Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp increases getting in to the wider part of a SNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
    This is why I prefer the snake method. It's much more consistent than the SnS. It also burns longer.
    was thinking that myself. consistent fuel. but makes my expensive SNS somewhat obsolete.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      are you seeing any smoke from around the lid where it sits on the body of the grill?

I've gotten mine to do mid-200s before so I know it can be done.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      It's still a great charcoal basket.

• big_mack
      big_mack commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory not really. I added a gasket seal to the lid.

So, I had a small chuck roast that I picked up to smoke and make pulled taco beef out of. Right now the kettle is cruising along at 265. Here's what I did differently:

1) Started with eight B&B briquettes in one corner of the SNS.
    2) When those were gray, added MAYBE 15 more, spread out in the SNS with only a couple touching the lit coals.
    3) The bottom vents were closed down to about 1/8th open. Top at 1/2.

The temps started out at 200F and slowly have climbed over the first 2 hours or so. As I type this, it's at 267. It's been bumping around there. If it does climb close to 300 that's OK - what concerned me last week was that the temps here climbing rapidly, like 10F in a couple of minutes and shot past 300F.

I do think the extreme efficiency of the kettle+SNS is a blessing and a curse. Blessing since I can get a few hours out of relatively few coals. Curse in that if I do want to go really low for some reason, it's a bit harder - I'd probably want no more than 8-12 coals when doing something like bacon or fish.

Comment

Sorry guys, maybe its just me, but I don't see any huge fluctuation or increase in temperature when using the SNS. And I've used it a lot, on both my Performer and the SNS Kamado. Once I get the vents locked down where I want them, even without a temperature controller, things are pretty stable after the first hour or two. And I did plenty of snake setups before I got the SNS in 2017, and I much prefer using the SNS.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I also get 10-12 hours or more on a load of B&B lump or briquettes in the SNS. In a 2x2 snake running most of the way around the kettle, I never got that long without adding to the snake.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll have to see next time I use my SnS (for the 26 I don't have one for my 22). It's been a while but I definitely recall having to refuel, add more water, and adjust vents. What I should really do, now that I modded the 26 to take a fan, is use that with the SnS. Then I would presumably not have to adjust vents.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack with the Performer using the PartyQ and the SNS, I leave the fan off, all vents open until I get up to about 200 degrees. THEN I turn on the fan and close the bottom vent, and set the top vent to about 1/3 open, give or take. I only use the fan for cooks in the 225 to 300 range. The PartyQ is powered by 4 AA batteries is the main reason I don't turn it on earlier. I don't need to waste battery running the fan full out to try and get things from 100 to 225 degrees.

On mine I think it's a combo of needing some gasket (checks Amazon delivery status...) and how many coals are lighting early on. This cook is humming along around 260F just fine, like previous cooks.

I do think the number of coals being lit early on is a factor - not just the number you start with but how many unlit coals are touching them and thus light early in the cook. If you start with 8 coals and then have a lot next to them so they're lighting all at once you go from 8 lit coals to double that or whatever. Also, I cranked the vents way down to compensate for the leak and that helped a lot (checks Amazon again)

Comment

It just takes VERY few briquettes for this to sit at 250. I have a few almost burned out ones and 4-5 new and it's humming along at 250F:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0724.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1082001

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha. I tossed on a few small bits of wood since the last chunk had burned down. It's at 278 now. Efficiency is NOT the problem here

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
        It just takes VERY few briquettes for this to sit at 250. I have a few almost burned out ones and 4-5 new and it's humming along at 250F:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0724.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1082001
        I'm going to use the water sink and less fuel next time. That will hopefully provide a flatter temp curve. Problem is I will be out of town for a while so can't try this new approach for a while. But once back I'll be cooking a couple of racks right away.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          If you are not adding water to the Slow N Sear for low and slow cooks (225 to 275), I will bet that is why you are seeing that much temperature fluctuation. I fill mine with a quart of hot water when I fill the rest of the SNS with fuel, and things stay stable. I don't bother adding more after it runs out after 4-5 hours though, and it doesn't ever seem to be an issue for me.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
      Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. We gave Spark a Platinum Medal for pushing the envelope of product capability while maintaining high standards of design and workmanship.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
      Click here for our review of this superb smoker