Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Input Please: Outdoor Space + High End Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Input Please: Outdoor Space + High End Cooker

So ..... we are getting ready for summer. From now until June, I have a bunch to do. We are having a monster backyard part for the two girls to celebrate being 18 and graduating high school and the (hopefully) end of COVID lockdowns and such. We will be getting the flowerbeds back in shape, reseeding the lawn, and such.

AND building a separate space for outdoor cooking. It won't be a true outdoor kitchen just yet. That will come eventually. To start, I'm going to pave in a 6'x12' space at the end of the patio. That will be the cooking space and all my cookers, etc will move off of the patio. That means the whole patio can be dedicated to seating. We are going to put in a bar height table with propane burners that can seat 6 comfortably and a 4 person bistro style table, giving us much more patio seating. For the big parties, we put pop-ups in the yard and folding tables and chairs. Doing that, we can seat about 35 people at tables in our backyard, between the pop-ups and patio seating.

Now, Here's the input I need :-)

- what cooker should I buy? I intend to replace the Hasty-Bake and the WSM with a single, high end cooker that can "do it all".
    - Any recommendations for free standing workspace with storage that you might have.
    - Any other cool ideas, of course!

So, here are the four cookers I'm looking at

Hasty-Bake 357 Pro
    Engelbrecht Braten 1000
    Lone Star Grills 24x48 Adjustable Smoker
    AZ BBQ Outfitters Boothill Combo Grill/Smoker

I'm open to other options, but those are the ones I'm researching. Here's my initial thinking, including my first take on ranking them from 1 to 4
    1. LSG Adjustable Smoker - It really does do everything. I know several people in the pit that have one and love it. It's wood and charcoal capable. Has the largest cooking space. Built in America. Highest all in price.
    2. Engelbrecht Braten 1000 - Meathead and Max Good have reviewed it and cooked on it and gave it a Platinum Medal. It does everything including being an offset smoker. It is wood and charcoal capable. It's the prettiest of all of the choices. It has the smallest cooking space. Built in America. Lowest all in price.
    3. AZ BBQ Boothill Combo - It does everything including being an offset smoker. It is wood and charcoal capable. It's standard looking. It has a large cooking space, but not as big as the LSG. Built in America AND Veteran owned. Middle of the pack on price.
    4. Hasty-Bake 357 Pro - it does everything. Nearly as small cooking space as the Engelbrecht. Several people in the pit have one. It's track record is bumpy, some good, some bad. Charcoal only (maybe you could do wood, but not really designed for that). Meathead gave it a Platinum Medal and Max Good gives it a great walk around.
    I'll be refurbing/cleaning up the HB Gourmet and WSM and selling them to some lucky individual who will get them at amazing prices compared to retail MSRP. :-)

And a few last comments. Generally, the Boothill has the heaviest duty build, the Hasty-Bake the lightest build, and the LSG and Engelbrecht are about comparable in build. I don't want to downgrade my cooking space and none of these would do that. I'm not really sure, though, that I need a 24X48 cooker with 1400 square inches of grate space. That may knock the LSG down to #3 and move the Engelbrecht and Boothill up.

AZ Fogey Alphonse CaptainMike perry green Smoldering Flea I know all of you have researched, bought, or used one of the cookers on my list. Would love to hear from you guys.

So, fire away ..... also, here's pictures of each choice

LSG 24X48 Adjustable
    Click image for larger version

Name:	LSG-Adjustable.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	995843

Engelbrecht Braten 1000

Name:	Engelbrecht_Braten.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	995844

AZ BBQ Outfitters Boothill

Name:	AZBBQ-Boothill.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	995845

Hasty-Bake 357 Pro

Name:	HB-357-Pro.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	995846

Not that I know much, but a little. Mebbee checkout Kalamazoo’s wares. They seem to be the Roll’s of cookerdom! The Hi-brid caught my eye.
    Last edited by FireMan; February 26, 2021, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      great, thanks for adding to my list o'cookers :-)

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, you're planning to pay the difference between the Kalamazoo and my list of choices, right?

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, you were the one who said high end. So, I thought in the true spirit of MCS I’d , “pow, send you to the moon Alice!

AZ BBQ Outfitters Tombstone

Name:	stacks-image-8322cd6-500x374.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	995868

Comment

• Dick Anderson
      Dick Anderson commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a machine!

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow that got everything but the kitchen sink. Wow that is kool!!

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      is there ever too much?

Man oh man, tough choices. I looked hard at all, plus several others, and any of them would be a great choice. I opted for the LSG 24x40 pipe smoker because, with a few affordable upgrades and accessories, it pretty much does it all. At approx 2100 inches of total cooking space I doubt I'll ever run out of room, plus it's just a beautiful, well made piece of functional art. It is pretty expensive, but it's also a lifetime purchase/purchase of a lifetime and I find value in that.

If you go the LSG route in any configuration you better get it ordered 3 weeks ago. I ordered mine 10/05/2020 and just got off the phone with them 10 minutes ago telling me that it was complete and will ship next week. I love the coincidence!!

