Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY BBQ Guru fan Port?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY BBQ Guru fan Port?

I can be pretty cheap sometimes. Because of this, I think I want to figure out a DIY fan port.

BBQ Guru sells this adapter for $27.50 and $11.38 shipping which comes to $38.88. If I can get the cost down I have at least 3 additional grills I would install this port on.

Has anyone done a DIY fan port on your kettle?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Weber_130591288610019881.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1002812

Any idea what the ID of that is?

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      What is the OD of the fan part that goes into the adapter? Im not sure how tight of a fit that needs to be.

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      My Digi Q adapter has a 1.21 ID, the Pit Viper fan collar is 1.20 adjacent to the elastomeric O ring. Electrical flex conduit is 1.21 od so you might be able to use the clamp type adapter that fastens to electrical boxes to secure the conduit. You might have to cut a relief slot to allow it to clamp a little tighter.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't see why that wouldn't work. I was thinking about SS or aluminum tubing (not pipe) in either Imperial or metric sizes. Usually available at local metal supply places that don't need to sell you a whole stick. I'm not sure if JB Weld makes anything for those materials but I'm sure you could find something that would help set the nut inside. I also didn't realize there was an oring in there which probably helps keep it in place.

I'm thinking I could probably just take a piece of SS scrap sheet metal, roll it up, and secure it with a bolt. Then I could use that bolt to support a nut holder in the center.

Comment

@Attack I have that guru adapter on my Performer. What exactly is your question?

I drilled a 1 inch hole with a step bit I had, on the front side in the gap between the sweepers, just below the charcoal grate, and installed that adapter. I keep the silicone plug that came with it installed when not using the fan.

Edit: ok I see the question. I sure didn’t pay that much - surprised it’s that high now. Then again it came with a PartyQ I paid $100 for on a Black Friday sale, maybe. you can probably mimic something like it with a close pipe nipple, but having the threaded part and the inside deflector for bolting it on will be tricky. Plus the one from BBQguru is an exact fit for the fans to friction fit.
      Last edited by jfmorris; March 13, 2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Good points. I'll mess around a little and see if it seems worth the effort. I have a BBQGuru adapter on my 26 (also for my kamado) But would like one for my 22 and 18 here and my 22" in California.

I went ahead and bought one. Then used a step bit to tap the hole. I was gonna DIY it too but then I figured I wanted to make sure I got a tight seal to the body of the kettle.

Granted, I was only installing one. But I feel like I paid like 10 bucks for the one I got, unfortunately I can't remember where I bought it.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. I had no idea an adapter might be available anywhere else. I would happily pay $30 for 3.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here