Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting the smoke started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the smoke started

Hey All,
    I starting to experiment with using smoke and I can't seem to get it started. First some background. I'm using a 22.5 weber kettle, reg. kingsford coal, and for now chips (its the most readily available and in my tight budget). I tried to put the chips in a foil loaf pan, but was not sure where to place it. I tried on the cooking grate, next to the coals, and resting on the coals nothing seemed to work. Finally tossed loose chips into area of coals that had heavy ash which kept the chips from bursting into flames, which is my understanding what you don't want them to do. Can someone help a brother out.....let me know what you all do. Thanks!

When I was using chips, I'd soak them for about an hour, wrap them in some heavy duty aluminum foil, cut a few holes in the top, and drop them right on the coals. They would eventually begin smoldering and last a while before the coals burned through the bottom of the foil.

My process was very similar to this guy's approach:

Comment

First, Don't soak your wood.

Check out Zen of Wood
      then search "Meathead's Smoke Bombs." You can make these with an aluminum foil pouch too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	packets.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	10571

Comment

I agree with Pit Boss on the soaking. I should have mentioned I gave that up a couple of years ago. Last year I switched to chunks. Home Depot has been stocking a variety of wood types at about $7 for a good sized bag. Lowes was carrying them too and I would imagine many home improvement stores would have them as well.

Comment

Thanks for the input... I checked out the smoke bombs and the foil packs, but I am unclear on a couple of things.
          First, if you use a foil pack and place it on the coals isn't it bad like toxic to burn foil?
          Second, using the foil pan method where do you put the pan. On the coal (in which case see first question) or above the coals.

Comment

You shouldn't have to worry about burning aluminum in a standard cooking fire. The heat needed just isn't there in charcoal or wood fires used in a grill or smoker. And yes, you can place the pan right on the coals, but most put it above the fire on a grate for easier access. You just want the wood in contact with the direct heat, how you place it can vary depending on your setup.

Comment

Thanks Huskee. I will play around with some different setups. Oh well, I guess I will just have to keep on making rack after rack until I find what works.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here