Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp increases getting in to the wider part of a SNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Attjack with the Performer using the PartyQ and the SNS, I leave the fan off, all vents open until I get up to about 200 degrees. THEN I turn on the fan and close the bottom vent, and set the top vent to about 1/3 open, give or take. I only use the fan for cooks in the 225 to 300 range. The PartyQ is powered by 4 AA batteries is the main reason I don't turn it on earlier. I don't need to waste battery running the fan full out to try and get things from 100 to 225 degrees.

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    I'll have to see next time I use my SnS (for the 26 I don't have one for my 22). It's been a while but I definitely recall having to refuel, add more water, and adjust vents. What I should really do, now that I modded the 26 to take a fan, is use that with the SnS. Then I would presumably not have to adjust vents.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    If you are not adding water to the Slow N Sear for low and slow cooks (225 to 275), I will bet that is why you are seeing that much temperature fluctuation. I fill mine with a quart of hot water when I fill the rest of the SNS with fuel, and things stay stable. I don't bother adding more after it runs out after 4-5 hours though, and it doesn't ever seem to be an issue for me.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I also get 10-12 hours or more on a load of B&B lump or briquettes in the SNS. In a 2x2 snake running most of the way around the kettle, I never got that long without adding to the snake.

• Red Man
    commented on 's reply
    I have to disagree about the need to refuel. I’ve been using B&B briquettes which can keep the kettle at 250 for 10-12 hours on one full SnS. If I use B&B char logs I can keep the kettle at 250 for around 16 hours if I completely fill the SnS.

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, that's it exactly. But it would have to work reliably saving set-up time by just dumping charcoal in there. If it was prone to going out it wouldn't make a very good product but I'll bet it would work.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Attjack so basically what you are talking about would be a circular trough the size of the kettle charcoal tray, maybe with a divider to separate the beginning from the end - that way you can go all the way around, versus 3/4 the way I used to do when using the snake method.

Sounds like something that could be prototyped from sheet metal, by someone with the ability to bend it the right way and put some rivets in the right points.

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    I've oftent thought that Adrenaline or someone else should make a snake method charcoal basket the allows you to dump briquettes into a snake-tamer rather than having to stack them. Of course if it worked this would only save a few minutes of prep time.

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    I agree that you can get it stable for a couple hours but that's just a fraction of what the snake method will achieve. Smoking with the SnS means refueling and if you use the water trough, it means refilling that as well.

• Beefchop
    commented on 's reply
    Same. You also get more surface area to cook on with this method.

• big_mack
    replied
    Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
    It just takes VERY few briquettes for this to sit at 250. I have a few almost burned out ones and 4-5 new and it's humming along at 250F:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0724.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1082001
    I'm going to use the water sink and less fuel next time. That will hopefully provide a flatter temp curve. Problem is I will be out of town for a while so can't try this new approach for a while. But once back I'll be cooking a couple of racks right away.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    Ha. I tossed on a few small bits of wood since the last chunk had burned down. It's at 278 now. Efficiency is NOT the problem here

• rickgregory
    replied
    It just takes VERY few briquettes for this to sit at 250. I have a few almost burned out ones and 4-5 new and it's humming along at 250F:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0724.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1082001

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    On mine I think it's a combo of needing some gasket (checks Amazon delivery status...) and how many coals are lighting early on. This cook is humming along around 260F just fine, like previous cooks.

I do think the number of coals being lit early on is a factor - not just the number you start with but how many unlit coals are touching them and thus light early in the cook. If you start with 8 coals and then have a lot next to them so they're lighting all at once you go from 8 lit coals to double that or whatever. Also, I cranked the vents way down to compensate for the leak and that helped a lot (checks Amazon again)

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Sorry guys, maybe its just me, but I don't see any huge fluctuation or increase in temperature when using the SNS. And I've used it a lot, on both my Performer and the SNS Kamado. Once I get the vents locked down where I want them, even without a temperature controller, things are pretty stable after the first hour or two. And I did plenty of snake setups before I got the SNS in 2017, and I much prefer using the SNS.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here