Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow N Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow N Sear

Hey everybody, this is my first time posting a question,
    I just got a weber 26in kettle grill and I smoked a 10lb pork butt using the slow n sear for my first cook. Everything went great for the first 6 hours, I went to add more coals to the slow n sear, i was going to power through the stall. I was maintaining a temp of around 275. My question is has anybody ever have a problem add more charcoal to the SnS and the temperature start to drop. I could figure out what was going on until I looked at the SnS and the coals weren't burning. It turned out I had to push down all the ash from the SnS to get air flowing through it. Has anybody had this problem.

Oh yeah I wrapped the shoulder with foil and finished the cook in 10 hours and it came out perfect.

Comment

I’ve run into this. When I refuel I rap something hard against the slow and seat to clear the ash and then rake the lit coals into a pile one one side and then fill in the unlit charcoal.

Comment

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep me too. It has to breathe. Happy your cook was successful.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the way to do it.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        As Rusty says, it’s good to breath.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

What he said, I knock that ash down around hour #3 and add a few unlit if needed.

Comment

This isn’t a knock on the SlowNSear, because I think it a great tool. But, prefer the fuse or snake method when cooking something that will take longer than 6-8 hours, because you don’t have to refuel. Admittedly it is a little more trouble to set up with the water pan.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            You are spot on, Brother. I have 4 ea V1.0 SnS, 1 XL 1.0 (One 2.0 XL) spare as a backup, tucked away. fer my 26, an no knock was ever perceived, even by our most sensitive scientific equipment that we currently possess, here at FBB. FWD.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I actually get 12+ at 225 with my original SNS, somehow...

I will second the above advice to stir or knock the ash down at about the 3-4 hr mark, then do a sweep/clear with the handle if you have the Premium kettle with the ash sweep vent handle. A re-fuel is usually needed around the 7 or 8 hr mark if memory serves, and an ash knock and sweep then as well. This used to be on SnSGrills' website in their instructions, I am surprised to see it missing.

Comment

The key is to clear some ashes and refuel before the temperature drops too much. It's a long hard climb when you get to where the charcoal is almost depleted and you are still hours from being done with the cook.

Comment

I also like to put some foil over the food to shield it from ash when I do a sweep and add fuel.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Eh shoot or ya could juss blow on it as yer knock in the ash.

Thank everyone for your response, I learned what I need to do from your support. Thanks

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here