Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jumbo Joe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumbo Joe

I’m at the beach on vacation and the rental house advertised they had a charcoal grill. Got here and their charcoal grill was a very rusty grill like you find in public parks. A day later I went to an Ace Hardware and bought a Jumbo Joe, which is a Smokey Joe but just a little bigger. I’ve grilled steaks, shrimp and burgers for the last 3 dinners this week. A great little grill! This is now my camping, vacation grill.

Well, what can I say? Sounds like a plan to me.

Comment

I can see the pictures?

Comment

Love my Jumbo Joe. Can handle more than you’d think.

Comment

JJ doesn’t use a whole lot of fuel either.

Comment

I use my JJ most of the time to cook for the two of us. Its perfect for two.

Comment

As is my Lil Joe is perfect fer one.

Comment

This is one reason I have for carrying a few sections of Grillgrate panels with me on vacation (if I ever go again!). You never know what condition the grill will be when you get where you are going, and I would much rather lay my food down on a clean aluminum grate than on some rusty grill at a condo somewhere.

I tossed my last portable grill years ago due to rust while unattended in a back yard shed (it was one of the little propane Go-Anywheres I think). May have to keep an eye out for a Weber Smokey Joe or a Go-Anywhere charcoal grill.

Comment

I was wandering through Lowe's one day shopping for something and came across this table full of clearance items. Stacked up about 4 high were boxes of Jumbo Joe's for $35 each. I quickly grabbled one knowing they were worth about $60 and took my prize home. After a day or so I thought, dang I should have bought them all to sell on CL. Went back and they were long gone.

Fast forward, I've owned that thing for about 2 years now and have used it maybe 6-8 times. Even bought a stainless grill grate and cover for it. Great little vacation cooker for sure but I have very little use for it with all the kettles I own, sooo it's going one the selling block here this summer during my grill clean out sale.

As to needing something to cook on at the vacation spot, a simple grate will do ya know. You can go all Francis Mallmann and impress your friends !!!

Comment

• Clark
                    Clark commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman Did you remember to wash the grate before you put it back in the refrigerator?

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No I kinda like living on the edge. Note the addition of rust on the hot dogs. Gives it that extra "tang" that really highlights my cooking prowess.

I love my Jumbo Joe. You made the right choice getting it. You can grill on it you can smoke on it. And it has a decent amount of real estate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7_A3stFbRlCMkAsq0ZHnc_AR2DKSHwfUDse_FbUWMKdvtyLPVlnULevsOrhvPhdx76eApDouN9prFnQ8cxf0yOdFBfrzMUhgTlH7U-G5kMncSexxjyCDRl6Th5SUG4k3XR0hWM-zawr9rpQIOQXqh1duJq-V2cJhHFf3H9XpDfxRObtkK0GO5q0M4Q7mRx-r8dmSIAfd4MSLQZ1w4s1mWNPQ4e7Y6amgRQTenSBfoq7KWEXrgzFu_n-7eDNunMj
Views:	356
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	1014916

But these public grills also work great for grilling. I just avoid direct grate contact.

Name:	e4PtNZFWKkCQ4uCXNY1jBNeNwIV7-nnssDSDx3OoX6HHh4obVRhKBdW6B_jB_ZAXLIpoo0XYHWrbENtcDwBLb0zqfKbLGkY6pqogWNW5fkrYKOrr2yVc5BqZiy5lHQk3oRUa1XL74gyUpLeltCXsCQz7cw_LA-BANeaDG2tCux0XHysig0RZ47B85rKYjtTYcVKWwohm-KUAD2mV9SKtXr9htsW5hm_OgyPLynv9TgLHyD6GBFuU9cNXbRGJ_-r
Views:	369
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1014915

Like Troutman said you can still get it done with even less equipment.

Name:	uomtYgYd5L2MtydzSgQCQPubhgskh2UyuxZEDhicHoD-mh9qg0H_YTsrk8MOIYuIGh1GblhhuIPHmaXG0qRDBVkv5diwxdkwZXjdaI5KcqcIK7zBuVdNoLoHysHPfrYh0yTOC4TO3rXvBhZtUFJ0WeABeUa4ZlDkD8vyegfwPJjf5HsEy_MmoQN8G5XNd_MCTy6mKmXaBk7ICgVthxayiU62U_7o_JEISCHYpiBSeIV7bMkzOtsb7MOapxax62V
Views:	351
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	1014917

Name:	-H98IsprwIddqKx60wXICZqYo_0racwqMZ-4cQzLPEltMEv5tTzxwz5LYai_l_J1WSA8w5WVNS6RY4OBmWJssYf1eo8mWkoKOgAEgdoLpryTylxnSA5Un7BV_lhpwLURV7Gog93OKS0HTqqA9Rerp1p7NHSPLQXSKReQV7eQWreUxsSUPKmw5DE-jyxexpcOVZrsCpt776LMf0KugzHLuCXYpNyRf_NXab5I3zEJ3F3sZO7UuYH_vwOlVP1Xq_L
Views:	351
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	1014918

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    tenphases I brought foil down to the river instead of dishes in an effort to travel light.

• tenphases
                    tenphases commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh ok, when I was a kid I visited fam in costa rica and they used to cook on rocks and in the earth. I thought it was something like that but still a cool idea!

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have experimented with that concept a little.

I have one and use it often with a SlowNSear.

Comment

Yep, these are really handy indeed. I think everyone needs a little grill/kamado like this. Just in case you are trying to only cook for one, which I do all the time.

Comment

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ya got me thinkin. Mebbee I should think about scalin down from my 22 & up from my L Joe.

Luv my Jumbo Joe,,,,

Comment

Been preachin th Joes long many many years, I think yer Really gonna enjoy this cooker, amigo...

I Have 4 SJS + (1 Green ), 1 Jumbo Joe.

I have several Smokey Joe posts, here...if ya have any interest, please, lmk, here, fer link(s) Otherwise, then, won't bore ya.

It would only be a matter of scale, but we can cipher that all out, if'n we puts our minds together, fer a spell, I'd best reckon....
                      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 9, 2021, 04:47 AM.

Comment

I’ve spent twice what my J Joe cost on accessories for it. I’ve got grill grates, heavy stainless flip up grate, slo n sear, and I’m waiting for the appropriate sale to get a drip pan. I want something nicer to grill on, but nothing does more for what I’ve spent on it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here