Definitely following this and excited to see what your choice will be.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; February 26, 2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Just curious if you’ve looked at the M-Grills stuff at all? They have a bigger model and they cover the do it all space.

M Grills & Blazn Grill Works offers expertly crafted, American made grills and smokers manufactured in the USA. Our product line includes high-performance pellet, charcoal, and wood grills and smokers as well as competition and commercial grills made entirely in the United States.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't looked at M-Grills ..... but thanks for adding more to the list

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        If I didn’t have the WSCG before I knew about them, I’d have an M-1.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to suggest M Grills as well.

I didn't even understand the scale of this monster when I posted it.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        WoW what a SpmoGrillbbq'r
        Not a set it and forget it. The only thing missing is a cooler for PBR.

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        when are you going to try an Old Rasputin?!!!

I ordered my LSG 24x48 Adjustable the end of October 2020 and it just shipped a couple days ago. That's 4 full months almost to the day. I'm excited for it to get here but haven't cooked on one yet so I'll be quiet. Good luck with your decision ecowper.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, you better keep quiet .....TIL NEXT WEEK!

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, how did cut in front of me in line!! You must know someone.....

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Happy Lone Star grilling to you and Lone Star Beer too.
        (if they run out of PBR, that is) LOL

In addition to the cookers (for which I'll let others lead you down that rabbit hole)... and since you're eventually going to build a complete outdoor kitchen ... don't forget gas, electricity, water (hot and cold), and sewer (at least sufficient for a sink or two). It's a lot cheaper and easier to build them in initially than to retrofit them later.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I will at least rough in the conduit and pipe underneath and stub off ..... nice thing is that it is along a wall of the house, so fairly easy to pull the electricity/water/gas as needed.

That sounds like so much fun, both for the upcoming celebration and the longer term plan.

I'm planning on the LSG adjustable for my outdoor kitchen/seating area. And a flat top. And a gasser (maybe combined with flat top?). And a pizza oven/tandoor that may tap into the chimney for our fireplace that shares a wall with the outdoor space.

You're welcome in advance for adding to the MCS aspect of your outdoor kitchen.

I would imagine that you could rig a temporary built-in for the LSG adjustable to hold it until you do your final configuration.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a Blackstone pizza oven that I will be keeping and moving into the outdoor cooking space. A flattop will be coming sooner or later. And yes, thanks for the MCS contribution :-)

The Hasty-Bake Pro has been eliminated. It is really just too expensive for what you get. It’s the lightest materials of the 4 cookers. And yes, I do love Hasty-Bake, but I really wouldn’t put their gear in the same category as the other three in terms of build quality, capability, materials used, etc.

The LSG may be eliminated just due to the long lead time. It looks like Engelbrecht and AZ BBQ can fabricate and ship in 4 weeks, give or take.

Comment

Well, I skimmed over this old thread too.

So .... for a variety of reasons, I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and my MCS is kicking in hard. I’m considering two different possibilities: 1. Upgrade house range from a nice LG electric to a top of the line LG gas range or 2. Get a premium grill/smoker and replace the Hasty-Bake Gourmet and WSM If I upgrade

But based on your latest notes, I'd suggest the AZ BBQ for similar reasons that I originally suggested the LSG, as that they seem more thoughtful on the little quality of life touches for someone who uses it 2-3x week.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I really try to think about the little quality of life stuff.

While not in consideration, I appreciate Grilla's thought process towards assembly for example. The fact that they've more or less built all of their grills to be assembled in 20-30 minutes more or less is the kind of thought process I'm looking for in terms of making it easier for the end user.

Comparing the AZ and the EB, I feel like the AZ BBQ folks have put more thought into actually making it more fun to use and/or clean.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        STEbbq I would totally put Grilla in consideration except that they only have pellet grills

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, there is the Kong!

Why no pellet grill in the running?

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        They just don’t do it for me. Light smoke profile, lack of really good steak cooking capability, and they seem boring from a cooking and fire management perspective. I admit, I might be wrong about all that, but it’s always been why I’m not really interested in pellet grills.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your response.
        The more automated our cookers are the less skill is required. I totally understand, and you are correct.
        I wish you Happy Grilling, and enjoyment.

Of the choices, I would seriously consider the Lone Star or the recently added M1.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
        So ..... we are getting ready for summer.
        All - this is what happens to people around Seattle when we see a sliver of sunshine in February. "OMG SUN! Let's get ready for summer!!"

Note that it's in the 40s right now

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I had snow/sleet/pellet mix at my house two days ago LOL

• PBCDad
          PBCDad commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha, my wife just asked today where we were going to go on vacation this summer. It's real!

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          We're in the gray(t) N.W. every day is a BBQ day!\
          Heck I used to grill in Chicago winters.

I have no experience with any of your contenders but if it were me I would lean hard towards the Engelbrecht. It really seems capable of anything and let’s all admit it. The cool factor is real and that cooker looks very cool. Price is right too

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve got my wife providing input on appearance .... she ranks Engelbrecht 1 and AZ BBQ Boothill as 2 from that perspective

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here