Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There can only be one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There can only be one

Hello everyone and happy Friday to those reading today!

I recently moved across the country and sold my old Weber Genesis before the trip. I'm ready to buy myself a moving gift, and have wanted a smoker for a long time.

I'll try not to turn this into a novel...

I only want to buy one cooker, and I want it to be able to both smoke and grill/sear at high heat. Budget is <$800. I work from home, so I'm not totally restricted to set-and-forget options (and I enjoy the babysitting to some degree). Maybe this also opens the door to some older models that might not have all of the fancy apps/controls.

Initially thought I was going to get a pellet grill, but I've had second thoughts especially considering the searing aspect. I think I'm leaning more towards charcoal, but am open to anything as I don't have a ton of experience outside of gas at this point (but plenty of time to learn). Really just want to make one purchase and not have to buy any add-on's if possible.

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations with all of that in mind!

Thanks from NC

Welcome to the pit. Lots of variables here, with one of the biggest being how many do you want to cook for? If you only need a modest amount of room, a SNS Deluxe Kettle may work for you, but it has limited space.

https://snsgrills.com/collections/gr...e-kettle-grill
    Last edited by klflowers; October 23, 2020, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Chriskempton7
      Chriskempton7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the recommendation! I'm not too familiar with SNS, so will definitely check this out. I'm usually just cooking for 2-4 people, but do occasionally grill 6-8 steaks or 3-4 racks of ribs. Might be a bit tight on the SNS, but it's not a common occurrence. Would love to smoke this Thanksgiving's turkey, and it doesn't look like that'd be a problem on the SNS.

Maybe the Masterbuilt gravity feed charcoal grill? It had some initial problems at launch but the member here that have say they’re happy overall. Certainly within your budget. Just a thought.

Comment

I agree with klflowers - get a kettle grill and a Slow 'N Sear. Either the SnS kettle, or the Weber kettle. In fact, take a look at the Weber 26" kettle, there's a matching Slow N Sear called 'XL'.

Comment

• Chriskempton7
        Chriskempton7 commented
        Editing a comment
        The extra room on the Weber 26" with the SnS XL add-on would definitely be nice. I'm looking back and forth at the SnS and Weber kettles, any differences I'm missing that would be lost by going Weber 26" with SnS XL compared to the SnS Deluxe (outside of size)?
        Thanks!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I would suggest and welcome to The Pit.

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm throwing in with the 26" Kettle and the SNS XL. For what you described it's ideal and you'd come in below your price point. Welcome to The Pit.

Welcome from the California Delta. A couple of good suggestion already.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa.
        Can't go wrong with a kettle.

Comment

I forgot about the Weber 26 with a slow n sear xl. That gives you a lot more cooking area, and would be in your budget.

Comment

A Kamado could be a good option too. There are a few close to your price range and some end of season sales out there. Still just slightly over your budget, but the WSCG is supposed to drop $500 in the next few weeks with Gen 2. A Kamado will be more efficient if you plan overnight cooks and don’t want to get up in middle of night.

Also, just a little over your budget is the Weber SmokeFire. I promise you it will sear just fine going to 600 degrees. It replaced my gasser and later my Camp Chef Woodwind. Also, for pellet grills CampChef has several options, most all compatible with their SearBox that gives you a small gas searing grill attached to the side of the grill. Home Depot has the CampChef SG for $600 and the SearBox is around $200.

Both of those options do not need any more add ons to cook just about anything. However, if you love wings and drumsticks I would recommend a Vortex if you go kettle or Kamado.

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              Lowes used to give 10% off coupons to people moving, might help some with the cost if they still do and don’t exclude grills.

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              A kamado seems like great solution. I have a Vision Grill from Costco. 3 or 4 racks of ribs will not fit unless you bought a rack system. I don't typically do ribs on it but I do grill and smoke on it. I can go to sleep with the vents in the right spot and wake up knowing that the temp will be the same in the morning (with enough fuel). It will fit a brisket and a couple of butts.

+1 for the Weber 26” with SNS. Great versatility and capacity. Well within your budget. Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

gassers will work, can not believe said that, use wood chips wrapped on foil with a few hole, or a smoking tube.
              Pit boss has a sear station in there pellet grills.

Comment

+1 for the Weber 26 with an sns and a temperature controller. All in your budget and it can do everything and handle big loads! If you go the sns ksttle route but are worried about capacity grab a Cajun Bandit stacker and you will be set to feed the family or an army.

Comment

I second the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. I is the one grill to rule them all. Works like a Kamado and a Kettle. Sears, smokes, grills, direct. indirect. I love mine.

Comment

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    But can you get one for under $800? If you can, I'm getting one today. Just don't tell my wife.

Despite its build issues, which can be worked around, the Masterbuilt gravity 1050 has generally replaced the gasser and the other smokers. Can really achieve 700F. And can be controlled down to ~180 with no effort.

Comment

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Plus 1 as the other prolific MB560 owner.

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
                    Agree with all above. Weber kettle, a couple of baskets or the SnS will pretty much let you do all the basics of grilling, smoking. Enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here