Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie with SNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie with SNS

Hey everyone, happy Friday!!

Bit of a newbie over here and looking for a little advice. I've got a Weber 22" kettle with the rotisserie and a SNS. When I'm using the rotisserie, I place the charcoal baskets that came with the grill on opposing sides and a water pan between them, with the water pan doubling as a grease catcher. It works out pretty good, but the charcoal baskets don't burn as evenly or hold temps as consistent as the SNS (it's also the only thing I use the baskets for). I'm going to rotisserie a turkey this weekend and am wondering if I could pair the rotisserie with the SNS instead of the charcoal baskets. Has anyone done this before? How would I set the rotisserie with the turkey against the SNS and water pan, so that the dripping from the turkey fall into the water pan instead of the SNS? So that the turkey rotates up from the water pan and down towards the SNS, or rotating the turkey up from the SNS and down towards the water pan?

Thanks everyone!!

I have done a lot of turkeys on a Kettle using the baskets, but not with the SnS. I think the problem might be clearance of the legs and wings from the SnS. It's not a problem with a chicken, but turkeys can be a lot bigger. I don't like trussing the wings and legs because doing that makes the cook take longer and can lead to the breast drying out. YMMV

If you do do it, be prepared to add some al. foil to protect the bird if it browns too fast.
    Last edited by RonB; July 24, 2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

+1.

Comment

• Grillin Dad
        Grillin Dad commented
        Editing a comment
        Aww, I hadn't thought of that! Good point, will have to keep with my old method of using the baskets. Thanks!

I’m with Ron B on this one. I’m thinking the turkey might be too big as mentioned. It could possibly rub against the SnS or get very close. I’d try it with the baskets like you’ve done the chickens. I’ve done rotisserie chickens before and had great success with the baskets. Since the turkey will take longer to cook, you can start with full baskets of mostly ashed coals filled to the top. If you find you need more coals later, you can always add some during the cook. With the lid on and constant rotation of the meat, unevenness of your coals burning shouldn’t be a problem.
      Last edited by Panhead John; July 23, 2021, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I would bank the coals right on the charcoal grate off to one side or even both sides. This will give you the clearance you need for the turkey. Then place the drip pan along side or between the coals accordingly.

Comment

Spatchcock the bird, and smoke it on a pellet grill. Sorry no help
          Happy grill to you and PBR too
          Last edited by bbqLuv; July 24, 2021, 06:58 AM.

Comment

The SnS works very well on a Rotisserie Turkey. What RonB said....Also as long as it's not a big turkey. On the smaller size is better and trussing it well helps cook evenly. I cooked a Thanksgiving Turkey with the SnS about 3/4 full and added lit coals twice. Maintaining the 3/4 or slightly less full SnS. Worked like a charm.

Comment

I did a 20 pound turkey for Thanksgiving using the rotisserie on my Weber kettle. I just banked the coals to one side of the charcoal grate, and used no baskets. That left me plenty of room for a foil drip pan, and the turkey did quite well. I think I used a half chimney of lit on top of a half chimney of unlit, like I would have in the SNS to get to 350F, and then I added a few more scoops of charcoal about half way through the cook. For that cook I went with the dome thermometer, since there was no grate.
              Last edited by jfmorris; July 24, 2021, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• DanMancuso
                DanMancuso commented
                Editing a comment
                How long did the 20lb take to cook?

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                DanMancuso probably about 3 hours, based on time stamps on photos I took before and after the cook.

haven't tried turkey yet, but done just about everything else (tri tip, game hens, etc.) on the rotisserie with SnS. Works great!

Comment

I haven't done a rotisserie turkey but had this thought after absoluteley no thinking it through or being asked but.... Might be a way to tilt the back of the SNS toward the middel (bowl side higher). Might give you more concentrated heat toward the bird and give you more room? Feel free to ban me for life if needed.

Comment

Hey, just as a follow-up, I ended up wuss-ing and doing the rotisserie with the Weber baskets on either side, like I always do. Also used a couple chunks of pecan wood and a 'kickin' finger-licking chicken' rub my wife gave me for Father's day. Kept the temperature between 300-350 (as best as I could tell, kinda hard to measure with the rotisserie). Turned out great, best turkey I've done yet. Sorry, no pics, by the time it was ready, we were starving and devoured it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here