Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber 26 Mods To Stabilize Legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber 26 Mods To Stabilize Legs

Was looking to purchase a Weber 26 kettle but hearing a lot about how wobbly it can be. Has anyone here modified the legs to make them more stable? Looking for some ideas/pics if possible.

I don't know if the 26 is anymore wobbly then the 22 with 3 legs but a lot of us have a Performer or two, or three, and that fourth leg and table make this a stable cooking platform. Some have built tables and installed their Weber's. There is a company that makes brackets to put on the kettle so it can be mounted like a Performer. It's the same company that makes the lid hinge.
    Not sure if they make it for the 26. I'll look for the name.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      It is more wobbly.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Forget the hinge, too heavy a lid, you'll tip it over for sure.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree, no need for a hinge when you already have a lid holder. And yes, a 26" is more wobbly, probably due to the increased weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	26 Inch Performer.jpg
Views:	4571
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1005237

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Mojo0209 I wish it was mine. Right now, it's just inspiration.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      So, was this guy just cruising by in his Crown Vic and jumped out to take a quick photo? lol That is a super nice mod, though.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. Pretty sure he was about to leave for an appointment and realized he would miss his beautiful grill. So he hopped out of his Crown Vic and snapped a pic so he could gaze at her while away.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Here's another idea.

Name:	WeberWithGalvanizedPipeLegs.jpg
Views:	4173
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1005243

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Bwaaaaaaa !!!!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Off road Weber for sure!

• Jessterr
        Jessterr commented
        Editing a comment
        Should be critical equipment on the first manned Mars mission.

A couple of other options:

Name:	weber-charcoal-grill-cart-plans-22-kettle-homemade-carttable-26-bbq-diy-custom-mini-ranch-the.jpg
Views:	6242
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1005247

Name:	20160416_144551-e1466810638100.jpg
Views:	4518
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1005248

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Just in terms of keeping a decently small footprint, I love the cut down Ranch frame for this. The Ranch feels about as solid as a Performer with those four legs.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I think Weber should sell the 26 with Ranch legs, not the weak trip pod system.

• zinfella
        zinfella commented
        Editing a comment
        That copper top is a well thought out design, and now my favorite!

Dude, I've owned one going on 2 years now and haven't had one issue with stability. They are a little top heavy if you're moving it around but when on a level surface like your patio, they are fine. Don't listen to the whiney BS they're trying to warn you about.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        I've had mine for several years now and have had no issues at all. Yea it's a little wobbly but I've cooked on it every week and love it.
        I do like a couple of those table ideas above though!!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack No one claimed it to be mountain goat proof. Yea parking a VW bus on top might collapse it as well

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah as wobbly as it is, and as cheap as it feels on those legs, you should definitely not park your VW on it.

I've only noticed it wobbling when I'm scraping the grates, otherwise it really holds up fine. I don't think it's a big deal, but I get it- there's a desire to fix things just cuz.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        It only bothers me a little that it twists. The original bowl on mine had a leg socket that was welded in only one spot instead of three, allowing the whole thing to kind of "take a bow." Weber replaced the whole bowl, and there is the just normal small amount of movement now.

The 3 leg wobbliness of the old 1997 model 22" kettle I used to have are why I gave it to a friend who needed a new Weber. Every time I rolled it and tried to go across the grass, one of the legs would pull out of the socket and it would all fall apart. I would end up just carrying it around by the body if I moved it off concrete.

I've never been a fan of the way the legs to into the socket, especially on older kettles. It had a little dimple in the metal that you were supposed to push in and rotate, but it did a poor job of locking that leg in place in my experience. That's one reason I love the Performer design. Or the Ranch kettle design.

Comment

The 26.75" Kettle fits PERFECTLY in the inside rails of a standard Baker Scaffold from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. I recent finished this one. It's at a local welding shop getting the four corner rails cut down to just above the first horizontal end bar above tabletop height so I can use those as a handle on each end.
        EDIT: added a few pics of the finished project. I had a local welding shop cut down the end verticals to just above tabletop height (thanks RonB!) + apply silver vein powder coating. The silver vein finish looks absolutely amazing. The Santa Maria attachment was custom built by a friend in AZ. The design uses load-bearing pillow blocks as tensioners instead of requiring a handbrake lever. Holds 20+ lbs. Very clever!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jeffdavidson; October 26, 2022, 05:44 AM.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea!

CHNeal - a machine shop or a welding shop should be able to cut it down to the size
          you want.

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          That is badass right there.

• SmittySmoke
          SmittySmoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome rig Jeff! I'm going to do the exact same thing except with a double 26-in Kettle setup. Really appreciate you posting this! Well done! Quick question.. it looks as though you used unknown barbecue mounting brackets to secure it to the frame?? Did you add a riser to the scaffold frame as well? Haven't figured out how to pm because I just joined this forum. Going to try to PM you for components list. Thank you for posting this!

Although I prefer tables, I’ve never knocked over my 26, and if there is anyone that would do it, it would be me. Someday I will get a table for it though. It’s a great grill, don’t let 3 legs keep you from getting one.

Comment

The cost of the 26 now is mind blowing. I was in Ace and they wanted $599 for theirs. I don't know if that's comparable to what others are charging or not, but it is what pushed me over the edge to get the Kamado.

Comment

• CHNeal
            CHNeal commented
            Editing a comment
            Not a chance I would pay that! I want a second and was about to source one. If thats the going price there is a Summit E6 in my furture!

Originally posted by hoovarmin View Post
          The cost of the 26 now is mind blowing. I was in Ace and they wanted $599 for theirs. I don't know if that's comparable to what others are charging or not, but it is what pushed me over the edge to get the Kamado.
          Glad I got mine back in 2017.

Name:	Screenshot_20221017_090129.jpg
Views:	1730
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1310001

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Right, I got mine in 2020 for 329.

Although, I see it for $429 on Amazon right now. ​

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Same at Lowes and Home Depot.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            That's much better than our local ACE, but still $130 higher than what you paid in 2017 and $100 more than what Richard paid in 2020. Our ACE, being on the island, gets away with charging above full retail because people don't like to cross the bridge to go to Lowes or Home Depot. Still, that's a crazy leap in price.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            My ACE a few blocks away tends to be more expensive than other stores nearby.

Yep just asked my wife what she and the kiddo paid for mine Father’s Day 2021 and 329 was the answer and at ACE to boot!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here