Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best side burner for gas grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    replied
    I hate to say it, but most outdoor gas grills are not going to offer a side burner much bigger than 12,000 BTU's or so - comparable to the larger burner on your kitchen stove.

If you REALLY want to boil water outside, you are going to need a standalone stove or burner. Camp Chef makes some nice outdoor 2 and 3 burner portable stoves that also offer lots of options like griddles, pizza ovens and other goodies. Most of their burners are 30,000 BTU's.

I have this 60,000 BTU burner for brewing beer, and outdoor boiling:

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...s%2C255&sr=8-1

I also picked up this dual burner cart used for $50 local a few weeks ago, and it REALLY can cook with a 105,000 BTU jet burner and a 60,000 BTU standard burner:

https://www.amazon.com/King-Kooker-9...1374975&sr=8-1

Something like this looks nicer, with three 30,000 BTU burners:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cam...dCatid=3574002

With 105,000 BTU's, I did a shrimp boil in a 7 gallon pot for Memorial Day. I started with 3.5 gallons of water, which reached a boil in 10-15 minutes, then I added 5 pounds of new potatoes, 3 onions, 12 ears of corn, 3 pounds of sliced smoked sausage and 7 pounds of shrimp. Additions were every 5 to 10 minutes, and meal was ready in about 45 minutes total. I was very happy NOT to be doing that in the kitchen but outdoors, due to the heat generated. It would take an hour probably to just get the initial water to a rolling boil on a 12,000 BTU burner.
    Last edited by jfmorris; June 5, 2020, 10:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    The Weber grills go up to 12k BTU's others max out at about 10k.. These are the $700 -1000 range or up to $3000 for the high end ones with 304 SS and side burners up to 18k BTU's. I think a 12k Weber would work well. I never use full power on my 15k burner on our stove. The other option is to go with a built in option in a counter. These run 3 -700 bucks...

Leave a comment:

• Max Good
    replied
    What's your price range? Any other must haves?

Leave a comment:

• sandrkimberling
    started a topic Best side burner for gas grill?

Best side burner for gas grill?

Anybody have any suggestions for a gas grill with the best, strongest, side burner? I love charcoal but I’d like to add a gas grill - and if I’m going to spend the money on one, I’d like something I can really use. I do a ton of water bath and pressure canning and it would be cool (pun intended) if I could do it outside, rather than heating up my tiny kitchen. Hence the powerful side burner. Any ideas? Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here