Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is with my Weber Kettle and tree frogs?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is with my Weber Kettle and tree frogs?!

Okay, this is getting to be really, really weird. And it just happened again. And it is freaking me out. So for the past four or so cooks on the Weber, when I take the cover off, 3-4 tree frogs come leaping out of the cover. Often on to me. (I do this odd combination of yelp and scream. I should record it sometime. Yall'ed love it.)

One time when I forgot to close the bottom vents, they were actually in the kettle itself.

What is so odd is that they are never under the cover or in my PBC. Maybe they are just into direct grilling and don't care for this slow-smoked stuff?

I can't see them.........

Comment

What color is yer kettle?

Comment

You like bass fishing?

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
          I can't see them.........
          A couple more shots of Jack and they'll be right along.......

Comment

If you grill up some frog legs, they won't be able to jump anymore.
            If their legs were to grow back you would have an ongoing supply for frog legs.

Happy grilling to you.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, I've seen them jumpin' in the pan.

• Dick Anderson
              Dick Anderson commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll bring the PBR!

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Should of had a pbc pbc pbc & a pbr

I used to have this happen with an old gas grill. That was the only grill they ever inhabited, and I haven't had that problem since I got rid of it.

Comment

My kettle, just like my PBC, is black and so are the cover. The only difference, now that I think about it, is that I store the Weber closer to the house and it is nearly always in shadow. The PBC is stored further out on the patio and is usually in the afternoon sun.

Let's just say I now take the cover off the Kettle with a significant amount of timidity.

Comment

Are these frogs large, like 2 or three inches? You may have Cuban Tree Frogs.

We have them in Florida. They are invasive and have decimated the native population of the nice little green tree frogs we all played with as kids. They are also prone to getting into electrical junction boxes, etc. and wrecking havoc. They also secrete a toxin that is nasty to the skin and eyes.

I have a 4 foot long piece of pvc pipe that I use to knock them off the walls, light fixtures, grill covers, etc. As they lay on the ground, they are dispatched with prejudice.
                Last edited by Bkhuna; April 26, 2021, 03:40 AM.

Comment

I would have never guessed there were tree frogs in the middle of Texas, I’m not in the desert, but dry and hot is the default weather. These live in my Live Oak trees and when it gets wet we find them on the cars or in the boat.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I had frog legs for dinner and my stomach was jumpy all night.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here