Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took a stab at a DIY 26" Performer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took a stab at a DIY 26" Performer

I have had nothing but trouble with the leg sockets coming loose at the welds, even with the replacement bowl I received less than a year ago. I thought about getting another replacement bowl, but I'm done drilling holes for the probe port and fan controller. And I have been wanting a Performer-style cart for awhile now, so this nudged me to finally get it done. Bye, wobbly legs! 😃

I had a bunch of Humana Go365 bucks burning a hole in my pocket, so this stainless steel food prep table with optional casters from Amazon was basically free. Then I just needed two carbide jigsaw blades to cut a hole in the table top, and some Unknown BBQ table brackets to mount the bowl. The legs were too close together to allow me to have part of the grill hanging out from the end of the table, so I don't have the use of the lid holder for now. Last step is to actually bolt the mounting brackets to the table, but here is what I have so far:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210418_200156.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.00 MB ID:	1019691
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210418_200234.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.80 MB ID:	1019692Click image for larger version  Name:	20210418_191002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	1019693
    Last edited by Steve R.; April 19, 2021, 08:14 PM.

Looks awesome!

Comment

I would like to say-you nailed it! So much better than legs. Great job.

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Great idea and looks great! you could maybe use a lid hinge like this - https://www.amazon.com/Weber-KETTLE-.../dp/B00RNF1Y5K

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought about it, but there is about 1" of table where the bottom part of the hinge attaches to the grill. Reason being the legs are only 25" apart at the ends, so I had to cut an entire circle closer to the middle of the table than I had hoped. It could still work if I cut out a notch to accommodate it. I'll have to see how tired I get of laying the lid on the driveway or bottom shelf.

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve R. Keep us posted if you add the hinge. I think the lid nail and add a handle on the front like Attjack did for his 26 might be easier, but, I have to imagine the lid bale on the table just takes even more storage space in a garage. What are your thoughts on that?

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Richard Chrz , I'm kind of leaning toward not doing anything additional for the lid. Even when I had a Weber Ranch, I always set that heavy lid flat on the concrete driveway to preserve hot air during low and slow cooks. I don't do a lot of grilling that my Smokey Joe can't handle, so it's just not that important to me.

Damn Steve. That’s an awesome mod.
            I would love more info on this project.
            Pics and specs and so forth.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Got a link?

And how did you mount it to that table?

Comment

Steve R.
            what about something like this? it looks like it uses the Weber lid hanger with an extra bracket attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ee7ccff6b0543c74d986f98049ec314b.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	1019738

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what I'm considering. Mine is close enough to the end of the table that the bottom of the lid holder can easily reach the hole in the grill where it was originally attached. Might just need to straighten out the ends of it to fit into holes in the table.

Reply fail. Steve B , I went with this table from Amazon, in the 48" × 30" size, which will set you back $240: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07K4VD2...7S2XJKZYWS5CY9

I honestly kinda played it by ear, and used the lid as a template for the hole. It's really just a matter of putting the table together and cutting a hole where you want it. But while I was at it, I also cut the legs down by 2" to get the tabletop to counter height with the casters installed.

There are two steel reinforcements on the underside that you lose a few inches of when you cut. At some point I may JB Weld a couple of pieces of rebar or something inside those rounded sides to shore it up, but that may not be necessary.
            Last edited by Steve R.; April 18, 2021, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve R. Below you mention leaving the 'sides' a little flatter. I'm considering a 26" Weber, and a cart and mods like you and the gang here have done. Can you sketch out what you mean by that? You already discussed using the lid to trace a circle. Thanks, Daniel

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Dr. Pepper, what I was getting at is that by using the lid to trace the circle, I ended up a little closer to the sides of the table top than I like, now that I look back on it. It still works fine, just not a lot of room to work with when attaching those mounting brackets.

Here's another idea . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	a725c70f0e2c4d98dcce475f82309568.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1019764

Comment

Bravo, Brothers!!!

I'm feelin some inspiration, on accounta my 'Taco Handle' 26.75 is deffo kinda Shakey Jake, as well

As others, above have indicated, I'd be interested in detailed dimensions, etc., if/when available...

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                The table is this one from Amazon in the 30" x 48" size: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07K4VD2...7S2XJKZYWS5CY9 . I used the lid and a Sharpie to draw a circle on top and then went to work with a jigsaw w/ carbide blades. One blade gets about halfway around before losing too many teeth. And that's about as complicated as I got with it.

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                If I was doing this all over again, I might leave the sides of the hole (do circles even have sides?) a little flatter to allow more table to drill into for the table mounting brackets. Also, I cut the legs down by 2" to get the table to 36" from the ground. I started out with a hacksaw, but I'm lazy and impatient, so I knocked those out with a Sawzall instead.
                Last edited by Steve R.; April 19, 2021, 02:31 PM.

Looks great Steve. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Very nice! Great job!

Comment

I’m still in design phase of what I absolutely want. I am either doing a cross bar on the back to I can keep the lid bale, or I have 5o have a hinge attached first, so all clearance is given for that as well. Thinking I am dropping in a 2 burner propane burner as well. I am also in talks with cajun bandit for building me a diffuser and ring set up of sorts for a 26.
                  Last edited by Richard Chrz; April 19, 2021, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here