Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build a 26" Performer from this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build a 26" Performer from this?

Picked up a 26" Weber Kettle a couple of days ago. Now I see this (https://boise.craigslist.org/grd/d/b...347418939.html), a 22" Performer for $5. Can I mount the 26" in this cart and make a 26" Performer???

The problem with that setup is it is made for the 22" kettle. The whole thing will need to be made wider: table top, lower shelf, etc. It can definitely be done, though. And you would only have $5 in it to start.

Comment

Ugh. Already sold. Oh well. I haven't even used the 26 incher yet. Maybe I should do that first.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, keep that idea in the back of your mind for when the legs of that 26" give way.

• zinfella
        zinfella commented
        Editing a comment
        Betty Grable was known for her legs, Weber, not so much!

I think the amount of jury rigging needed to fit a 26 inch kettle into a 22 inch performer cart would be better served to just buying some mounting brackets from UnknownBBQ and mounting the 26" into a wooden table or cart that is large enough to handle it.

Regular steel:

https://unknownbbq.com/product/weber...teel-brackets/

Stainless steel:

unknownbbq.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, unknownbbq.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Last edited by jfmorris; July 7, 2021, 10:23 AM. Reason: Fixed link for stainless steel brackets

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        I had to bookmark that Unknown BBQ site, good stuff, thanks for posting.

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
      I think the amount of jury rigging needed to fit a 26 inch kettle into a 22 inch performer cart would be better served to just buying some mounting brackets from UnknownBBQ and mounting the 26" into a wooden table or cart that is large enough to handle it.

Regular steel:

https://unknownbbq.com/product/weber...teel-brackets/

Stainless steel:

https://unknownbbq.com/product/kettle-brackets/
      Would love to see where someone used those brackets in a finished product. They seem awfully narrow to provide the amount of clearance I think you would want.

Comment

IdahoJim how about here:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...er#post1019690

Steve R. built his using a stainless cart and the Unknown brackets. You are right that the clearance is a little tight, but it won't matter if using a non-flammable table top. The ones he used have some art on them:

Last edited by jfmorris; July 7, 2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I gave mine the maximum clearance (about 3/4") and the table top gets warm to the touch, but not really hot. If I could have found an affordable table deep enough, I would had the direct heat part of the grill hanging off like an actual Performer.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. I've got a 2007 model Performer Deluxe with the thermoset table, and I doubt the clearance from the kettle body is more than an inch, if that. It can also get warm, and due to smoke leakage (probe wires, etc), that edge of the table has gotten a few discolored spots from smoke exposure, but it hasn't melted or anything. Almost half of the kettle body on a Performer is up against the table surface. I never saw any discoloration from high heat grilling - just from smoking.
          Last edited by jfmorris; July 7, 2021, 12:01 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ECF7BAB3-7BB4-46AA-BA30-FAD9E7B47CE5.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	1056851

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Heavy gauge painted steel and yes that is a 26” even though it looks small.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here