Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&B Snake method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zinfella
    commented on 's reply
    Different strokes, etc.

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    I would rather not refill charcoal at all. When I can get 16+ hrs at 225°- 250° out of a SnS XL load of B&B, I don't even have to think about it anymore once I get underway. And then there are times I just need to be somewhere else for a period of time that includes that 8 hr mark. There's nothing wrong with sticking to what works, but I'm glad I discovered something that works better for me.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I've done lots of cooking time tests on a 22" kettle with the SnS and different charcoals. On 1 fill of the SnS cooking at 225, I see 7-8 with KBB, 5-6 with Royal Oak Briquettes, 12+ with Weber briquettes (discontinued), and 10-12 with B&B lump or briquettes. B&B char logs are even longer I imagine, but its hard to fill the SnS with those due to their size.

• STEbbq
    replied
    I echo everyone’s comments on B&B. It is a very good value and worth trying out.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    +3 with the neighbors and kingsford

• zinfella
    replied
    Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
    bmillin the snake method is a great way to smoke on a kettle, and is what I used to do before I bought a Slow 'N Sear. I've pretty much switched over exclusively to B&B charcoal when I can find it, as like you, I find it to burn much longer than Kingsford charcoal. I've grown to hate the chemical smell from Kingsford when it is first starting in a chimney. I don't get that bad aroma with any other brand of charcoal that I've tried.
    I can get up to 8 hrs out of 1 fill of the SnS in my Performer using Kingsford Original with a tmp set at 225Ëš-250Ëš, and it's fall'in down easy to refill it for an even longer cook.

Leave a comment:

• zinfella
    commented on 's reply
    Ayuh, BTDT with the neighbors! LOL

• zinfella
    replied
    My buddy Dave likes B&B, and he tries everything new, and/or different, as he finds it. This behavior is not restricted to charcoal, or any other fuel, but covers a wide swath of things, edible and otherwise. I am not opposed to change, but need a reason. When I'm satisfied, I DGAFRA about what else is available. I don't wanna get into learning how to use something new to me when I ready gave it covered

I understand that variety is the spice if life, and GW sees to it that I get my share.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Kingsford Pro from Costco is about all I burn anymore. It's cheap. Yea it puts off a lot of smoke during the burnoff (I think it's the gypsum they use for a binder) but it's reliable and predicable for me. I like B&B but not enough to switch. As said YMMV.

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    "No, I hsve not used B&B because I'm happy with Kingsford." ~ me, right up until I decided to see what all the fuss is about with B&B.

But I still keep Kingsford original around for quick grilling jobs, because I feel like that's a waste of B&B.

• zinfella
    replied

In a side by side test of 4 different briquets that I saw online, don't ask me exactly where, because I don't recall, Kingsford Professional burned hotter than Kingsford Original, but didn't last as long. That matches my own non-scientific experience using those 2 different briquets.

So, it's important to say which Kingsford briquets you are comparing B&B to. No, I hsve not used B&B because I'm happy with Kingsford. YMMV

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    I’ve use the snake method on my son’s 26” and had no problem doing a 10# Boston Butt at 225.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Yea the smell and the smoke. It's like your house is on fire !!! Actually had a neighbor come over one day to make sure there wasn't a fire LOL.

• jfmorris
    replied
    bmillin the snake method is a great way to smoke on a kettle, and is what I used to do before I bought a Slow 'N Sear. I've pretty much switched over exclusively to B&B charcoal when I can find it, as like you, I find it to burn much longer than Kingsford charcoal. I've grown to hate the chemical smell from Kingsford when it is first starting in a chimney. I don't get that bad aroma with any other brand of charcoal that I've tried.

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    IMO B&B Briquettes and Lump are a good bang for the buck.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here