the horizontal surface as well

Comment

Horizontal and run it all the way around, it compresses on the probe wire.

Comment

You've gotten the best surface answer above. However, I hope you're only being terminology sloppy in describing the gasket material as "foam". Foam is a plastic material that would both melt and off gas potentially dangerous gases at higher cooking temps. You should use a material like Nomex which is a hi temp resistant fabric material.

Comment

• Grillin Dad
          Grillin Dad commented
          Editing a comment
          Aww man, yeah, you caught me being sloppy. As an engineer, it physically pains me to see that I misused such a technical term. But yeah, I’m using a nomax-based ‘FireBlack’ adhesive gasket.

I’d edit my post, to go ahead and correct this, but I’ll leave it alone as my punishment.

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          Not to worry Grillin Dad, I can't even spell enjinear............

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Grillin Dad

You should’ve said that first off! This thing sounds fancy!

Funny, They were not designed to have that problem.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; October 4, 2021, 08:32 PM. Reason: Meant "Not designed"

Comment

• Grillin Dad
          Grillin Dad commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, the lid isn’t much of a problem, it’s the rotisserie that leaks like a sieve. I figured if I’m going to gasket the rotisserie, I may as well do the lid too, that way I don’t have to run my wires through the vents anymore. Just happened to clean off the lid first.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          That was a designer joke. Not funny if you have to explain it. LOL

Gasketed the lid and rotisserie, which leaked like a sieve. No more baby!! Thanks for the input!!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess that G-Word is past tense? I know the feeling, I had a cheap offset smoker whereby the lid fit on the base like a shoe box.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here