Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp increases getting in to the wider part of a SNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rickgregory
    replied
    So, I had a small chuck roast that I picked up to smoke and make pulled taco beef out of. Right now the kettle is cruising along at 265. Here's what I did differently:

1) Started with eight B&B briquettes in one corner of the SNS.
    2) When those were gray, added MAYBE 15 more, spread out in the SNS with only a couple touching the lit coals.
    3) The bottom vents were closed down to about 1/8th open. Top at 1/2.

The temps started out at 200F and slowly have climbed over the first 2 hours or so. As I type this, it's at 267. It's been bumping around there. If it does climb close to 300 that's OK - what concerned me last week was that the temps here climbing rapidly, like 10F in a couple of minutes and shot past 300F.

I do think the extreme efficiency of the kettle+SNS is a blessing and a curse. Blessing since I can get a few hours out of relatively few coals. Curse in that if I do want to go really low for some reason, it's a bit harder - I'd probably want no more than 8-12 coals when doing something like bacon or fish.

Leave a comment:

• big_mack
    commented on 's reply
    rickgregory not really. I added a gasket seal to the lid.

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    It's still a great charcoal basket.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    are you seeing any smoke from around the lid where it sits on the body of the grill?

I've gotten mine to do mid-200s before so I know it can be done.

• big_mack
    replied
    Originally posted by Attjack View Post
    This is why I prefer the snake method. It's much more consistent than the SnS. It also burns longer.
    was thinking that myself. consistent fuel. but makes my expensive SNS somewhat obsolete.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    This is why I prefer the snake method. It's much more consistent than the SnS. It also burns longer.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Definitely a useful Heat Sink... I use water pans / reservoirs alla th time...does it help? I dunno, but can tell ya it has never Hurt anything!

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed: Should be monitored and adjusted, as appropriate to whatever yer cookin, as needed.

• big_mack
    replied
    Originally posted by grantgallagher View Post
    I always get a huge temp increase whenever the water reservoir runs dry. Talking about 100 degrees. I always try to keep it filled and i find that keeps temps much more stable. Usually have to refill every 3 hours or so.
    thanks for that comment. It must be the water res. I didn't use it this time. now I know just how important is.

Leave a comment:

• big_mack
    replied
    Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
    How long into the cook? What temp are you trying to hold?

Are you giving the charcoal a poke or two around 3 hours? You know, to knock down the ash?

Awe. Never mind. I see you are up in the Great White North. The air up there is more flammable I hear.
    haha. air is thinner where I live but not sure if that noticeably affects a cook. I had 225 for 2.5 hrs for back ribs and then it started to rise to and peaked at 280 over a 1 hr period. I let it rise because I figure 250 was no big deal, then it hit 260 and then 280 by the time I closed vents to bring it down.

Leave a comment:

• grantgallagher
    replied
    I always get a huge temp increase whenever the water reservoir runs dry. Talking about 100 degrees. I always try to keep it filled and i find that keeps temps much more stable. Usually have to refill every 3 hours or so.

Leave a comment:

• big_mack
    replied
    Originally posted by Troutman View Post
    Get fan control and stop temp swings.
    Yes, its good justification to add a fan to the fireboard. I would love to set at 225 and forget about it.

Leave a comment:

• big_mack
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
    Odd? I think as th SNS widens, more lit coals would=more British Thermal Units, Predictably...

Unless yer cookin somethin Super-Delicate, I fail to see th need to even monitor this event...

Light th properly built fire... allow it to reach fruition, set vents accordingly, an roll on...

Enjoy yer Supper, Minus th Thermo Stress
    Temp rose from 225 to 285 and it took me a while to bring it back down and the ribs were a bit dry. I'm not sure if they were dry just due to a higher temp cook or not. But at this point I'm going with the temp does affect a cook and it should be monitored and adjusted and should not be ignored, at least for me and for now.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    I started 14 coals when I roasted my peppers. So they were a little bit along when I threw the Wibs on. I use my original SnS in my SnS grill. That grill is scary. It was almost like I had a temp dial on it. After a couple of little temp swings that I caused do to fiddlin with things, I got it to 274 & it stuck there for around 2 hours. This grill is amazing, I’m lovin it!

PS. I didn’t use water, fergot to, yessir.
    Last edited by FireMan; August 22, 2021, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    So I can't speak for big_mack but I used to be able to hold 250-275 consistently and that was fine. Last couple of cooks, the temp starts shooting past 300. Last time it got to 315 before I shut down a lot of the bottom vents. I think, though, that my case is air leaking in from around the lid. Time for some lava lock .
    Last edited by rickgregory; August 22, 2021, 11:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here