Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better / best Smoker/grill combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better / best Smoker/grill combo

Hi,
    fairly new to slow cooking and smoking and have never owned a charcoal grill. Always cook on the webber summit gas grill & getting boring. I read and watched the review on the masterbuilt gravity series 560 digital charcoal grill + smoker as well as the webber summit charcoal grill. I feel like for convince the masterbuilt digital heat regulator seems nice to set it and forget it. It seems like I can purchase a fan for the webber that does that as well ? I don't think that I would do something that takes me reloading charcoal or wood but although the summit grates can open/ he masterbuilt gravity boxes seems ?ore convenient?? Lately, don't hate but I put my pizza stone right on the grate in my glass grill crank it to over 700 and turn out pizzas every 3 minutes. I like the webber option for the pizza stone but I can just put my stone on the grate of the masterbuilt right?

what's the vest buy? Am I missing something?

Thanks!!!
    frankie

My guess is the masterbuilt isn’t the best for pizza. Depending on the temperature range the probe is rated for, it might not like high temperatures.

but it’s 1/3 the cost of a summit charcoal grill. And it is computer controlled out of the box. You can get a regular kettle for higher temperature direct heat grilling or pizza AND the masterbuilt AND still have $800-$900 cash in your pocket. Then you have a charcoal smoker to play with, a premium gas grill, and a cheapie kettle for the heck of it (wouldn’t need a Weber unless you wanted it, I find that the $60 off brand kettle I found on the side of the road works just fine for direct grilling AND even better I don’t have to worry as much about kamado flash over ).

Bit if your budget allows, the summit charcoal cooker is great. You are also in the general price range of a Primo XL or XL BGE, as well as several others.

Comment

The MB 560 will go upwards of 700 degrees, indirect. I have not cooked pizzas on mine to report how well the process works, but another member reported success with pizzas on his. No direct experience with the Weber Summit charcoal myself, but those who have them seem to love them. Big price difference between the two.

Comment

I'm fairly new to slow cooking and smoking and I've never owned a charcoal grill or smoker. I've just been messing around slow cooking with the wood chip box on the webber summit gas grill & it's getting boring. I've narrowed it down to 2 cookers and I've read and watched the review on the masterbuilt gravity series 560 digital charcoal grill + smoker as well as the webber summit charcoal grill. I feel like for convince the masterbuilt digital heat regulator seems nice to set it and forget it. It seems like I can purchase a fan for the webber that does that as well. But will that be as consistent/ convenient to use over a built in? I don't think that I would cook something that takes me reloading charcoal or wood but if I did I understand that the summit cook grates as well as defuse plate can open to allow this but the masterbuilt gravity boxes seems more convenient to use as it's right on the side and just dump more in?
        Also, don't hate, but for 2 years now every friday night I put my double pizza stone right on the grate in my gas grill and crank it with all burners on to over 800 and turn out pizzas every 3 minutes. (800 on the top temp reading which I know isn't good to use. I did put my thermo works reader on the pizza stone but it melted hahahaha so I'm going with hot enough to cook 12" pizzas in about 3 min each lol. I like the webber option for the pizza stone but I can just put my stone on the grate of the masterbuilt right? I assume they both get hot enough to match the gas summit hi temps?

what's the best buy under $1500? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, I think you just asked the exact same thing again here. I have nothing else to add so maybe someone else does.

Yes, you missed out in spelling class when you wuz goin ta school. Welcome, eat good and have fun,

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Propper Spailin is jus a crutch some folks like to Lourd bout, nag bout, to make emselves 'appear' Impotent LOL!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          @Mr.Bones , as in a Vary Impotant Pirsen?

• Franknjr
          Franknjr commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Fireman. Did that make you feel good? I'm just asking about grilling not spell check. [edited by Huskee]

Welcome to The Pit. It would help us help you if you commented on the two replies above.

Comment

• Franknjr
          Franknjr commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks huskee and RonB. Huskee, anything that you don't like about it? It would all be indirect heat right? To sear you just turn the temp up from the digital control but you don't actually get direct flame? Ron, thoughts? Is it a pain to refill fuel or keep temp steady on the webber. Do you use the fan attachment to do so?

I have a Kettle and use an SnS and fan controller. Smoking at 225°, I can get close to 8 hours without adding charcoal. If I use a higher temp, I get less time.

Comment

Dunno enough here. The Gravity is an easy to use cooker. 700* should make a fairly nice pizza, and indirect should work well for it, though I think a flat surface makes a nicer pizza.

im unclear if we’re making our own dough, cooking premades, something in between. If you’re making scratch pizza, I would get a Stone or a steel.

On the other hand, a Kamado style cooker is a cultish item that isn’t for everyone. Will definitely give you pizza temps if you dial it wide open, and can give you super steady low temps when you dial it down. It is not the most responsive cooker, though the Weber has improved on the ceramic tradition in that regard.

im not sure how you dialed it down to these two coolers and what your larger cooking goals are, nor your level of experience. That said, I’m leaning towards recommending the MB560 for you. Easier to use, a lot of fun, and a lesser investment if you’re not loving it.

