Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two 22" kettles and one Smokey Joe in a covered outdoor kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two 22" kettles and one Smokey Joe in a covered outdoor kitchen

After decades of grilling outside in the Florida elements I finally have an opportunity to build a covered outdoor kitchen over my babies. I sometimes have all three charcoal grills cooking at once. Any ideas on how to avoid heat and smoke buildup under the roof?

Congrats on your fine choice of cookin machines!

I cook under the sun n stars...... sorry

Comment

• thegeneral2
      thegeneral2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel your pain!

An exhaust fan to blow your troubles away.

Comment

• thegeneral2
      thegeneral2 commented
      Editing a comment
      A strategically placed exhaust fan!

Not done this but my inclination would be to build the roof with a slight peak from each site up to the center and put a chimney there so the smoke and heat would rise, hit the roof, be guided to the peak where the chimney is and escape. Some would depend on the actual design (are there any walls or is this effectively an open area with a roof? how big above the ground is the roof? etc)
    Last edited by rickgregory; August 12, 2021, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• thegeneral2
      thegeneral2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm contemplating a fan to either pull or push the smoke and heat out a central chimney but no firm decision yet. Except for some cabinets supporting countertops and MAYBE a 2/3s wall as an outside wall it will be open.

I’ve always liked the look of a double tiered roof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C6E254DA-EDCE-4214-84D0-2C0020C4CB25.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1076613

Comment

• thegeneral2
      thegeneral2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm seriously considering this design. Any idea on the length and width of the structure?

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      thegeneral2 I just grabbed a screen cap off of a google search. I’m sure it can be built any dimensions needed.

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just searched double tiered roof gazebo

Make it tall. I have no issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210812-195339_Photos.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	1076629

Comment

• thegeneral2
      thegeneral2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Something like this is also a possibility. It's not uncommon for us to get high winds and a couple of inches of rain in a couple hours in the Summer when the East and West Florida sea breezes collide shortly after the charcoal is lit and the food hits the grill grates. The slant of the roof definitely has to be away from the house and not so high that the rain is blown onto the grills extinguishing the charcoal.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here