Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp increases getting in to the wider part of a SNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
    This is why I prefer the snake method. It's much more consistent than the SnS. It also burns longer.
    was thinking that myself. consistent fuel. but makes my expensive SNS somewhat obsolete.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      are you seeing any smoke from around the lid where it sits on the body of the grill?

I've gotten mine to do mid-200s before so I know it can be done.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      It's still a great charcoal basket.

• big_mack
      big_mack commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory not really. I added a gasket seal to the lid.

So, I had a small chuck roast that I picked up to smoke and make pulled taco beef out of. Right now the kettle is cruising along at 265. Here's what I did differently:

1) Started with eight B&B briquettes in one corner of the SNS.
    2) When those were gray, added MAYBE 15 more, spread out in the SNS with only a couple touching the lit coals.
    3) The bottom vents were closed down to about 1/8th open. Top at 1/2.

The temps started out at 200F and slowly have climbed over the first 2 hours or so. As I type this, it's at 267. It's been bumping around there. If it does climb close to 300 that's OK - what concerned me last week was that the temps here climbing rapidly, like 10F in a couple of minutes and shot past 300F.

I do think the extreme efficiency of the kettle+SNS is a blessing and a curse. Blessing since I can get a few hours out of relatively few coals. Curse in that if I do want to go really low for some reason, it's a bit harder - I'd probably want no more than 8-12 coals when doing something like bacon or fish.

Comment

Sorry guys, maybe its just me, but I don't see any huge fluctuation or increase in temperature when using the SNS. And I've used it a lot, on both my Performer and the SNS Kamado. Once I get the vents locked down where I want them, even without a temperature controller, things are pretty stable after the first hour or two. And I did plenty of snake setups before I got the SNS in 2017, and I much prefer using the SNS.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I also get 10-12 hours or more on a load of B&B lump or briquettes in the SNS. In a 2x2 snake running most of the way around the kettle, I never got that long without adding to the snake.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll have to see next time I use my SnS (for the 26 I don't have one for my 22). It's been a while but I definitely recall having to refuel, add more water, and adjust vents. What I should really do, now that I modded the 26 to take a fan, is use that with the SnS. Then I would presumably not have to adjust vents.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack with the Performer using the PartyQ and the SNS, I leave the fan off, all vents open until I get up to about 200 degrees. THEN I turn on the fan and close the bottom vent, and set the top vent to about 1/3 open, give or take. I only use the fan for cooks in the 225 to 300 range. The PartyQ is powered by 4 AA batteries is the main reason I don't turn it on earlier. I don't need to waste battery running the fan full out to try and get things from 100 to 225 degrees.

On mine I think it's a combo of needing some gasket (checks Amazon delivery status...) and how many coals are lighting early on. This cook is humming along around 260F just fine, like previous cooks.

I do think the number of coals being lit early on is a factor - not just the number you start with but how many unlit coals are touching them and thus light early in the cook. If you start with 8 coals and then have a lot next to them so they're lighting all at once you go from 8 lit coals to double that or whatever. Also, I cranked the vents way down to compensate for the leak and that helped a lot (checks Amazon again)

Comment

It just takes VERY few briquettes for this to sit at 250. I have a few almost burned out ones and 4-5 new and it's humming along at 250F:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0724.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1082001

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha. I tossed on a few small bits of wood since the last chunk had burned down. It's at 278 now. Efficiency is NOT the problem here

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
        It just takes VERY few briquettes for this to sit at 250. I have a few almost burned out ones and 4-5 new and it's humming along at 250F:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0724.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1082001
        I'm going to use the water sink and less fuel next time. That will hopefully provide a flatter temp curve. Problem is I will be out of town for a while so can't try this new approach for a while. But once back I'll be cooking a couple of racks right away.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          If you are not adding water to the Slow N Sear for low and slow cooks (225 to 275), I will bet that is why you are seeing that much temperature fluctuation. I fill mine with a quart of hot water when I fill the rest of the SNS with fuel, and things stay stable. I don't bother adding more after it runs out after 4-5 hours though, and it doesn't ever seem to be an issue for me.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here