Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp increases getting in to the wider part of a SNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp increases getting in to the wider part of a SNS

I'm getting temp increases thru a cook as time goes along. I lit a about 15 weber briqs to start and put them in one corner and loaded the rest of the SNS with unlit charcoal. I'm finding I have to reduce air as I get in to wider section of the SNS where there is more fuel. Is this the way its suppose to be? It makes sense.

Same. try fewer lit coals to start and kind of spread out coals. It's odd, I just started seeing this too

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
      Same. try fewer lit coals to start and kind of spread out coals. It's odd, I just started seeing this too
      I did not use water. Maybe that's why its more noticeable.

Comment

I use water, which might help a bit. I wouldn’t necessarily use less briquettes. 12 briquettes works for kbb, but I’ve switched to B&B (which I think is similar to Weber but I’ve never used Weber briquettes) and 16 lit works well for me. I actually suggest not worrying about the temp slowly rising. I like to start around 200 and let it slowly rise to 275 or so over the duration of the cook. I feel this helps get more smoke into the meat by starting at a lower temp. It also helps to power through the stall and results in much shorter cook times than staying at 225.

Comment

Odd? I think as th SNS widens, more lit coals would=more British Thermal Units, Predictably...

Unless yer cookin somethin Super-Delicate, I fail to see th need to even monitor this event...

Light th properly built fire... allow it to reach fruition, set vents accordingly, an roll on...

Enjoy yer Supper, Minus th Thermo Stress

Comment

Get fan control and stop temp swings.

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              What this 👆guy says if the increase really bothers you.

How long into the cook? What temp are you trying to hold?

Are you giving the charcoal a poke or two around 3 hours? You know, to knock down the ash?

Awe. Never mind. I see you are up in the Great White North. The air up there is more flammable I hear.

Comment

So I can't speak for big_mack but I used to be able to hold 250-275 consistently and that was fine. Last couple of cooks, the temp starts shooting past 300. Last time it got to 315 before I shut down a lot of the bottom vents. I think, though, that my case is air leaking in from around the lid. Time for some lava lock .
              Last edited by rickgregory; August 22, 2021, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I started 14 coals when I roasted my peppers. So they were a little bit along when I threw the Wibs on. I use my original SnS in my SnS grill. That grill is scary. It was almost like I had a temp dial on it. After a couple of little temp swings that I caused do to fiddlin with things, I got it to 274 & it stuck there for around 2 hours. This grill is amazing, I’m lovin it!

PS. I didn’t use water, fergot to, yessir.
                Last edited by FireMan; August 22, 2021, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
                  Odd? I think as th SNS widens, more lit coals would=more British Thermal Units, Predictably...

Unless yer cookin somethin Super-Delicate, I fail to see th need to even monitor this event...

Light th properly built fire... allow it to reach fruition, set vents accordingly, an roll on...

Enjoy yer Supper, Minus th Thermo Stress
                  Temp rose from 225 to 285 and it took me a while to bring it back down and the ribs were a bit dry. I'm not sure if they were dry just due to a higher temp cook or not. But at this point I'm going with the temp does affect a cook and it should be monitored and adjusted and should not be ignored, at least for me and for now.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed: Should be monitored and adjusted, as appropriate to whatever yer cookin, as needed.

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
                  Get fan control and stop temp swings.
                  Yes, its good justification to add a fan to the fireboard. I would love to set at 225 and forget about it.

Comment

I always get a huge temp increase whenever the water reservoir runs dry. Talking about 100 degrees. I always try to keep it filled and i find that keeps temps much more stable. Usually have to refill every 3 hours or so.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
                      How long into the cook? What temp are you trying to hold?

Are you giving the charcoal a poke or two around 3 hours? You know, to knock down the ash?

Awe. Never mind. I see you are up in the Great White North. The air up there is more flammable I hear.
                      haha. air is thinner where I live but not sure if that noticeably affects a cook. I had 225 for 2.5 hrs for back ribs and then it started to rise to and peaked at 280 over a 1 hr period. I let it rise because I figure 250 was no big deal, then it hit 260 and then 280 by the time I closed vents to bring it down.

Comment

Originally posted by grantgallagher View Post
                        I always get a huge temp increase whenever the water reservoir runs dry. Talking about 100 degrees. I always try to keep it filled and i find that keeps temps much more stable. Usually have to refill every 3 hours or so.
                        thanks for that comment. It must be the water res. I didn't use it this time. now I know just how important is.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Definitely a useful Heat Sink... I use water pans / reservoirs alla th time...does it help? I dunno, but can tell ya it has never Hurt anything!

This is why I prefer the snake method. It's much more consistent than the SnS. It also burns longer.

Comment

• Beefchop
                          Beefchop commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Same. You also get more surface area to cook on with this method.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here