Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My fully loaded (for now) 22" kettle: SnS, FireBoard 2.0 Drive, Pit Viper, and SnS Drip Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My fully loaded (for now) 22" kettle: SnS, FireBoard 2.0 Drive, Pit Viper, and SnS Drip Pan

This weekend I installed a Pit Viper fan to use with my also new FireBoard 2 Drive, last year I wanted to see how well I could manage controlling the temperature myself so I hold off on buying these. I think going through the often frustrating (to me, check my older posts) experiences of trying to make my kettle stay on the low 225F made me appreciate how incredible the FireBoard + fan combo is!

I followed the instructions on the sticky post in this channel. And since I was already drilling a hole I made another one for the probes, life is better without probe cables going over the lid. I was a bit afraid of drilling the wholes but it was easier than I expected, the main trick was to start from inside the bowl to the drill bit didn't slide off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1016899Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0351.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1016900Click image for larger version

Name:	63971068818__C1C92EDB-19E7-49AF-8715-179CF69D0E66.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	1016898

And my first cook with it was smoked pulled pork:

Name:	IMG_0375.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1016904Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0384.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	1016903Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	1016902Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1016901

And of course the FireBoard session (see if you notice when I lost my patience 🙈):

Name:	2021-04-12.1348 - Safari.app.png
Views:	936
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1016905

Very nice setup...

Comment

That looks just like my copper kettle. Except with an extra hole and cleaner.

The Fireboard and Viper sure do make life easy.

Nice cook

Comment

• fcy
        fcy commented
        Editing a comment
        I decided to clean it a couple weeks ago in anticipation of starting to grill again, the insides had the carbon pieces that look like painting flaking off.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what mine looks like. I gotta get off my fat £€
        And clean that puppy.

Nice setup and neat install. Looks like the pit ran very well on the Fireboard and tracked the set point spot on.

I too have lost patience with a butt or two. I have learned to foil wrap them when my impatience takes over and it accelerates the cook very well.

Comment

• fcy
        fcy commented
        Editing a comment
        On my next butt I'm thinking about either cook at higher temperature (people here told me they got good results even at 325/375) or wrapping it with foil when it hit the stall. Not sure which one I'll try first.

• fcy
        fcy commented
        Editing a comment
        And with the FireBoard holding so well I feel good about trying a brisket for the first time too

• Alphonse
        Alphonse commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, Try wrapping one at ~160F and I think you find it will be more moist. Do let it rest and cools off a bit before you pull/shred it.

That's a very nice looking setup. That combination can cook just about anything.

Comment

Now you are off and runnin'.

Comment

So, now everything should be perfect..............right!?!

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper I was thinking food coming off the grill. But maybe MCS........no that won't happen!

• fcy
            fcy commented
            Editing a comment
            everything is perfect now, I don't need more cookers or cooker add-ons! I don't, really.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            fcy you can stop anytime you want

Heh, heh, heh, MCS, just when ya thought things were just right. ZAP!
          Good lookin rig BTW.

Comment

• fcy
            fcy commented
            Editing a comment
            hahaha I was thinking of you with the "(for now)" in the title!

You voided the warranty! LoL! Lookin good!!

Comment

• fcy
            fcy commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahah that didn't even cross my mind. I went looking out of curiosity thinking "I bought it more than a year ago it sure is past warranty anyway", but was I wrong this thing has a huge warranty! Maybe not having warranty "helps" with MCS haha
            Last edited by fcy; April 12, 2021, 04:48 PM.

I run a Primo XL. The controller is life. Well not exactly, I am sure I could eventually learn how to do without one. But I do not have to, because I had the CyberQ from day one. Sure is easier!! Makes low and slow set and go to sleep. I only go without the fancy stuff for hot and fast - and that is most often chicken. Less than an hour cook time.

For direct grilling I am glad I found an el cheapo kettle on the curb! The Primo has a NASTY habit of spitting out a fireball when used hot and/or direct. The kettle? Not so much. It is a lot tamer. And more eyebrow friendly

Comment

Great set up!

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              You need to slow down, you're approaching 11k and we'll have to honor you with half a dozen congratulatory posts. It's getting to be like birthdays around here

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL, I don't think I count. When it is your job to post, it kinda happens. Troutman

Yea all my kettles and WSMs have the same setup. Hell, I don't even know how to use them without a fan control anymore

Good work.

Comment

Well impressed with the temperature stability of the cook using the Fireboard and Pit Viper, especially for a kettle. The ambient temperature during the cook must have been quite stable as well. Not like here in Scotland with 4 seasons in a day.

Comment

• fcy
                fcy commented
                Editing a comment
                The worst here are the wild winds, but air temperature doesn't vary too much. Maybe it will get worse in the summer when San Francisco's fog arrives, it goes from sunny nice and warm to overcast, cold and windy with the fog: https://twitter.com/KarlTheFog

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here