Comment

• Franknjr
            Franknjr commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks potkettleblack. I make my own dough. I'd still be putting the pizza stone directly on the grill grate. I was looking to make sure the grill can get get hot enough to match the gas grill temps or at least close. The pizza is secondary. More so I'm just looking to compare the 2 cookers and get some feedback from those that have them. Your right, it seems that the Weber Kamado is more a cultish item and I'm starting to understand the large price tag.

• Franknjr
            Franknjr commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, I came to these 2 just from the reviews on this site, no real science on the choice. Just a lot of options & I wanted a smoker/ grill combo. I can cook almost anything on the gas & I'm looking to expand to wood/charcoal. Also not looking to have multiple cookers on around. 2 is enough w/ a real pizza oven in the list.
            Thanks.

Franknjr As Potkettleblack put it well, not knowing your goals, or experience, you do tell us you want to make pizza, and that you like the way you can do that on your Weber Summit gas grill in 3 minutes per pizza. You can reach that same 700F easily on the Masterbuilt, 15 minutes from lighting the fire according to both their marketing, and testing done by Huskee. And yes - the Masterbuilt cooks with indirect heat. The fact is, you don't really want direct heat on most pizza stones, as it could lead you to burn or scorch the pizza crust before the top is cooked. I cook pizza on my Weber Performer charcoal grill, and it would be very difficult to achieve 700F or hotter indirect cooking on the traditional Weber kettle. I have been able to get 550F or so indirect for cooking pizzas, by cracking the lid, allowing more fuel to reach the fire and allowing wood chunks on top of the charcoal to burn with an open flame (wood fired pizza). The Weber summit charcoal grill, like a kamado, has a diffuser plate that is intended for indirect cooking, with the diffuser placed between the charcoal fire and the food. However, I am pretty certain most kamados, including the Summit, intend for the diffuser to be used for high temperature cooking - I feel its more for low and slow, and not a hot fire with flames shooting up around the edge of the cooker.

The Masterbuilt will let you change temperatures much more quickly than you likely will likely be able to do on other charcoal grills.

Anyway, I think you kind of confused a lot of folks, as you asked an unclear question, and when folks tried to respond, you basically pasted the same question and asked it all over again, rather than responding to the folks trying to help you. We have a lot of folks around here where English is a second language, so its ok if you can't get the words out. We will do our best to help you once we understand you fully.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Franknjr yes I agree that the Weber Summit Charcoal can do direct cooking, with the charcoal at two different levels I believe, that the Masterbuilt won't do. It just takes longer to setup and is harder to switch to a different mode, but I deal with that on my Weber Performer Deluxe. And don't forget you have the Summit gas grill for high heat searing. So if you want to do low and slow on charcoal, and direct sear at the start or finish, you still have the gas grill available for that.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Franknjr And yes, the main difference when you get down to it is that the Masterbuilt is much like a pellet cooker, just using charcoal in place of pellets. To me, there is something to be said for not needing AC power when you are cooking with live fire. You can cook on a Weber kettle or summit with charcoal and wood, even when the power is out... It just takes 30+ minutes to get charcoal going in a chimney, then dump into the grill and setup the fire the way you want.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Franknjr I see the Weber charcoal grill versus the Masterbuilt as a time versus convenience proposition. The Masterbuilt probably also has more overall cooking space if that is a consideration. But I feel any Weber charcoal grill, be it a low end kettle or the high end Summit, or the Performer that is in between, will outlast the Masterbuilt (or a pellet smoker) by decades.

I have a kettle and Smoenator with a DigiQ and Pit Boss fan. Perfect set-up for me, as I have been smoking since the '70's, I smoke everhing, from bacon, brisket, butts, turkey's you name it. Go wuth the Summiit and add a air controller and you won't be sorrpy. Just my opinion.

digi

Comment

Let me see if I understand what you want to accomplish.

1. You want to add a smoker to your gas grill and don’t want to go beyond two grills. Correct?

2. I know you are happy with the pizza you produce on your gas grill, but what else are you happy with?

3. What do you want to cook that you can’t cook to your satisfaction on your gas grill?
            Last edited by LA Pork Butt; May 26, 2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Franknjr
              Franknjr commented
              Editing a comment
              @laporkbutt Hi, looking to get that charcoal/wood taste & feel & stick with 2 grills. I know I can add smoke to the gas, but is it really the same? I've done brisket, butts, flanks, fish & a lot more on the gas for a few years now, I could probably figure out delicates like scallops if I needed to. I love the gas, just looking to expand. When I read the blogs & eat the food I feel like I'm missing out just having a gas grill.

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              Franknjr no cooker can do everything perfectly. There will always be trade offs just as there are between gas and Charcoal, wood or pellets. Kamado do everything well and some things are more inconvenient. I don’t know the Masterbuilt from experience, but it sounds like it will do everything you want. Price is the difference. There is no perfect cooker. You need to pull the trigger knowing the cooker will be lacking in some way.

Upon some reflection you may simply have a mild case of MCS.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here