Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Score - 1960s 26-incher!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Score - 1960s 26-incher!!

I met a guy a short while back who sold me my beautiful 1975 22-inch Red kettle. He seemed to have a knack for coming across old Webers so I asked him to keep an eye out for a 26" kettle. well, today i got the call. i raced over to meet him not sure what to expect but let me tell you the guy delivered pretty good. it's not "perfect" I guess but heck if it isn't perfect for me!

The lid is a 1986 'H' code. Nothing super exciting there. But then we move downstairs to find a lovely chocolate-colored kettle. Three lower vents puts her back pretty far . . . but wait! - the legs have set screws - that means pre-1969. But wait! - the tires are rubber with faded off white walls! What we're looking at, I believe, is a pretty good 1964-66 survivor. But how did it get separated from it's original lid? I will never know. but if you ever come across a 1964-66 chocolate lid atop a mid-1980s kettle let me know!

This my big boy. I call him Huggy Bear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210420_164913733.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1020622

Here's Huggy Bear next to Gwen Verdon. the difference between a 22 and a 26 is HUGE!

Name:	IMG_20210420_164649685.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1020623

Name:	IMG_20210420_164806707.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	1020624

Name:	IMG_20210420_164823406.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1020626

How much more grilling space on a 26? The 22" kettle lid fits inside the handles on each side of the 26" grate.

Name:	IMG_20210420_164750395.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	1020625

Mid 1960s wheel next to 1975 wheel.

Name:	IMG_20210420_164843870.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	1020627

Nice!!!! Great Score!!!

Comment

Wow, great find!

Comment

Suh-Weet Vintage 26.75" incher, Amigo!

Also, Lovin th Moniker, 'Huggy Bear'...

I Certainly go back, least that far...

Comment

• latenight71
          latenight71 commented
          Editing a comment
          i recall 8 channels on TV growing up (counting PBS) and watching whatever was on at the moment and relishing every second. if you go back that far then we are swimming in the same boat.

That’s awesome!

Comment

Great find for sure.

Comment

Mr. Bones

I dug up some back story on my Huggy Bear kettle. Seems he had quite the ambition in his younger years!!

thought you'd enjoy!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              LMAO, Brother>>>

Th shots with th fishbowl platform shoes is definitely from "I'm Gonna Git You, Sucka!"

It was also fun to see Harsky an Stutch... lol
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 20, 2021, 09:31 PM.

Wow!!! Nice score!!!

Comment

Yeah baby!!! Love finding or getting stuff like this. I really like the wheel pic. The wheel construction and bolt assembly on the mid 60's look much sturdier than the '75 model.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10 and 13. I believe we had in the 60's. Outside NYC.

To be honest I didn't even know they offered a 26 back then. Nice find for sure !! I noticed the bent handle, I had an old 22 that I flung the lid one day and bent mine just like that. Brought back memories.

Comment

Troutman

I was thinking the same thing about the 26 not going back to the 1960s but found this on Weber website.

"Starting in 1961, we had The Easterner (18 ½â€), The Statesman (22 ½â€) and the Aristocrat (26 ¾”) in colors, one of which was called "Hunter’s Pink". To anyone’s eye or description, they were red…….the first red kettles sold by Weber. . . . .Through the ‘60s, we added colors like chestnut-coppertone, key lime, yellow, glen blue, avocado and chocolate, to name a few."
                  source - https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/beh...ber-29921.html

However, after looking over my 26 more carefully and doin' some searching I'm pretty sure it's most likely a 1974-75-ish model and not a 1964. The bottom vents have large tabs, which started in 1975. a bit confused on why the set screws are in the legs, which were suposedly eliminated in 1973 when the patent was filed, but i'm satisfied with calling it a mid '70s kettle.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• latenight71
                    latenight71 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    oops. this red one isn't mine. i only included because it has the same wheels as my 26.

Looking sweet!

Comment

My only complaint of the old Webers from the 70s and 80s was the lack of the ash cleanout system and the one touch vents. It was a messy deal catching ash in those trays and trying to detach them without spilling it all over. Those two upgrades alone really made for a much better cooker. That said, the old buoy design has sure made that cooker a clear winner over time for the backyard warrior !!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here