Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learned a new hack yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learned a new hack yesterday

So, yesterday was one of those days I put all of what I have learned so far in fire set up, it was like 95 degrees, no shade at the bbq cook off yesterday. So, I was expecting my 26 Weber to heat up much more then I was used too, I kept it under pretty good control, I ran an7 hour fire build over a 6 hour cook, building my own 2 zone set up in my 26. About 4 hours in, it started to want to climb a bit more then I could control, with out big changes. Fortunately, I had decided to drop a second probe in, just case I had a probe issue, watching that probe every now and then, it was hanging down by the lower grate, blocked from the fire by fire bricks. I realized that area was running 40-60 degrees cooler then my grate probe. So, it was easy to quick take the top grate off, drop some foil to the bottom ash level grate, but, it is a two zone blocked by bricks. That allowed me to get a lower temp, until I could get the fire re adjusted. It also builds a natural holding area if you are done a bit early. in the future I may even set up that area to fit a rib rack as well. These are not photos of yesterday, it just represents what I had built, and what the quick drop in temp area would look like if you were considering this. I realize that many of you likely already know this trick, but, it is one of the many things I enjoy about a Weber, and always finding hacks to adjust as needed. Or tools you don’t know you have at your disposal.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CA11FEE1-CF3B-4CA5-BEF4-847F0D338DB9.jpeg
Views:	440
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	1045372

Name:	104C5161-9D4D-44B9-99B4-3466D01B0E3B.jpeg
Views:	417
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	1045374

Name:	33A6E5CF-8A90-4993-A8B1-559C5FAF86DB.jpeg
Views:	421
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1045373

But I have a pellet Grill.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm so sorry for your misfortune! 😜

Does putting the wood chunks under the coals help? I'm still learning the many ways to use my webber and have put the chunks on top of the coals so far. Just wondering if there is a difference.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      My little experience has shown me that the chunks under the coals, minimizes flare ups in temp and fire, keeps it more of a nice gradual smoke, more often then not.

My theory when I place the chunks under the coals is similar to an offset or the KBQ. Make the smoke go through the hotter coals so that the bad smoke gets burned up and more of the coveted blue smoke comes thru. When I do afterburner steak cooking using the charcoal chimney I place a couple of chunks in the starter paper cavity which does the same thing only better. Cleaner smoke. It's a theory but it has sound guess work.

Comment

JimLinebarger and Richard Chrz I've been shoving wood chunks under the coals after seeing old Harry Soo do it a few years back. He never did say why he does it only that he recommended it. I agree, you get a cleaner burn maybe not because it's being filtered but because it can't smolder under the hot coals like it can above them where they can get more oxygen. My two cents worth anyway. Even though it's counterintuitive (one would think billowing white smoke is good) this is that favored blue smoke everyone is ideally looking for. Glad to see others doing this as well. It's indeed a good practice.

Comment

• Papa Bob
        Papa Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        i think i would concur

• Chiller Phil
        Chiller Phil commented
        Editing a comment
        Regardless of the woods location in the charcoal bed, incomplete combustion is occurring as the Fire Triangle is incomplete.
        As to the KBQ, the crux of its design is a fully oxygenated coal bed which supports complete combustion.
        A Charcoal fueled cooker restricts the Air/Oxygen portion of the Fire Triangle.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Very interesting subject, I've always put down a charcoal bed, lite it got coals started then added my chips or chunks.
        The concept of building the coal bed on top of the chunks is something I will try next cook.

Regardless of the woods location in the charcoal bed, incomplete combustion is occurring as the Fire Triangle is incomplete.
      As to the KBQ, the crux of its design is a fully oxygenated coal bed which supports complete combustion.
      A Charcoal fueled cooker restricts the Air/Oxygen portion of the Fire Triangle.

Comment

Here is what I can say about the coals being over the wood. However the post was about the lower grate area being a holding area based on the reduced temp, and being blocked by the fire bricks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	123D7F5E-B43C-47C6-B4B1-9A821F0FFF4C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	730.7 KB ID:	1047554
        Click image for larger version  Name:	87A75DBF-6FA8-416D-974A-651CAA5026CC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.27 MB ID:	1047556
        Click image for larger version  Name:	0F76816C-C262-4A31-98E6-EC2FB7A61473.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	821.4 KB ID:	1047555
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; June 19, 2021, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Chiller Phil
          Chiller Phil commented
          Editing a comment
          Richard, as per your last statement, it was hijacked. The instigator is responsible for restitution.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you put curing salt in your rub or was the smoke ring painted on with red food coloring???
          LOL
          Happy grilling to you and PBR too.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here