Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a vortex and wok on their 22" Weber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a vortex and wok on their 22" Weber?

I was watching a Kenji Lopez video last night and he was using one of those grates with the hole in the center and a wok. That looked like fun to me. So I'm looking at grate options other than the Weber Gourmet System. Does anyone do this already? Other thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	yQRGWP1.jpg
Views:	1600
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1018569

No, but it sounds like a great idea. If you have a flat bottom wok, I wouldn't worry about buying a grate with a hole in it though.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a large flat bottomed cast iron wok now. I bought it to use on the grill but tend to use it on the stove. However, I would like to develop some legit wok skills. That will require a lighter traditional style wok and blazing hot temps. I figure a vortex fits the bill and a grate with a hole in it will be more practical for wok, wings, and beyond That way I have access to the vortex and won't be hammering the center of the grate with intense all the like I do now.

No, but I have used my wok with the SnS in the past. Worked superbly. Maybe not much in the aesthetics but got the job done.

Comment

I haven't done it yet but plan on doing alot this summer.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        That's great! My nephew is looking at buying a wok burner. I also considered it but I figure I might want to work with what I have now before I go that far. A new grate won't cost that much and is easy to store.

You can use a flat bottom wok with any concave heating device. I use mine on my clay wok oven. All it means is it has a flat bottom to sit on western stove tops, but it still works as a wok.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a flat bottom wok so my next wok will be round-bottomed. You can always get a wok ring too for the stovetop. My stove isn't that powerful though so I probably won't bother.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Round-Bottomed Girls, Y'all Makes Th Rockin World Go 'Round!!!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 17, 2021, 12:57 AM.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones Freddie might not of cared all that much but he understood 😂

I love using a wok on my kettle. I too have looked at getting the Weber Gourmet grill grates with the hole in the middle, but just haven't been motivated enough. I use the charcoal baskets put together on one side and use the wok on the grate just above.

FWIW I have an Imusa light-weight cast-iron flat-bottomed wok that works really well for my skills. Next wok will be round-bottomed carbon steel.

Comment

I do - with a racetrack around the vortex, all the air channels through the fuel and it gets hot. Because of this, I use very little fuel - generic charcoal from the local market. Let's just say it's more fun, but I can control the heat better on my gas range. - TIP: you can make a great lower racetrack from a standard pizza pan.

What I do in the wok is pretty heat sensitive - first vegetable oil, then a dash of sesame oil, followed by soy and fish sauce, then the ingredients, then the lo mein and garlic. It's a timing process to get good results.

Someone tell me if it's worth it? It's hard to do the same thing with a wok on a grill that you can do above gas flame on a range. I will admit I've only used CI, not carbon steel. I'm not sure I want to use my carbon steel wok above coals to try to outdo what I'm really happy with on the range.

I started a post last September about the Dhungar Method - a way to add typical smoke flavor to a dish inside. I suggest that if this is your goal, at least try it - transfer the finished food from your wok on the range to a lidded pot setup using this method. Don't use the wok (a couple of mine have a lid) because the food will overcook.

Last edited by JGo37; April 16, 2021, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice. Cutting a pizza pan to fit the vortex I made as I did for my SnS is definitely going to happen. You probably have a better range than I do. I have a hand held smoker that makes adding smoke to anything easy but I had not considered that for wok cooking.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack I just ran into countertop food smoking contraptions - I didn't know they existed and are pretty simple. I like the hands-on steps of the Dhungar method, just like I enjoy grinding coffee in the morning and using a press.

@JGo37 This was my first hand-smoker. I can't locate a pic of my newer one. It's more substantial.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FBxO_RM-FpqkgUDzL0nY67VUJZN7S582vwnGAs6_N1D35_M_LhC_m2Y80WQanweNou7hF4TVNfLrgOnzLVXhjSo8OC5eejk49QVRH9I8NI35rrLTfPZMAGcbfTwgB4VXkG6XObUGbXFIpOFbO5jUD6hWnK7vFkTPD_Wov8MGq7KZVPmEWk4EKbmVA8k-9JxMuMv8SYvO5EpDv7IyQcE2kquZOcHTxAldnEv_s9wCepUK7X6KTWxX1bz1OmmXslz Views:	23 Size:	289.6 KB ID:	1018641
      Last edited by Attjack; April 17, 2021, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I also have a 12" wok ring that doubles as a charcoal cage. It is the same size as the gourmet grill hole. I am also planning to use it for the charcoal along with the gourmet grate and my 16" wok the next stir-fry we do. We use to do sweet and sour pork a lot but have tapered off since we have to limit fried foods. Have tried Meathead's version but it isn't the same as tasty fried pork. That wok ring holds a lot of charcoal briquettes and gets VERY hot.

Comment

That is how I use my wok on the grill, minus the vortex, but have built my own “vortex: style set up.
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; April 16, 2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

No rack is really needed. If you have a wooded handle double wrap it in heavy duty foil. Just place your wok directly on top of the hot coals. Make sure you have long bbq gloves on and long handled hoak or wok spatula. Works with either a flat or round bottomed wok. When I use my round bottomed wok I keep the wok rack close by to set the pan on when removing from the coals. Also I like carbon steel woks as they cool down quickly after removing from the fire. This way your food does not continue cooking as they do with an iron wok. Super quick cooking!

Comment

I didn't use my kettle for this one, but did use the GBS grate from it. The Onlyfire SM has a removable grate so it makes it easy to do that. Fire in the inverted vortex. I found it useful to adjust the temp/height during various phases of the cook and react to the varying temps of the coals (minor issue really). I love playing with different approaches...............I just wish that Kenji guy would stop copying me.

Name:	Bronco stir fry 06.jpg
Views:	1291
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	1018869

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                I know Bob! You don’t know how many times I’ve seen posts from you, then a week later that Kenji dude has the same type of cook or recipe posted....and he takes credit for it.

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                I just realized my old fishfry baskets will make great fuel baskets for under a Wok, or a host of other things...

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Perfecto.

K.

I'm considering this steel vortex grate.

Name:	img_5759.jpg
Views:	1208
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1019456

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                That seems nicely heavy duty.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Polarbear777 It does which was why I was considering a cast iron grate but I think maybe steel would be even better.

To get enough heat I’d be sure to block all airflow up except through the vortex and give it as much air as possible.

the hotter you can get the faster it cooks and recovers between batches and you’ll find the point where you can’t keep up with it, then dial it back a notch.

After optimizing several air blown charcoal wok rigs, I’ve switched the the now ubiquitous propane wok burners. Just as hot and a lot more control, useful for deep frying etc. outdoors also.

Comment

I use a wok on my WSCG...but I’ve not tried it with the vortex. I just use the grill baskets...seems to get plenty hot.

FWIW, I have both cast iron and long handled plain carbon steel woks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here