Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Requesting Weber Kettle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requesting Weber Kettle help

I want to modify my 22" Weber kettle by drilling a couple of holes to accept temp probes. Right now I am leaning toward drilling holes just big enough to accept the probe and cable. I am suspicious of the silicone grommet because it is a certainty (an absolute certainty, I tell you!) in my world that the kettle temp will at some point very soon exceed the 400-ish°F temp limit for the silicon. Where specifically do y'all recommend drilling the holes (height relative to grill surface and angular orientation relative to the lid vent)? I'm thinking the main concern is keeping the probe cables away from the heat source (SnS) opposite the vent. Also, where to place the grill temp probe? I have a good feeling for height (mid-food height), but how far "into" the grill? I have seen the AR discussion w/ photo wherein the the probe is supported by a ball of aluminum foil and I will likely go that route.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

You can run the heat probe wires through the bottom air vent and hang the sending unit on the one touch handle or the charcoal catcher if you have a gold model. To mount the BBQ temp probe yes to a ball of foil or cut a small onion in half.

Comment

• Brisket Syndicate
      Brisket Syndicate commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on this.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Great advice!

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      This is precisely what I do, no need to drill for the thermometer, works perfectly.

Willy If your kettle has the built in dial thermo, I would use that hole to put the probe through. If you don't have a built in one, I think my plan would be to drill a small hole, almost the same diameter as the probe it self, below the grate line opposite the where you place your SNS. Then you could thread your probe and cable up through the bottom portion to the grate and use your probe holder on the grate, a few inches from where you place your food. Then you wouldn't have to monkey with unplugging it or anything when you want to remove the lid. (assuming your using Mavs or something similar for probes) This is just an idea that I was thinking of implementing on my Weber. If you do it, let me know how it goes. Good luck my friend.
    Last edited by Spinaker; September 2, 2015, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      @Spinaker: I ended up drilling two small holes about eight inches apart at roughly the grate line in the bottom section of the kettle and I position them to be opposite my SnS. Works fine for the two Maverick probes. Holes are about 3/16, just large enough to accommodate the bulge in the probes where they attach to the wires. Turns out the Maverick came with a probe clip, so all is right in the BBQ universe.

Very easy to do. I used a punch to make a dent for hole starting, then used a smaller bit to start and finished with the "full sized" bit. No need to back-up with a wood block or anything to provide support during drilling. I should probably use a round file to remove any small burrs but haven't done so yet.

Thanks for your help!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy, Hey man great news. Happy to help. Thats why we are here brother.

Thermoworks sells their grate clip for $3, and it will work for probes up to .125" diameter. Larger if you have a small round file.

Comment

Here is the pic if you don't want to use the link.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	106806

Comment

The BBQ Guru probe tree works great too.

Comment

Thanks mucho for your ideas. As obvious as it seems in retrospect, I'd never have thought to go in through the bottom section of the kettle. I will go that route for sure. I like the little probe clip as well.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Let me know how it goes. Followed by pictures of course.

Personally I would be afraid that going through the bottom might expose the probe to excess heat.

Comment

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            I never have had a problem, I thought about that too myself but it has been fine.

brownie: Re excess heat, I think I wouldn't go that route except with an indirect set-up or something like a SnS. It occurs to me that another natural access route would be through the top vents. Anyone tried that?

Comment

• BBQFOOD4U
            BBQFOOD4U commented
            Editing a comment
            You can go through the top vent but it's a pain in the butt to me.
            I don't usually use the probes when cooking over 425*
            Maverick probe wire are rated for 700*

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            I go through the top vent of my Weber 26 all the time. Trying the bottom vent sounds like a winner; I'm going to try that, esp when smoking during winter storms with a blanket.

Note about going through the top.......the 6' cables are very useful, esp when opening the lid.
            Last edited by richinlbrg; September 4, 2015, 05:02 AM.

Originally posted by brownie View Post
          Personally I would be afraid that going through the bottom might expose the probe to excess heat.
          I hear ya,
          That's why I was suggesting putting the probe hole on the opposite side of the SNS. If placed there, it would be far below the temp a MAV can take. (700 F) Going through the top is a pain IMHO. Putting through the top always seems to cause problems for me. The probe gets caught on something, or the cable does or the receiver falls off the table. I was putting it in between the lid and the body and that worked okay but it leaks when you do that. I am going to do this Mod this weekend, I will let you guys know how it goes!!
          Last edited by Spinaker; September 3, 2015, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Hi Willy,

Here's some info about what I did. I added a 3rd hole in the kettle about 2 inches above the food grate. The hole is drilled on the opposite end from where the SnS is placed. That way I can run a probe into the kettle and point it towards the SnS. The meat temp hole ( the 2nd hole 2" above the grate is about 60 - 90 degrees off to the side of this new hole)

You'll have to scroll down through the thread to find the post from Medusa

HTH,

-- Ed

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...mer-for-probes

Comment

The hole closest to the handle is the one that I run the probe for the SnS (or Vortex in this case). Think of the probe centered at the handle and pointed towards the SnS. Always like to have a little slack in the cable for moving things around.

The other hole (white circle by porch railing) is for the probe running into the meats!

I love my Rig and wouldn't have any clue whatsoever as to what to do without AR!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	2X2_Fuse_Vortex_Holes.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	107148

Last edited by Medusa; September 4, 2015, 04:19 PM.

Comment

You can just run the cables under the lid. I haven't had any issues with temps, cable damage or anything.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same here

Instead of drilling or running the wires through a vent, I wonder if the lip on the lid would be big enough to apply some Nomex tape and still have it sit securely to the lower shell..? That way just leave a small gap in the Nomex for the wires!

Comment

• Siouxfan
                  Siouxfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup!

• Willy
                  Willy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @Siouxfan: Both my folks went to UND, Mom was from Grand Forks, Dad from Williston. I don't envy you your winters, I lived along the Canadian border my entire non-adult life--ND, UP of Mich, Idaho, Montana--and I'm glad to live in the high SW desert now. :«)

• Siouxfan
                  Siouxfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sioux Falls isn't as bad as the frozen tundra, but a close second. There are days I miss it though...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here